When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

To all Bergies customers

KB

Some of you may have noticed that I disappeared a couple of days ago.

Please accept my apologies but as it happens Wednesday morning I was taken to the emergency dept. of my local hospital in a fair bit of pain.

After much poking and prodding (and CT scanning) it was discovered I had a 6mm kidney stone, painful but obviously not life threatening.

So anyway I am back now and ready to take your orders.

Ken

• Like 1

Never had one, thank goodness, but i've taken care of a lot of folks who had them. Most folks describe it as the worst pain they have ever had. Women say it's way worse than labor pains, men have nothing to compare them too, except maybe getting kicked in the nuts!!

Ken, glad you are doing better. Lithotripsy is a great invention, beats surgical intervention by a mile!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks every one, it's the not knowing that was the big worry.

Yes it's painful but we all know a kidney stone is not going to kill you...but bowel cancer is a scary thought that goes through your mind.

Ken

19 minutes ago, Revere said:

Crazy that ultrasound is a legitimate option, I know it's been around for some time but it still sounds like science fiction.

Glad it is something easily remedied!

Revere, this isn't the same as the ultrasound that they use in OB/GYN offices to show you and your wife what the baby looks like. The name for this device is Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy(ESWL). This device sends waves into a very concentrated area to break up the stone. It is a great procedure for stones that are too big to pass on their own. This machine breaks up the stone into small pieces that will pass. We provide the anesthesia for these procedures, and while some patients experience little discomfort, those with little or no pain tolerance say it is pretty painful. From what everyone says it's like being slapped on your flank where the stone lies to being hit by a baseball bat!! The machine fires about 100-120 times so you are getting slapped or baseball batted that may times. Takes about 30 -45 minutes total and really works well.

7 hours ago, panerai153 said:

Revere, this isn't the same as the ultrasound that they use in OB/GYN offices to show you and your wife what the baby looks like. The name for this device is Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy(ESWL). This device sends waves into a very concentrated area to break up the stone. It is a great procedure for stones that are too big to pass on their own. This machine breaks up the stone into small pieces that will pass. We provide the anesthesia for these procedures, and while some patients experience little discomfort, those with little or no pain tolerance say it is pretty painful. From what everyone says it's like being slapped on your flank where the stone lies to being hit by a baseball bat!! The machine fires about 100-120 times so you are getting slapped or baseball batted that may times. Takes about 30 -45 minutes total and really works well.

Sure, I'm familiar with how it works but that's the first I've heard regarding what it feels like. I'd be curious to hear what sort of variables cause people to experience different levels of discomfort. Cool stuff