When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Apple Iphone

deltatahoe

This is because of the FCC filing. They wanted to announce the phone properly instead of having it basically released by the FCC's public documents system. In six months, when the FCC approval is done, the phone will be released.

I believe Steve Jobs wanted to be the one to announce this, instead of having the FCC do it for him. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

it is usually because of in house testing - the FCC would approve a phone for months and CIngular or Verizon wouldn't let it out of their QC testing - same thing with phone updates when the 8700 came out it had SERIUOS problems with battery and phone sound. The update, which was only out on Bharti in india fixed these problems

luckly iwth blackberry you can load other carriers software. it took cingular nearly 8 months to follow with the update.

- Re: airplane mode

in the US its no go, the flight attendents now say - we don't care if you have airplane mode, if it can make calls you can't turn it on - at the end of the electronic devices announcment.

If it remotely looks like a phone they go apeshit and say look if you dn't turn it off, were goign to call the marshals to come arrest you when we land

I tried to tell the lady that i was well aware of FCC regulation and that i was not violating it.

BUT - she correctly pointed out that she doesn't give a [censored] because its a crime not to follow the flight attendants orders - at lesat when it comes to matters like this.

I was soo [censored].

anyway, i also find that if your wearing a business suit, they won't bother with you listening to your ipod on takeoff, but jeans and tshirt don't think about it :) this has been accurate for me 80% of the time. There are always a few hard asses and a few who don't care

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on the battery life - i had a 30 gb ipod video (got the 60) because the battery life was eh - here is apple's specs

Power and battery6

* Built-in rechargeable lithium ion battery

* Playback time (30GB model)

o Music playback time: Up to 14 hours when fully charged

o Photo slideshow with music viewing time: Up to 4 hours when fully charged

o Video playback time: Up to 3.5 hours when fully charged

the 30gb had exactly 1:45 of battery life - you would always miss the end of a 2 hr movie - that is HALF of the claim - cmon, thats some bs

the 60gb got 3hrs of video battery life, or 2 hr movie and probably another 5 hrs of just music play

Apple does some neat things, but battery power is related to the laws of physics and were just not there yet. But very close :)

OHH, and do you know how hard that screen is going to be to keep clean? with fingers and your face on it -Yuch :) its hard on my blackjack but when i used to have my i300 which was just a big screen, it was a pain

Damn, I get well over 3 hours of video on my 80GB. :blink:

Really? I get 2-3 on my 60 (which is starting to feel small, I am on for the next upgrade). Plenty for me, I just use it to watch arrested development at the gym, 2 episodes a workout + a few music videos.

I wish they would release a "wide screen ipod" (not a phone) as well. The technology is obviously there... guess it takes too much power to spin that HD around & around.

Apple does some neat things, but battery power is related to the laws of physics and were just not there yet. But very close :)

Hmmm, not quite Mr Ampere...not just basic physics, technology plays a part too. How do you explain my PSP giving me nearly 4 hours of UMD-driven video and 5:30 off memory stick? And on THAT stunning 4.5-inch screen too. :wub:.

Whilst I love Apple products to bits, Sony's power management and battery technology is streets ahead of Apple. Look at their latest 'network Walkman', compare it with any iPod and watch as the latter hangs it's head in shame and bows in deference.

Oh and talking of the dreaded curse of the fingerprints, although it doesn't have a direct screen interface, my PSP screen has been unprotected for well over a year without any mishaps, sure you get the odd print but no more than your phone display (actually less due to the pouch thing). A quick wipe with a lens cloth, and voila...as new!

Hmmm, not quite Mr Ampere...not just basic physics, technology plays a part too. How do you explain my PSP giving me nearly 4 hours of UMD-driven video and 5:30 off memory stick? And on THAT stunning 4.5-inch screen too. :wub:.

Your PSP isn't "thinner than the motorola Q" - but, 5:30 is still impressive

Sure, i could strap a laptop battery on the thing and play for 10 hrs It also has to do with file size and processing and hard drive

The ipod has a hard drive that has to spin - this new thing will likley be all flash based. Which is better for battery power

Pugs- how big are your movies on the ipod, mine range in the 3-400 meg size - that could be it to, as larger file sizes will consume more battery/second

and just for a short trip down memory lane - My Phone collection

180820-7342.jpg

180820-7343.jpg

180820-7344.jpg

180820-7345.jpg

180820-7346.jpg

180820-7347.jpg

180820-7348.jpg

Pugs- how big are your movies on the ipod, mine range in the 3-400 meg size - that could be it to, as larger file sizes will consume more battery/second

between 450MB and 1GB+, with the majority being closer to a gigabyte.

I use MP4/AVC (h.264, 1200kbps, 624x352 with 128kbps AAC audio) and as far as I remember, h.264 uses more power.

by the way, apparently the iPhone will not be released until June, because some software isn't finished yet.

Quote:

"As I tapped my way into obscure corners of the phone, Mr. Jobs pointed out a couple of spots where only a placeholder graphic was available."

I forgot to mention, do you know why Sony has a VERY hard time selling their PS3's? Do you know why the stores in Japan (and porbably in the US, too) are full of PS3's, but all Wii's are sold out? Because noone wnats to spend 600$ on this game system, its just too expensive compared to competitors!

Those who buy the iPhone will most likely buy it for its MP3 Player feature. SonyEricsson has much cheaper MP3 Phones that are selling VERY well. It might not be as good as the iPhone, but its a lot cheaper. The Xbox360 is also not as good as the PS3, but it sells way better, because its cheaper. You can listen to your MP3's on both phones.

Even though PS3 and iPhone may be WORTH their price, it doesnt mean consumers are willing to pay such a huge premium for those little features you additionally get.

You know what would have been a MAJOR seller for sure? The iPod nano with a bit larger display and simple phone features, like this one for about 249$ or so:

180876-7333.jpg

180876-7334.jpg

They don't want the bottom market... yet. As mentioned in the key note, they are aiming for 1% of the cell phone market. This is a high-end luxury good, not some phone they give you for free for joining the network.

They are following the ipod strategy, start out with a small niche market as the best, new, ultra-hip toy. Perfect the technology, expand, and offer something for the bottom end (a la ipod shuffle). They changed the name of the company for a reason...

I always pay for the best in phone releases,.. purchased the Nokia 9290 Pda years ago for $500,...

then jumped to the Motorola A780, the Top of the line Motorola which still has not been released

to the US market.... but missed the quality of Nokia's intuitive speaker phone

so went back and got the latest communicator,..9300i

This I-phone however I will pass on.. For me usability is a key factor,... as I drive a lot,..

so I need a key-pad that I can dial without looking, so that virtual one won't do the job..

not to mention it will be hell to keep clean.

The a780 had okay voice recognition,..for dialing.... but it was not really user friendly...

and I found their quality, dispite their popularity... much below Nokia,.. that I consider the premier

cell phone manufacturer...

Since this I-phone can't pass over into the professional user market,.. i.e. business ect,.. but

the price point places it clearly in that arena,.. I suspect it will suffer from a mis-fire...

admittedly, i haven't had the time to look into it properly, but figured someone here might know -- is there any chance the iphone will be capable of synching with corporate email? you'd think apple would have realized this is an important market to try to reach...

Sync yes, push no - thats teh whole thing. they aren't going after that market at all - Yet - i'm sure goodlink and a few others will get software for it, but were 1-2 yrs away from true 3g and push email. then, Fughettabout it. Till then blackberry has the market - i have to say Windows Mobile 5, although not as user friendly as BB - i am happy with .

Here is a great interview. in the Phone/ Tech world, there is 1 guy who is like the Super Guru of upcoming stuff and usually leaks the most secret of new things. His name is boy Genious - big in all he major phone forums. this is an interview with the editor of blackberrycool.com Which is a great blackberry blog for keeping up to date on new cool stuff.

its VERY telling of what the real impact is and was of the announcement

http://www.blackberrycool.com/2007/01/10/003180/

pugs, apparently IPODS work better in europe - must be those crazy plugs you got over there :) - :) i hope i'm wrong, i hope it lives up to all the crap jobs said. Having experienced these thing before -

well - lets put it this way, They don't even have the rights to use the term Iphone which cisco sued them for today. So :) with someone that reckles how can you believe all the hype :)

its going to rock even if its what i think will come out.

Ok let me throw this out there...............

I can get the knock off, but not just another cheap shit knock off this was described to me as........wait for it.........Mirror image.

This iphone will come with all the features of the gen and be totally identical to the original item and the best part is it will come with a 6 Month guarantee for any malfunction.

If there is any interest in getting it now instead of 3,6 or even 12 Months (Australia) I will need to get twenty buyers and the phone will be between $300 and $320 delivered.

Ken

If there is any interest in getting it now instead of 3,6 or even 12 Months (Australia) I will need to get twenty buyers and the phone will be between $300 and $320 delivered.

Obviously I'd be interested, apart from the fact I know that a mirror cannot be made for under $800. The iPhone itself, apart from not even being finished yet, has some seriously expensive insides and the only reason it can be sold at its current price point is because of the two-year lock-in with the service provider.

Ken, I'd be very wary of anyone claiming to be able to make this cheap enough to wholesale it to you cheaply enough for you to make a profit at $300. However, I'd love to be wrong. :D

well - lets put it this way, They don't even have the rights to use the term Iphone which cisco sued them for today. So :) with someone that reckles how can you believe all the hype :)

They don't have the rights to use the term iPhone? This is not true, yet. If Cisco wins the court case, then it'll be true. However, I bet you one of two things will happen. Cisco loses the case or it's settled out of court quickly and quietly.

ps. Cisco only holds the trademark in the US.

pps. Here's Apple's stance on the whole thing: Apple spokesman Alan Hely said "We think Cisco's trademark lawsuit is silly," and that Cisco's trademark registration was "tenuous at best". "We are the first company to ever use the iPhone name for a cell phone, and if Cisco wants to challenge us on it we are very confident we will prevail. Yes, I'm a Wikipediant. :bleh:

Riiiiight, so you don't think everything was approved by a whole bunch of Apple in-house lawyers??? ;) Hardly reckless. Assertive is a better adjective.

I bet you'll see a one-line entry in the pink pages, in a few months - this 'suit' will disappear quietly.

apart from the fact I know that a mirror cannot be made for under $800

You may be right but then again I don't suppose an American company could make one of our Chrono's for anything near what we pay either.

Ken

I would shell out in a second if it was "mirror"

But I was under the impression the iphone software was not even complete yet? I don't see how they can copy something where all the lines of code are not written.... you can't copy software that doesn't exist.

They also have 4 or 8 gigs of RAM in them? I just don't see how this can be done...

You may be right but then again I don't suppose an American company could make one of our Chrono's for anything near what we pay either.

Very true, however the iPhone is made, like pretty much every phone, in Asia. :D

The clincher is that I know for a fact the software on the iPhone is not yet finished, and will not be finished before June. The Hardware is currently undergoing compliance testing with the FCC, so we can be sure it's pretty much locked down.

Ok here's the definitive answer...

Nov. 2006,the Apple company cooperate with Honghai,Taiwan for 10000000 (12000000)pcs Iphone produced

And a statement from my suppliers Technical guy...

"The biggest letdown is the fact that the iPhone won’t be available until June 2007 in the U.S. They have so much horsepower and untested software packed into this tiny device that the first version will almost certainly have problems - overheating, bugs, etc. That won’t stop millions from buying it as soon as it is available. And it won’t stop me, either."

Ken

They don't have the rights to use the term iPhone? This is not true, yet. If Cisco wins the court case, then it'll be true. However, I bet you one of two things will happen. Cisco loses the case or it's settled out of court quickly and quietly.

Puggy, why do you think Cisco will lose if it goes to court? My view is that if this case goes to court, Apple is likely to lose, otherwise it will be settled out of court.

Here's a quote from BBC News:

"Cisco entered into negotiations with Apple in good faith after Apple repeatedly asked permission to use Cisco's iPhone name," said Mark Chandler, Cisco senior vice-president and general counsel, in a statement.

If this is true, then Apple has some explaining to do. Why would it repeatedly ask for permission to use something if it doesn't believe it needs permission?