When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine Planet Ocean

RobbieG

I thought I would post some detailed pics of the gen PO for those looking for some good comparison references. I am fortunate in that I have the means for and generally buy two gens each year in addition to all the reps. Oddly enough, my gen purchases almost always are watches that there are no good reps of. This is of course not the case with the Planet Ocean, although I was interested in the 42MM and the final rep of this watch ended up being the 45MM. Anyway, what I was after was an alternative to my genuine Submariner to fill the slot in the "black-bezel-dive-watch" category. Where I live, it seems like every man aged 25 and older wears a Sub - and every man 50 and older wears a President. Anyway, I bought this watch with the intention of retiring the old Sub. I have to tell you that as an astute collector, to me this watch far exceeeds the fit, finish, and overall quality appearance of the Sub. It feel so good NOT to wear the Sub anymore as absurd as that sounds. This watch really is that nice. What is especially great is the really thick AR both inside and outside the crystal. It really gives the watch an extra rich appearance as it makes the dial look so black it is almost purple. This contrasts the brushed stainless so to give the watch and absolutely stunning appearance on the wrist - I dare say much "richer" looking than the Rolex. There are NO photos including these that come close to doing this watch justice. The AR must be experienced in person. I also happen to have a friend who is a wholesaler and I bought the watch at dead cost for an even 2K. I couldn't resist. I actually intend to buy the 45MM rep when they have the updated version of the rubber strap repped to compliment this gen and live out my Bond fantasies. Shaken, not stirred...Anyway, I digress. I can't say enough about the quality of this piece. Highly recommended.

On Steel:

182879-6771.jpg

182879-6772.jpg

182879-6773.jpg

182879-6774.jpg

182879-6775.jpg

182879-6776.jpg

182879-6777.jpg

182879-6778.jpg

182879-6779.jpg

182879-6780.jpg

182879-6781.jpg

182879-6782.jpg

182879-6783.jpg

182879-6784.jpg

182879-6785.jpg

182879-6786.jpg

182879-6787.jpg

182879-6788.jpg

On Rubber:

POrubber1b.jpg

POrubber2.jpg

PO1-1.jpg

Superb. You're making me want to dig out my pics of my bro's gen 45mm Orange PO. :D

I had a gen 45mm Black PO on my wrist yesterday in anticipation of my rep that's arriving this week, and I was shocked that the AR didn't seem as visible as on my Bro's orange. It may have just been the lighting though. Still, a stunner, I hope you keep it for a long time and enjoy it as it should be enjoyed.

Great pictures,,,,this is such a nice watch. I've had two 45mm PO reps and just didn't do it for me. The reps are decent quality but at least the two I had, had some thing going on that bugged me. I would really like to do the gen on this someday....since I just got a high priced gen, may be a while but worth the wait.

Superb. You're making me want to dig out my pics of my bro's gen 45mm Orange PO. :D

I had a gen 45mm Black PO on my wrist yesterday in anticipation of my rep that's arriving this week, and I was shocked that the AR didn't seem as visible as on my Bro's orange. It may have just been the lighting though. Still, a stunner, I hope you keep it for a long time and enjoy it as it should be enjoyed.

Thanks Pug. Dig em' out and post em' if you got em'... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

It is a very beautiful watch RobbieG.

Just curious how much would that cost? What is the problem for buying real watches on the web as suppose to AD? Price is definitelly around 30% cheaper

I got it through a distributor friend of mine for 2K. If you don't buy it from an AD you have no warranty via the manufacturer - although the likelyhood that anything will go wrong is slim and if it did you could surely fix it for much less than what you would have paid at full retail. My best advice if you don't have any friends in the biz is to shop the best price and then beat up your AD to get as close as he can to it...

I was contemplating getting this watch in the 4th gen rep version. i was surprised to see your pics of the bracelet not have the word "professional" on it as this is one of the updates on the Ultimate rep hat has been touted as an improvement.

Am I to understand then that the gen 42mm po do not have 'professional" on the clasp??

If so, might make my decision to get the rep easier. I would also get one of Josh's leather Omega straps with this watch to change the look.

Great pics!!

I have a 42mm PO rep from PT and have noticed that my bezel has square cut ridges forming the 'grip' to the edge, the same as shown in RobbieG's photos, but I notice that the pic from Pugwash shows a more fluted edge to the bezel (similar to a submariner). I have also seen the latest 45mm reps with the 'fluted' edge.

Are there two types of bezel on the gens?

I have a 42mm PO rep from PT and have noticed that my bezel has square cut ridges forming the 'grip' to the edge, the same as shown in RobbieG's photos, but I notice that the pic from Pugwash shows a more fluted edge to the bezel (similar to a submariner). I have also seen the latest 45mm reps with the 'fluted' edge.

Are there two types of bezel on the gens?

45 and 42 version differ in that aspect -- I only noticed it myself when I got the 45 (used to think it will be just like 42, but turned out different)

I was contemplating getting this watch in the 4th gen rep version. i was surprised to see your pics of the bracelet not have the word "professional" on it as this is one of the updates on the Ultimate rep hat has been touted as an improvement.

Am I to understand then that the gen 42mm po do not have 'professional" on the clasp??

If so, might make my decision to get the rep easier. I would also get one of Josh's leather Omega straps with this watch to change the look.

Great pics!!

The so-called Ultimate PO rep is the latest edition and is of the 45MM PO. The 42MM does not have the word Professional on the clasp as you can see from the pics of my gen. At this time a rep of the 42MM with the improved pearl like the ultimate does not exist. I would recommend getting the 45MM Ultimate version if you are going to get a PO rep right now as this is the only version that is truly accurate. That is a 99% rep for sure. Only the AR and the feet on the logo are slightly different than the gen.

45 and 42 version differ in that aspect -- I only noticed it myself when I got the 45 (used to think it will be just like 42, but turned out different)

Yes, the 42MM and 45MM gens are different in this respect. The "Ultimate" 45MM rep watch is not accurate in that respect but it would be pretty touch to notice unless you were really looking for it...

The so-called Ultimate PO rep is the latest edition and is of the 45MM PO. The 42MM does not have the word Professional on the clasp as you can see from the pics of my gen. At this time a rep of the 42MM with the improved pearl like the ultimate does not exist. I would recommend getting the 45MM Ultimate version if you are going to get a PO rep right now as this is the only version that is truly accurate. That is a 99% rep for sure. Only the AR and the feet on the logo are slightly different than the gen.

Yes but the 45 is too damn big! Plus, i wanted the Omega leather straps on the 42 from Josh. I heard other than the pearl, most of the shortcomings of the 4th gen 42 PO is in the bracelet. Your thoughts?

Yes but the 45 is too damn big! Plus, i wanted the Omega leather straps on the 42 from Josh. I heard other than the pearl, most of the shortcomings of the 4th gen 42 PO is in the bracelet. Your thoughts?

Well, for me the gap between the end link and case on the rep bracelet is not a deal breaker. What is more troublesome is the non-recessed pearl and the tendency for crooked indices in the 4th gen reps - and of course the big one which is the AR. Even when reps have good AR it is just for color. It doesn't "anti-reflect" anything. The CN guys just color the crystal with purple so it looks OK in ceratin light - but it still reflects. The real magic of AR in the gen world is how it makes the crystal disappear and makes the dials look beyond black. I have never seen a rep that accurately reproduces this - even Davidens PAM crystals which have the best "AR" around in terms of color don't. Honestly though, none of this contributes to why I bought the gen. I just couldn't resist at the price I paid. Such a fine watch for that money considering what I have paid for lesser gens in terms of quality. I am sure from the many reviews tha I have read such as Bytor's that the PO reps as a whole are amazing. I just had the opportunity to get the gen at a reasonable price and I jumped. My watch purchases are always very emotional but not impulsive. I also really felt that this watch could fill the role if I decided to retire (which I did) my gen Rolex Submariner. All in all though I will stick to what I have said. At this point I would only buy the 45MM Ultimate version as I feel that this is the only "accurate" version for my money. In fact I am going to get the 45MM rep and put it on a gen rubber strap (unless they rep a good one of these too) to compliment my gen 42MM and finally fulfill all of my James Bond fantasies...

• 2 weeks later...

To me, the biggest problem with the rep 42MM is the pearl. The 45MM is much better in that respect and the difference is quite obvious. I have agree with you that depending on your size the 45MM is almost "cartoon-ish". Funny, but I have a few PAM's and the size there doesn't bother me as I feel that they are sort of supposed to be big as it is part of the appeal of the watch. I feel that today many watchmakers are simply releasing huge watches because they are in without much regard to design. Breitling comes to mind with respect to the larger Navitimer versions such as the GMT. For my money, the Navitimer is a 41MM watch and doesn't want to be larger. Just my opinion.

i totally agree the PO is a better watch all around than a rolex sub. i had both gens and had to sell the rolex due to no wrist time. not less wrist time....NO wrist time! the AR, the bracelet construction, the weight, the hands, the lume, the HE valve, the polished/brushed case, every aspect makes the gen sub "cheap" in comparison! the one thing i will say the rolex has a better resale. so what does that mean? buy a used gen PO for $1700 and you will get no better bang for your buck anywhere!

193004-4468.jpg

193004-4469.jpg

• 1 year later...

Yeah, but I think the Submariner is just so classic in its own right. But the PO is more interesting. For me, the way the unique hands and the contrasting brushed and polished surfaces interacting with the depth of the AR makes for a much more interesting watch. I also think it great with almost any shoes you put on it, where a modern Sub kind of just has to be on a bracelet. A Nato is OK, but better suited for a vintage watch that is banged up IMO...