When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

anybody else work with coworkers that aren't watch people?

tyrantblade

Im just wondering as i do, like the majority don't bother with a watch at all, those that do wear some cheap quartz powered watch

And there i am, looking like i have thousands of dollars on my wrist (of course i dont, i would not subject a watch costing thousands to getting banged up at work, so its nice to be able to have a decent/good, reliable, rep watch)

Of course i suppose thats a factory job for you (probably the cheapest factory in my county at that)

Anybody else the only one at your workplace that actually likes (and has) a decent watch? 

• Like 1

I think all of us. The only real watch people I know are on forums. I have a few friends that bought one or two. My dad and grandfather are interested but don't really bother putting too much time into it besides the watches I get for them. So yeah, pretty much just me.

10 minutes ago, mjmj said:

Wow J, do you mean the Noobs and V6s or the ones at the ADs? emoji38.png

Of course the v6,noobs and jf ones. He is amazed by how good they are. Now I will slowly introduce him to the Franken world emoji6.png

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

I love 'em frankens. ;)

What is really crazy, is the number of my colleagues who don't wear watches at all. Probably 75% of the surgeons don't wear a watch. One OB guy who is a real techie has and Apple Watch, another GI guy wears a Rolex TT Thunderbird. Other than those two, none of the surgeons, orthopods or OB guys wear watches. They really don't need watches to begin with, they are never on time, don't have any concept of time, and darn sure can't tell time. Why else would they tell, you, "this case isn't going to take over 30 minutes", when in actuality, they have never done one like it in less than and hour and a half!!

Most everyone else wears a watch, although most all, of the women, RN's, Radiology techs, Respiratory therapists,etc.wear what I call "fashion watches" big, lots of CZ's and always Quartz.

There are no other real "watch people" where I work,except me. Very little curiosity about watches from any of the folks where I work, sad to say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I work for a software company based in Atlanta. I see a lot of Apple watches (yes I have one) and I get a lot of "wow is that a Rolex?" when I wear my 16800 model with Tritium and matte dial. My dad was a total watch guy, which rubbed off on me.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Swiss4Me
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Swiss4Me said:

I work for a software company based in Atlanta. I see a lot of Apple watches (yes I have one) and I get a lot of "wow is that a Rolex?" when I wear my 16800 model with Tritium and matte dial. My dad was a total watch guy, which rubbed off on me.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thats a beautiful watch. Congrats. :)

Very few people comment on my watches.   An amazing number of people don't even wear one at all these days.   I suppose the advent of the cell phone has contributed a lot to that.

Every now and then, one of my 47mm PAM's or my Pumpkin PO will get some minimal notice.

I'm kind of the "go to guy" at my office when someone is interested in buying a watch.  I get a lot of "Is this a good one?" or "Should I buy Swiss?".  I only have one co-worker who wears watches and is in to the watch scene.  My brother in-law is a certified watch maker and he has 1 watch and wears in on and off.  Are we part of a dying hobby?  I thought watches were making a comeback?  Especially the mechanical variety...

"Are we part of a dying hobby?" 

It sure seems that way to me. No one I know outside watch trader/dealer circles seems to care about watches anymore. Most do not wear a watch and the rest have $25 junk or maybe a $100 quartz Seiko/Citizen at best. I have sold more $10 cheapo fashion watches and $20 Disney character watches in the past 5 years than everything else put together in the past 35 years...volume, not $$ value. 

Everyone knows what a rolex is but not many buy one because they cost so much. That's probably one reason why high grade replicas are popular...why spend $8k on a genuine watch when you can have all the glory for $350? After all, you get the same comments on a $350 watch as on a $8k watch from all the Gomers.

If the world economy takes a dump you may see some of the high $$ swiss watch companies bite the dust while replicas of their products are still being made. The irony is pure gold.    :pimp:

Most do not notice or even care.  My receptionist is moderately interested mainly because I usually have watches delivered to work so she knows when one is incoming and usually asks if she can see it.  Funny though, even after seeing several of them, when the EXP II arrived last week, she was like "OMG is that a Rolex?, I said yes they all were/are.  So even though she showed interest she really had no idea what she was looking at.  Now that she knows they are Rolex's she thinks I am a super cool:).  LOL, she is young.  

One of the gals who works in finance asked me to get her a franken DJ so I asked Matt to build her one.  She loves it and wears it every day.  Another gal asked me to get a OTB rep for her husband.  The rest of the staff are clueless.  People who are close to me know I am a WIS and usually avoid saying anything about watches, as they know I will go into a half hour explanation of the reference and history.....they usually start to fall asleep about 2 minutes in. 

In public no one notices.  I might have someone say something about once a year and it is usually another WIS.  

• Like 2

No one cares around me, except one guy with a Panerai and he does not even know anything about watches.

I met one guy once, a true adventurer, North Pole explorer, worked with the guy 2 months, he was a NAMOS guy, for their technical aspect and budget,

But Im very alone at work or among friend about my passion..

None of my colleagues are into watches to my knowledge. I sometimes glance at their wrists to see what they are wearing but I've never seen anything interesting.