When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Picked this up today...

droptopman

Hi guys. Picked up this project 5513 today. Only have a couple of crappy pics until Tuesday when she arrives. Probably going to do a full restoration on it. 7.3 million serial. Cool story. Bought from a guy selling for the original owner. Bought new and wore daily for 30+ years. Clearly needs some TLC but case looks nice and thick. Original MKIII. Bracelet will go to MY for restoration. Case to the bevel master. Then to Matt for a service and new dome.

Not my grail birth year Bart piece but a fun project.

Merry Christmas

55975694aecb62ea78eef7c3123385a9.jpg

7adf23d4f596148cf984ba29365f9000.jpg

Have you considered leaving the case as-is? I'm a sucker for untouched cases.

edit: that is to say, if it is untouched. If it's already been polished then to hell with it, get some new chamfers on it!

Yes I may and I agree. Pics are bad so hard to tell what I bought. It may be in better or worse shape than I think. Hey maybe just a new dome and a little TLC and a great daily beater. Hell maybe some polywatch and my Dremel will fix it up....lol

@alligoat,

Yes the hands were my biggest concern. Even in the crappy pictures they look green but Seller says they are better in real life than the picture but I have my doubts. Nice catch on the dial you are the only one who commented on that.

Thanks guys, thought this was priced fairly for what it is so took a chance. Outside of gilt, I dig the Maxi's. The story got me too and the seller is a newer WIS and really seems to be a good guy.

Not quite like doing a franken build, but a cool project and a chance to restore something close to its original state.

Fun Stuff

Are you doing the restoration yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on what it will need.  If I go full resto, no I do not possess the skills, so it will travel all over to get to the people who do.  If I just do some surface work I can do that.  I enjoy doing what I can and feel pretty confident doing light/finish work.  I am still "building" my workbench/tools and skill set so not ready for anything major yet.  Maybe in the future.    

Is it possible the dial was relumed or replaced during service as the dial lume looks pretty damn white for how old the watch is and how used it looks. Fantastic piece either way, I kind of like the hands. If it was me I would only service it and maybe a crystal polish if everything else is original.

Is it possible the dial was relumed or replaced during service as the dial lume looks pretty damn white for how old the watch is and how used it looks. Fantastic piece either way, I kind of like the hands. If it was me I would only service it and maybe a crystal polish if everything else is original.

I think the dial is good. Daily wearer so never been stored away to darken up. The dials with dark plots are mainly safe queens that spent a lot of time in the dark.