When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

watch forums

granater123

(this forum)  "...is the best one for people and knowledge."

I agree.

(for me) The problem seems to be there is hardly anything new being posted on the forum, most of the traffic is probably made up of people looking at past articles or posting pictures. 

Not many technical or 'how to' articles are being posted now.  Maybe much of this is caused by the arrival of the 'perfect replica' because now buyers can just order what they want and not have to source parts or ask questions about how to put a watch together.  This pertains mostly to modern watches because vintage (Rolex) ready-to-wear replicas are not much better now than they were 15 or 20 years ago (except maybe for dial quality), and many may end up being projects. 

Imho.

One big problem with the current crop of 'perfect replicas' (Rolex, Omega, AP etc.) is there are not many movement parts available, and very few people willing to work on them. 

My guess is there may be quite a few 'perfect replicas' being repaired with a Swiss ETA , Asian etaclone, Miyota etc. sooner or later so the forum may get busier.

Imho again.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As more & more former of the 'Mechanical watches are for old white men!' youngsters began to amass huge mechanical gen collections & the nouveau riche began to convert their fiat investments into tangible assets like high end watches, the big 3 brands quickly became unrealistically pricey &/or unobtainium. Because of this, many of the gen forums have become literal ghost towns. At the same time, for a variety of reasons, there has been a reshuffling of traffic to rep forums, which left sites like ours in the same boat as the empty gen forums.

From what I have seen, RWI is probably the most traffic'd rep forum today. At least that is where I 1st discovered the incredible current crop of modern 116xxx Daytonas with cloned 413x movements (see my review/frankening threads for details).
Vintagerolexforum still seems to be fairly active, but mostly with regulars since few others can still afford the price of (vintage Rolex) admission.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This has always been my "Home/Favorite" forum, and the lack of traffic is depressing. 

Watch Forums have the same problem as Google Search these days, they all kinda suck when 'searching' for good information like RWG had circa 2008-2012.  There is so much noise and DILUTION out there.  Unfortunately, many of THIS forum's old technical posts have broken links now too.

I never understood the draw to Reddit for watch info and now Replica stuff and sales.  It seems like such a clumsy interface... 

WUS is nothing but ego's and power hungry moderators.  However, this is must for reselling GEN's.

TRF is useless, if you ask a serious technical question or are into Modding it is not the place for me/you...  TRF is like an Apple Fan Boy forum, but for Rolex.  Don't speak ill of the Crown! 

RWI is great for the new releases, and comparisons.

The other RWG is hopping again.

VRF always had the worst Forum Software possible, and their Tapatalk host always seems to have login issues. 

Timezone, similary, horrible Forum Software, never held my attention.

I wish RWG was one stop shopping like it used to be...

• Like 3

In addition to this forum ( my favorite of course!!!!) I belong to Timezone.com, Rolexforums.com, vintagerolexforum.com Omegaforums.net and watcuseek.com.

As I get most of my answers here I now rarely post on those other forums.  This forum is like a second home to me as most members I have acquainted here and many others that also post are top notch as they know what they are talking about and  appear to have a very cultured background extending beyond just horology!!  With the exception of a handful of members on other forums,  I find that  most of the members on those  forums  are not as savvy nor as open minded as most of the members here.    

This forum for me has been a quality education as well !!!  

My worst experience was on watchuseek.com and I have not posted  there  in over 12 years.  It may have got better over time but I still call this place my watch home!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Timelord said:

My worst experience was on watchuseek.com and I have not posted  there  in over 12 years.  It may have got better over time but I still call this place my watch home!! 

It’s an odd place. I had a post locked and was admonished for posting a link to a post on another (reputable) watch forum. As if it was going to steal views and ad revenue. 

WUS is a must if you want to buy/sell GEN watches without the commissions of eBay/Chrono24 and don’t want to deal with the Reddit $h!+ show. 

On 8/28/2023 at 5:09 PM, Ronin said:

It’s an odd place. I had a post locked and was admonished for posting a link to a post on another (reputable) watch forum.

Don't get me started as your experience is on a similar path to mine!   I wasn't posting any links or anything of that kind.  It was just the attitude and childish abusive comments that were posted in response to my post.  I don't need to say more!!!  Who knows, it may have improved with time,  but I am not game enough to risk going back for round 2!!

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, we are working on getting this place back up and running actively. But we can’t do it without you all. If there are any suggestions, we (the admin and staff team) are all ears and just a PM away. Feel free to PM me with any ideas or suggestions and we will look into it.
We all want this great place to get back to what it used to be. 

RWG's original draw was the sheer amount of engineering/watchsmithing knowledge & talent that tended to coalesce here. There were numerous technical breakthroughs that could only have occurred here due to the braintrust that was literally drawn to RWG in the early 2000s.

Unfortunately, after management made the decision to initiate games & then seemed to turn a blind eye to new members (including some mods) who were systematically post-padding to get their post counts up, many of the original crew felt disenfranchised & left. Not sure what you do about that, but you cannot fix a problem until/unless you 1st acknowledge it.