When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Newbs expectations nowadays...

docthor

...is pretty high and sometimes just absurd!

I was pretty busy cruising the sales corner of the rep boards the last months and what I read from time to time just let me shake my head.

Not only that some newbies praise their canal street reps like they're the most accurate pieces next to gens that are available.

Some of them even expect that the cheapies that pop up here and there are flawless in every way.

I think it's ridiculous to ask if a good working a7750 rep of sometimes a very rare watch at a price of something between 100 to 200€ is superlumed, if it's serviced, waterproof, without scratches, maybe unworn...you name it...

I mean...yepp...sometimes one is able to buy something like this...just here in this forum a few days ago...but usually a rep in good condition for under 200€ has some flaws or needs some work...at least it mostly has some life in it!!

So to all newbies out there...turn down your expectations on cheap watches and if you feel the urge to ask such questions then do it via pm I'd say!

Lucky me it never happened to one of my sales yet but who knows...

Edited by docthor

Hello there,

I agree with you that some questions or expectations are ...ridiculous in a certain way.
But he, when I look at my questions back then, 8 years ago, I feel I was ridiculous too :fool:

As they say "Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change!".

All the best,
Stephane

I don't have a problem if a newb has no clue and so some questions have to be asked.

Some newbs asked me things that are totally clear for us who are a bit longer in the game and I don't have any problem to answer.

I do it always very detailed, patient and with the most respect to the unknown :)

There was one thread some month ago, think it was on RWI but don't remember, where a long time member sold a nice looking 116520. And this sale got high jacked by an insistent newb who asked if the sec@6mod has been done, why the watch isn't superlumed, if it's waterproof or not and finally offered within the thread something like (don't remember exactly) 130€ all in.

This was a very unusual sales thread and most of the times the newbs aren't so insistent. But...almost always when such question are raised within the sales thread it draws negative attention to the thread and those sales are very hard to complete at the end, mostly with a high loss (according to the starting price) without any reason.

If those questions were asked via pm the seller is able to explain the things without drawing negative attention to his sales thread.

It's good to ask questions about obvious flaws that aren't listed already...this is something to help the seller and the buyer to be on the safe side. All other questions should be asked via pm and if it is something that is of interest for the sales thread I bet every seller is going to explain it there :)

Edited by docthor

Great point! I believe that we'll see these cases in instances where a newb has a personality that accentuates the old adage that "a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still see a few 'vintage' low grade 'Canal Street' replicas here and there and some of the owners are as proud of them as a Dad with a brand new Kid (Momma's baby, Poppa's maybe). Most are made out of flash plated recycled carburetor/hood ornament pot metal that fuzzes over when moisture hits it, and equipped with a $2 quartz movement. I call them 'Chicken Fight' watches because that is the only place I would wear one (just kiddin', I am not a chicken fight guy).  Knew a guy who used to sell them for $8 each...rolex DJ/Prez, seiko, longines, gucci, movado, cartier etc. Submariners and '3 hand' GMT were $12 "Because they got more parts in 'em." 

The equivalent today is a DJ or submariner with a china 21 jewel motor and a ratty dial with a far from spec steel case/bracelet at about $85. Guys wearing them usually claim they are gen-u-wine. Flawless for sure.

docthor:

"There was one thread some months ago, think it was on RWI but don't remember, where a long time member sold a nice looking 116520. And this sale got high jacked by an insistent newb who asked if the sec@6mod has been done..."

I have done a few of these modifications and imho just the mod alone is worth $35 or $40. It is not a quickie fix because working on '21 jewelers' is looking for trouble. 'Twenty ones' are like hornet nests...leave them alone and all is well. Poke around in one and you have Big Trouble.

Stephane:

"Indeed...we try to have everybody follow that simple rule: do not post in sale threads.
You are so right."

+1

"But hey, when I look at my questions back then, 8 years ago, I feel I was ridiculous too." :fool:

Not me. I am no sharper now than I was back then.

What am I going to do with my 'collection' of Out of Date Noob Bait?  It is fuzzing over except for the steel 'twenty ones'. They won't run.   :pimp:

I think a big part of the equation is the exaggerated 1:1 marketing approach not necessarily from the TDs but all over the internet. That said some of the TDs do it as well. If you read some of these descriptions you get the impression that the reps are better then the gens. A more honest approach and a hint here and there to the flaws and inaccuracies might help. The way TC does it e.g. when he points out that the bezel operation of the new YM falls short compared to its gen counterpart. I understand that it is hard for the seller given the fact that his priority is to sell.

Yet if you go to my section you will see a warning about the so called 1:1 products.

Yes there is a better standard the factories are calling 1:1 but there are only limited items, any dealer who claims all his items are 1:1 is simply lying.

Although I do sell 1:1 items I always advise customers that in my opinion the excessive cost does not relate to much greater quality.

Ken

Personally i dont think its got anything to do with Newbs per se.... I think what you are relating to more is a changing attitude in more of the guys coming into the scene regardless of them being newbs or not... its more about the attitude than the questions or methods of these guys...

To me its more about their 'sense of entitlement' and disregard for anyone else... not only do you see it on some forums but also in the real world... even if they took the time to read any newbie guidance and other info that any newbie would do  they would choose to ignore it because "that guidance has nothing to do with them"...they are above that...so to speak..

I think the people you speak of in the OP would be like this in any situation not just on these forums and/or when buying...or the fact that they are newbs...

Of course I wasn't referring to you Ken. But just to give an example:

"The best Rolex Vintage Sports range ever replicated. Surpassing all previous replication from whoever!"

That is the description of one of our TDs for an ok 1680.

Personally i dont think its got anything to do with Newbs per se.... I think what you are relating to more is a changing attitude in more of the guys coming into the scene regardless of them being newbs or not... its more about the attitude than the questions or methods of these guys...

To me its more about their 'sense of entitlement' and disregard for anyone else... not only do you see it on some forums but also in the real world... even if they took the time to read any newbie guidance and other info that any newbie would do  they would choose to ignore it because "that guidance has nothing to do with them"...they are above that...so to speak..

I think the people you speak of in the OP would be like this in any situation not just on these forums and/or when buying...or the fact that they are newbs...

So, yes... This could in fact be a "generational" thing. I have found that the new generation coming to age does have this unsupported sense of entitlement.

Excellent point!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A point that I'm sure our parents and grandparents have made as well. 

I think that Pete's point is correct but not necessarily a generational thing. I guess the disinhibition has more to do with the anonymity and social disconnection that is produced by the internet. Without social control many people have problems controlling their impulses and start acting anti-social. This phenomenon is neither restricted to a younger generation nor is it new. Once people have learned their new "skills" and their new "self-consciousness" they also try it out in the real world.

Sad!

Edited by gasebah

So, yes... This could in fact be a "generational" thing. I have found that the new generation coming to age does have this unsupported sense of entitlement.

Excellent point!

As a member of the new guard I can say that part of it is a generational thing but I'd have to side with Gasebah on the internet keyboard courage being more to do with it. There will always be immature young bucks with an entitlement complex but the internet gives them the ability to let it out with few ramifications.

I also agree that Pete is on the money.

To give an example; I sold a customer a bag, he said it had spots on it and gave me a High Definition pic to show. I then resold that bag to another customer at a great loss.

I then reshipped the first customer a new bag (so I am already down a lot of money) and he said the new bag had the same issue.

Now get this, the 2nd buyer of the first bag could not find any visual issue with the bag and to safe guard myself I had the 2nd reshipped bag photographed.

I told the customer both of the above points and he then used a PP dispute to get his money back.

When you consider there was also another item in the order that he rejected then my loss was around $800 and a Paypal account!

Ken

I also agree that Pete is on the money.

To give an example; I sold a customer a bag, he said it had spots on it and gave me a High Definition pic to show. I then resold that bag to another customer at a great loss.

I then reshipped the first customer a new bag (so I am already down a lot of money) and he said the new bag had the same issue.

Now get this, the 2nd buyer of the first bag could not find any visual issue with the bag and to safe guard myself I had the 2nd reshipped bag photographed.

I told the customer both of the above points and he then used a PP dispute to get his money back.

When you consider there was also another item in the order that he rejected then my loss was around $800 and a Paypal account!

Ken

I really do hate these muppets who ruin it for the rest of us.