When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep Spotting, On My Superior

woody

So onto my normal workday, taking care of my clients over the phone as usual (no no, it's not what you think, but maybe I should go into that, and I can make that $25,000 a month income too, like our dealers.....haha) I went over to my superior's desk, to ask him something, and spotted him wearing a Tag Heuer Link. I then went back to my desk, and typed back, "is that a nice Tag Heuer Link that I saw?" and we went on from there, he went on and have commented that he got it a few months ago, I asked him where he got it (if it is from the local dealers down here) and he said he does not know, as it was a gift. Then my superior managed to come over, and said "what do you think?" and took the Link off his wrist for me to look. Upon first look, I can see something was off, the dial, hands, and date window. Then I saw the real dead giveaway, the holes on the side of the bracelet. I commented on, "wow, what does your wife do, to buy you a gift like that? My wife almost bought me a watch, but didn't", I saw some hesitance in his expressions. Then after a short time, he said to me, "It's a knockoff.", and I replied, "I know, but I did not want to say anything". He then asks, "How do you know?" I then proceeded to point out all the flaws, and told him that I have a gen Tag Heuer S-EL, the predecessor of the Link. He told me his wife got it in the Philippines for $15. I went on to tell him good deal, and exchanged some more pleasantries. I told my boss, I would bring in my gen Tag Heuer in some time so he can inspect further. All the while I was wearing a Seamaster, that did not get exposed outside my wrist. I think no matter what, we should never openly point out another person's watch as fake, unless the guy in question is a douche bag of course. But I think this will be a good bonding situation for me and my boss. Thought I'd share my story for the board to hear. If it was too boring, I apologize for wasting you guys' time.....have a good Friday everyone!!

Edited by Woody

I'm not at all surprised that he would wear a fake, good or bad. Most people are not knowledgable about watches and would never spend real money on them. The idea of a fun, cheap novelty though is too hard to resist, and in this case was a gift.

I think you handled it well. I agree, I would never call someone on a fake unless they were trying to sell it as a gen or something like that. If someone is so freaking insecure that they have to lie to others about a fake watch then just let them be the little man that he is and perhpas shed some pity on him. Your boss was cool enough to be open with you which is awesome, and the fact that you did not go bragging about your much better quality watch is also cool. I am sure this is a little bonding type of thing you can use to get closer to your boss if you like.

Hell, all 3 of my bosses demanded to know where I got those watches, and were they paying me too much, and now they both have a couple of reps from Andrew and Josh. Actually there is only one guy in the office that's not into it, so we can open enjoy our hobby, and we have all our watches delivered to the office so we all get to geek out when a new watch arrives. You should have seen the faces when I got my Ultimate PO yesterday.

Nice story.. that had to be a little uncomfortable for him to find out his fake is an easy mark for some. Imagine if he said it was real and you busted him? Oh the humanity! I have yet to meet another person in the flesh that would spend the money I do on a rep let alone a gen. Maybe it's just typical americans that recoil when they hear you bought a watch for $2-3k while they're used paying $50 for a Calvin Klein or Diesel. I guess people have different priorities. What's with this superior talk? I'm a manager and I'd never want anyone to call me a superior! Think of him as a coworker.. only YOU are the boss of YOU.

Nice story man!!You can tell your boss to pay us a visit in the forum so we can help the poor man to find a nice "bling bling" tag rep. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

well, I will be waiting for Angus' Chronomat Evolution that I will be getting. That will be really bling to wear around the office. I think I just may take that and strap on the leather right away, otherwise my "coworker" will be seeking me out.

Excellent story and handled very well. You are a class act all the way.

Usil

Thanks Usil.

Good story, you should have told him that you were a rep expert!

Nice Job

I would, but I really don't know him too well yet. Just don't know how to break it to a guy and say, "I am a rep enthusiast/expert." My other coworker who knows that I am a big watch nut said that he would take me shopping if he ever gets a expensive watch. He has since left the company. I think my current sup/coworker may think that I know a thing or two about watches, cause he has now seen me with a few different watches.

Nice story.. that had to be a little uncomfortable for him to find out his fake is an easy mark for some. Imagine if he said it was real and you busted him? Oh the humanity! I have yet to meet another person in the flesh that would spend the money I do on a rep let alone a gen. Maybe it's just typical americans that recoil when they hear you bought a watch for $2-3k while they're used paying $50 for a Calvin Klein or Diesel. I guess people have different priorities. What's with this superior talk? I'm a manager and I'd never want anyone to call me a superior! Think of him as a coworker.. only YOU are the boss of YOU.

When I saw that it was a pretty bad rep, it was really uncomfortable. I think perhaps deep down inside he knew I was somewhat into watches, so he decided to come clean, especially after I asked, "what does your wife do?" maybe he doesn't want me to think that he's rich and rob him or something.... :lol: I would never bust him, cause he is directly above me, got to look out for my job. In the office, I would never refer to him as my superior, maybe I was using too nice of an analogy. But you are right, I AM THE BOSS OF ME, and that starts today!!

Woody... Just wait till you show him your 1680!

^_^

I thought about wearing the 1680 today Randy. But I felt somewhat less complete because it has not gone through all that mods yet, you know those parts I got from you are, they all dying to go be put in!! :1a: But that time will come too, I keep everything very low key. But he somehow always take a peek of what I wear these days...

Woody,

Be sure to tell us the stories when you show him your other watches.

Usil

Well, during a meeting that I had with him and another manager for my yearly review, he saw my Fiddy, and had complemented saying "I always like those big watches, I think I am going to get me one of those some time", and the day before I saw his Tag, I was wearing my modded 005 with a Greg Stevens, and he noticed it. He pointed at my wrist, and after I looked at my wrist, and looked back at him, he gave me a big thumbs up. Although I think he may not know what a Pam is though. I still have to show him my Tag next week. So we'll see how that goes.

Thanks for everyone who had replied as always, and have a good weekend......it's so dreary down here as it's been raining all day.....crappy!!

great job about not saying its a fake right away, then he might get [censored] and act like donald trump on you and tell you you are fired

lol

but thats cool that he said its a knock off, you should show him the good replicas and maybe you will get a raise ;)

I agree that you should not call out someone's rep in public, but I did it once while drunk haha. I was at a party and I whispered to my friend "that guy is wearing a fake Rolex." But I was drunk and said it much louded than I thought, and Im pretty sure he overheard. O well, at least I didnt stand on a chair and announce it to everyone :lol:

Hello all watchmates,

Just wanted to provide some additional updates of the rep updates that has been happening with my "coworker". Today, he came by and say good morning to me, and asked "where is your tag?", I said, "It's at home, but I'll bring it to the office tomorrow." He said, "good, bring it so I can see it". In the meantime, I told him, that I did not wear the Tag, but am wearing another watch. He asked to see my wrist. I showed him my The Zigmeisterfied IWC GST SS, and he said "Nice!" So, tomorrow, I will be bringing the Tag for him to see. Probably update the thread again tomorrow. Just thought I would keep those who are interested with the current updates.....

Have a good night.

Great story, and i applaud your tact in the situation. I think along the same lines - don't call it out unless the guy is a douchnozzle.

On a recent trip to boston i was sitting in a bar at the airport and the bartender was talking to a guy about his Breitling. The guy took it off and the bartender looked at it for a few seconds, then handed it back without saying anything. I could see the cheapness of the bracelet from where I was sitting - all the while wearing my Breitling GT from eddie - and knew that it was a bad rep.

The bartender later noticed my GT and nodded with a kind of knowing glance as if he knew that the guy had a fake and mine was real!

I got a kick out of that and never uttered a word to the bartender or the other guy.