When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why People Buy Fakes

geekybiker

Googling around and found this site

http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/counterfeit.shtml

With some amusing quotes

"Why do people buy fakes and what does it say about them?

Through years of studing fakes and talking with people about them, we have never heard any good justification for buying or wearing them... only excuses why some people believe they deserve the perception of owning 'luxury' products without having to go to the effort and expense to buy the real things.

Curiously, people who buy fakes seem to have a contradicting thought process. They act like it is 'only a name' when they choose a counterfeit product with a premium brand name on it. Counterfeit buyers seem to be ignorant of or ignore the real merits that make the genuine item far more valuable than the fakes--they just consider one watch to be about the same as any other.

But they obviously consider the luxury name brand important enough that they are willing to accept items of highly dubious quality and origin just to get that brand name on them. So we have yet to find how to interpret people's willingness to pay for counterfeit versions of 'the name'--especially when they have contempt for or ignorance of why the name is valuable--as anything other than wanting to cheaply impress themself and others.

Here's what buying and wearing fake/counterfeit watches really says about the wearer:

1. Poor Grasp of Value - Replicas are made to sell by looking like something far more valuable than they are. They are seldom made for quality, carry no warranty, are made from cheap parts and are usually not worth repairing. They are basically overpriced disposable products, so are a poor value for your money.

2. Lack of Integrity - Those that choose cheap replicas to try to impress others that they have a real luxury watch are using falsehoods to represent themselves. So that makes people wonder what else about how you represent yourself is false.

3. Weak Ethics - Choosing replica watches shows the world that you are willing to support unethical and illegal businesses--not giving a care about the ethics and legalities involved if they get in the way of getting something that you want cheaply.

4. Gullible - Especially where someone unknowingly buys a fake, they show themselves to be easily deceived and someone that throws caution to the winds trying to get a super deal on an expensive item.

5. Isolated - Certainly there are no clubs for owners of fakes. No comraderie among fellow owners. No sharing of tips, tricks and performance issues. No assistance with operation, warranty or repair issues. Fake buyers are on their own with nobody to care, nobody to help and nobody to compliment or encourage them--except for the occasional person you might encounter that doesn't know enough about watches to realize you are trying to 'impress' them with a cheap counterfeit.

"

Lol. Probably been here before Im sure...

With some amusing quotes

Through years of studing fakes and talking with people about them, we have never heard any good justification for buying or wearing them... only excuses why some people believe they deserve the perception of owning 'luxury' products without having to go to the effort and expense to buy the real things.

Curiously, people who buy fakes seem to have a contradicting thought process. They act like it is 'only a name' when they choose a counterfeit product with a premium brand name on it. Counterfeit buyers seem to be ignorant of or ignore the real merits that make the genuine item far more valuable than the fakes--they just consider one watch to be about the same as any other.

But they obviously consider the luxury name brand important enough that they are willing to accept items of highly dubious quality and origin just to get that brand name on them. So we have yet to find how to interpret people's willingness to pay for counterfeit versions of 'the name'--especially when they have contempt for or ignorance of why the name is valuable--as anything other than wanting to cheaply impress themself and others.

Here's what buying and wearing fake/counterfeit watches really says about the wearer:

1. Poor Grasp of Value - Replicas are made to sell by looking like something far more valuable than they are. They are seldom made for quality, carry no warranty, are made from cheap parts and are usually not worth repairing. They are basically overpriced disposable products, so are a poor value for your money.

2. Lack of Integrity - Those that choose cheap replicas to try to impress others that they have a real luxury watch are using falsehoods to represent themselves. So that makes people wonder what else about how you represent yourself is false.

3. Weak Ethics - Choosing replica watches shows the world that you are willing to support unethical and illegal businesses--not giving a care about the ethics and legalities involved if they get in the way of getting something that you want cheaply.

4. Gullible - Especially where someone unknowingly buys a fake, they show themselves to be easily deceived and someone that throws caution to the winds trying to get a super deal on an expensive item.

5. Isolated - Certainly there are no clubs for owners of fakes. No comraderie among fellow owners. No sharing of tips, tricks and performance issues. No assistance with operation, warranty or repair issues. Fake buyers are on their own with nobody to care, nobody to help and nobody to compliment or encourage them--except for the occasional person you might encounter that doesn't know enough about watches to realize you are trying to 'impress' them with a cheap counterfeit.

"

The last point (that is, yours) is the most true -- these claims have been posted and discussed here many times before. Decide for yourself whether any of them are or are not valid.

With some amusing quotes

"

Old news....Boring dribble.....Written by a guy who wears latex buttplug underwear....... :blowup::blowup::blowup:

Although this has been discussed before, i think that the point I quoted above is "at least" the main reason for the existence of the whole fake products industry, no matter if it's about watches or bags or wallets or clothing.

And personally i must admit that i'd prefer to have means to buy 50 real r0lexes than 50 rep r0lexes...

That would mean that i'd be rich which is a good thing usually :D

This is my favorite one...

Only if the writer knew...

Ha, the people I've met - The camaraderie that exist here on this board - All that I've learned from the wealth of knowledge here - And even an exchange or two over time with a Dealer, because of a faulty piece (warranty)...

Idiot...

TT

I bought a Rolex Submariner LV for the simple reason that I like it and cannot afford the original. I don't wear it to show off to people, it usually stays under my cuff while I'm at work and even if I wear a short sleeve shirt, my friends aren't really into watches they would notice anyway. In fact the only person I've really shown it to is my boss and even then I said 'check out this great replica'. What I like most about it is, I paid £130 and it keeps more accurate time than my genuine Aquaracer, which my friends haven't paid any attention to either! Sometimes I think it's a bit flash buying a copy Rolex, but then I think who cares. The quality is great and if anyone questions it, I'll just tell them where I got it and bore them with the details ;)

I think the great thing about reps is the fun we find in scrutnizing the smallest details. Trying to find the "best" or "perfect" replication of a fine luxury watch is also an allure. Heck, I own several gens. But, there is no fun in that. The bezel pearl on my gen Omega SMP is as good as it's going to get. As far as quality, like I've written before, I have reps that easily rival the time keeping accuracy of my most expensive gen (a Rolex). So, in the end, I find the rep side to be more entertaining. Also, I have learned so much from you guys about watches.

What should I do if I encounter a fake?

:huh:

"Seek immediate medical attention. Be sure to wash eyes in a solution of saline and petroleum distillates. Scrub all available genitalia--yours or not--with a wire grill-brush and benzene. Immediately report the "sighting" to your group sponsor and/or local support organization. Forty Hail-Marys, and ten Lord's prayers."

Jesus H. Christ.

Come on guys. We all wear fakes because they get us laid. No really, I wear reps because I like toys. Shiny toys with moving parts. That is why we like cars, bikes and electronics. It all starts with model trains, matchbox cars, erector sets, and bicycles. We just move on to more expensive and shinyer things.

So do we have a grasp of value? or do we just want to be fashionable? look richer than we are? Do we care more about the brand name than about quality?

I think most replica buyers on RWG have a grasp of value, we love quality and buy replicas because the price on the genuines is rediculus :1a: Paying more than 1000 dollars for a watch that has no more complicated function than being a chronograph or showing the date is probably pretty lame B) ......unless the the genuine is a very collectable watch that can be easily resold for the same or more, in this case it makes more sense to buy the genuine :) than to get a replica provided one has the money to buy the real deal.... I also think that buying a replica of a complicated perpetual calendar or a repeater does not make much sense since the functions are faux...

I am worried that we may care more about the brand name than about quality of the replicas we buy....if this is a good or bad tendency is something that we probably should ponder a littel :g: I have to admit that I somtimes wonder if I should have used my $5000 or so on one genuine watch rather than buying lots of replicas instead <_< but truth is that the high end luxury watches I really want cost more like $10.000 and up........and I like to have lots of watches.....so as long as I have to get along on a Professors salary and still pay my other bills and keep my girls clothed I'll simply have to stick with the replica watches no matter what the reason may be....

Regards

Gunnar :)

With some amusing quotes

"

This illustrates the power of branding and marketing. The following quotation shows how deeply the marketing behind luxury goods has penetrated the minds of some people.

"Through years of studing fakes and talking with people about them, we have never heard any good justification for buying or wearing them... only excuses why some people believe they deserve the perception of owning 'luxury' products without having to go to the effort and expense to buy the real things."

I do not understand how people can or can not be "entitled" to buy anything. what a bunch of knee jerk simpleminded thinking. This kind of thought process creates an assumption that luxury consumption must somehow be earned. Following this form of logic - any genuine item purchased with anything but earned funds is undeserved - lottery win, nope can not use that money, inherit money from your parents estate, no way you deserve to buy a new watch because you did not earn the money yourself.

IN TRUTH SUPPORTED WITH FACT - Consumption is one of the few democratic areas in a person's life. Consumption is simply and complexly the exchange of value for goods or services. It has no meaning and confers privilege on none. If the case were not so, providers of luxury goods have a litmus test other than ability to pay to decide who can purchase their product. Perhaps. Imagine going into a Rolex dealer with cash to buy and being turned away because you were a taxi cab driver. It just would not happen.

Rant Over.

Cheers