When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone into cycling ?

sgtguk

Just started cycling a couple of weeks back and I've def caught the bug, bought myself a nice Chris Boardman hybrid road bike to start as I like to do a bit of off road cycling too, really enjoying it and get on the road every morning for a 10 mile run, sets me up for the day :) 

Did my first event today, a 60 mile plus in the countryside around Cambridgeshire, absolutely knackered me out but loved it :inverted:  

Anyone else into it, if so tips would be appreciated guys ;)  

Mountain Biking is my passion but I commute and stick road miles in during the winter when the trails become unrideable.

London out to Essex is my stomping ground but venture further afield when 'er indoors' gives me a pass ;)

Only advice I can offer is enjoy yourself, there's a great social side to cycling. Riding with others brings motivation & laughs :)

My avitar is my current ride, I bought the bike just for the frame and promptly stripped the parts off and rebuilt with parts that I hand selected. I have rebuilt her once again since first buying her and she looks slick... I prefer club rides, 40-50 miles, group I ride with meets weekly and we are more of the "weekend warrior" variety :bangin:

post-37023-0-22878700-1436738982_thumb.j

• Like 1

I cycle just purely for exercise, nothing fancy here, just a Trek 1.1 but what it lacks in finesse makes me work harder and thus less fat haha.

I built my own carbon fibre mountain bike about 3 years ago. Went with a 1x10 system. Hydraulic disc brakes. Hard tail, front fork is rigid carbon fibre as well. Even the wheels are carbon fibre. At my age, it's more than fine.

Dude...seriously, what *can't* you do?   Nice bike!

Yeah, I love cycling. I don't ride as much these days though. Most of my bikes are classics like me ;)

I'm in the UK and rode through 8 countries in Europe when I was 12 years old cycle touring along with my father. I then did it again at age 16 and started racing when I was 17. I mostly rode time trials and managed 22'06" for a club 10. I did a few mountain bike races but then joined the Royal Navy and represented the RN in both cycling and running.

As my bikes are all quite old they're mostly steel, although I do have 3 Aluminium mountain bikes - Marin full suss, Cannondale hardtail and an old hack that I built up for my father. My road bikes are a Peugeot 753 hill climb bike, Basso SLX race bike, Basso SL low profile TT bike and a Pinarello training bike that I've just fitted flat bars to so I can relax in a head up stance and enjoy the world.

I built my own carbon fibre mountain bike about 3 years ago. Went with a 1x10 system. Hydraulic disc brakes. Hard tail, front fork is rigid carbon fibre as well. Even the wheels are carbon fibre. At my age, it's more than fine.

ba35af01a8a9509336b5dd7a0a3e1d42.jpg

5781632ca63b853f1132d08038b65d4d.jpg

17745ce6f88f142324995f1d3a560f3b.jpg

Great bike, HOPE components are awesome (the brakes :drool: ) !

Yes, the best parts on the market !  Had a lot of Mountain bikes build by me in the past, santacruz, specialized, cannondale, rocky mountain, and YETI .   Waouh, that was a great hobby !

Your black and red built is beautiful, i love that  :clap:

Been into my off road mountain biking about 3 years now started of on a cube hard tail and pretty much done everything on it road, cycle paths, trail centers and a bit of light downhill, which is a real experience on a hard tail lol.

Had a decent full sus for the past year and been hitting some bigger and knarlier stuff of late so gone fully armoured and padded up to protect my old bones. But the rush I get from it is unreal takes me back to my old BMX days when I was a kid (yeah first time round ha).

Still get out often on the road and cycle paths I just swap wheels over to my city wheels and tires and lock my suspension out as its an all round AM bike. The rig is a bit  battered now from all the uplift days but love it. also just missed out on a Lads trip to the Alps for 7 days but it was too close to the family holiday and couldn't get the extra time off work (damn it).

Ceejay is right though there is a great social side to biking no matter what format you are into. I have met some great people out on the trials and some interesting stories.

get out there and enjoy is what I say

my current rig is setup for AM running wide bars, 150mm suspension and 1x10 gearing - Tomac snyper frame

D.

Some awesome set ups you guys have, Db that's a cracking bit of kit mate  :) like the man said is there nothing you can't do !  Anyone have any tips for clip in shoe set ups for road use? My knees took a battering yesterday, my trainers were slipping about all over the place  ;)

Some awesome set ups you guys have, Db that's a cracking bit of kit mate  :) like the man said is there nothing you can't do !  Anyone have any tips for clip in shoe set ups for road use? My knees took a battering yesterday, my trainers were slipping about all over the place  ;)

I've used Look since the 1980's with good results. Look do different styles cleats, some that allow for some sideways twist in the knee which helps prevent damage if the cleats aren't set perfectly.

You should have the ball of your foot over the axial of the pedal - this is for general road use, if you want to develop more power then move your foot back a little on the pedal - max 5-8mm. This gives more leverage but is more fatiguing.

There are plenty of good clipless set-ups out there; I use Shimano off road and they also work very well.

• Like 1

Things have changed over the years with toe clips, when I raced back in the late 70's we used toe clips, sole cleats and a leather strap! I estimate that I cyceld circa 250,000 miles in training over the years and had the opportunity of racing in the Skol 6 and was ranked in the top 10 in the UK when younger! Do Alan still make road frames, that was what I used with Campagnolo and Zeus 2000 gear. I was lucky enough to be sponsored by Cutty Sark whisky :-)

AJ

I've used Look since the 1980's with good results. Look do different styles cleats, some that allow for some sideways twist in the knee which helps prevent damage if the cleats aren't set perfectly.

You should have the ball of your foot over the axial of the pedal - this is for general road use, if you want to develop more power then move your foot back a little on the pedal - max 5-8mm. This gives more leverage but is more fatiguing.

There are plenty of good clipless set-ups out there; I use Shimano off road and they also work very well.

Thanks mate I'll take a look, only thing that worries me is falling off at the first junction I come to  :partytime:

Thanks mate I'll take a look, only thing that worries me is falling off at the first junction I come to :partytime:

It will happen especially in the beginning :bangin: and especially if you're riding off road :bangin: but on the road there are generally less unexpected hazards compared to the trail so the ability to plan for disengaging the cleat from the pedal is much more calm. :bangin: :bangin: :bangin:

When choosing shoes get down to a shop that stocks plenty of variety. There is so much choice.

My advice is go with Shimano SPD system as the cleat is recessed into the sole so you can walk more normally off the bike and there seems to be a greater variety rather than just racings/sports style.

There is a lot to consider, trainer style, casual style or racing style. Soles ranging from very flexible through to very stiff. Lace up/Velcro or combination. Summer, winter or all rounder.

Once you go to cleats, you won't go back ;)

• Like 1

Thanks mate I'll take a look, only thing that worries me is falling off at the first junction I come to  :partytime:

It's unnerving at first, but you get used to them very quickly and you won't go back. The shoes twist to release and after a couple of rides it becomes second nature.

• Like 1

I had one of the old school Cannondale beer can frame mountain bikes that I built about 20 years ago.  Nothing too special.  All Shimano components, but it was a large frame to fit me at 6'3".  About 15 years ago, I changed rims and tires and converted it to a road bike and was riding pretty regularly back then.  Then lost interest and started lifting weights again.  You will love this...I was on a work trip and my wife sold it at the church yard sale for $300.    

• Like 1