When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wo-mart's "so Called" Perfect Subs

luckyman

i think its just as good as any at the price range , the only much better ones r watchmasters and mbw ones they coast over double that imho for the money and u r not overly picky they r not so bad

hope this helps

joe

flaws include shallow rehaut, crystal seal too thick and noticeable, crown too big, slightly oversized CGs (shave the inside and it'll be very very close to the gen's), bezel teeth slightly angled down, bezel pearl noticeably not like gen's (but neither is any other rep). Other than these, it's the best sub rep for the money, esp. it has a ETA.

-bm

Im no expert but for a $149 I would not expect much. Something Ive noticed with all these cheaper subs is the is the poor print quality on the dial and date wheel.

The dial print on my So-Called LV is excellent. I think it's one of the strongest points of the watch myself. As others have mentioned, there simply isn't a 'perfect' Sub out there. This one is no different. The rehaut is too shallow, the crown is a bit too big (but is one of the nicest crowns I've seen on a rep functionally), date mag is a bit weak (not quite 2.5x) and the case dimensions are slightly smaller than a gen (lugs are a tad thinner than gen, and the case thickness, minus the case back, is slightly thinner than a gen).

The good points of this particular piece are case finish/construction, band construction, dial print and the ETA movement. The crown guards are probably one of the best out-of-the-box you'll find. Mine runs ~+3 a day and has a solid 40+ power reserve. It was also evident that the seals had been oiled on mine as well. Whether that means there was any service done to the movement, I don't know.

Overall, I think it's the best sub-$150 dollar sub out there.

Agree :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Best bang for the buck :victory:

HOWEVER, do not attemp to remove the bezel ring. These subs have a newer style bezel ring retension system. They do not "pop" off like previous models. Prying on the bezel ring will result in a bent ring and lots of woes...in other words, be happy with the crown guards :whistling:

The dial print on my So-Called LV is excellent. I think it's one of the strongest points of the watch myself. As others have mentioned, there simply isn't a 'perfect' Sub out there. This one is no different. The rehaut is too shallow, the crown is a bit too big (but is one of the nicest crowns I've seen on a rep functionally), date mag is a bit weak (not quite 2.5x) and the case dimensions are slightly smaller than a gen (lugs are a tad thinner than gen, and the case thickness, minus the case back, is slightly thinner than a gen).

The good points of this particular piece are case finish/construction, band construction, dial print and the ETA movement. The crown guards are probably one of the best out-of-the-box you'll find. Mine runs ~+3 a day and has a solid 40+ power reserve. It was also evident that the seals had been oiled on mine as well. Whether that means there was any service done to the movement, I don't know.

Overall, I think it's the best sub-$150 dollar sub out there.

Fine point.. IMO the date mag is probably ok, it is likely the rehaut and the chrystal that cause the distortion on the datewheel. I only mention b/c if that is true, the condition is not correctable with the case provided. Still it is a great watch for the money if the movement is truly an ETA. If not, you might also want to check out the noobmariner from TTK and others.

Paul's $149 sub and sub LV are two of the best deals out there. Yes, the dial print is good, date mag is fine, don't try to remove the bezel or you'll be sorry. I did manage to trim the inside cj edges on my Noobmariner (it's the same case and dial w/ an asian 21j movt) w/o removing the case tube or the bezel. Took the dial and movt. out, used masking tape and went slowly w/ a file in one direction and wet/dry sand paper and polish. The crown is too big, but Paul's has a real ETA 25j 2836-2 and that's what sets it apart from the Noobmariner and the Beginmariner. But they're all great watches at great prices. Some people just don't realize how lucky we are!

correct hand-stack Explorer II is the best rolex rep out there. perfect bezel, excellent crystal height as is, better if bezel removed and reinstalled flush with case, perfect date mag, perfect date wheel position (on mine at least, every day is centered top to bottom, left to right correctly), only slightly off CGs, a little sanding on the side will make it close to perfect, unimaginably well modified 2836-2 movement that works like the gen, dial is sufficiently sharp and accurate, bracelet very very nice (nicer than noobmariner's, josh's sub), crown centered top to bottom on case. Read my post "RBJ modified Explorer II, Perfect". Andrew, EddieLee, Paul, and possibly Ruby got it.

-bm

Edited by bklm1234

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all this feedback. Very usefull for me as well now that I'm tempted to buy a Sub myself as well... Up till now it has been mainly Panerai's and IWC's but finally I am also looking for the 'most-wanted' rep around.

Personally I was thinking of buying Angel & Jay's Sub on www.silix-prime.com. To be specific, it's this one:

http://www.silix-prime.com/product.asp?id=1212

post-1683-1174120067_thumb.jpgpost-1683-1174120087_thumb.jpg

It's only 115USD and also has ETA inside as well as sapphire instead of mineral.

Dimension: 40mm x 48mm x 12mm

Movement: Autmatic ETA-2836

Dial: Black

Bezel: Black

Case: Stainless steel

Strap: Stainless steel, with hollow mid links and solid end links

Glass: Sapphire crystal

Water-proof/Water-resistant: Yes

Does this watch have the same issues? What about

1. font
  2. rehaut
  3. crown
  4. crown-guards
  5. date-wheel
  6. pearl
  7. .....?

post-1683-1174120106_thumb.jpg

These might be a silly questions but i couldn't find it under search, do reps have the correct number of days to each month or do you have to wind the date forward?

Also, when buying a rep, how do you go about getting the wrist strap to fit properly, is this somthing can be done easily at home, or does it have to be taken to a shop.

Sorry for threading jacking.

Regards

Alligoat - What is the problem with the bezel that you cannot remove it?

I don't know what the problem is, other than people have tried to remove the bezel and it isn't easy. In fact, it's so difficult, that alot of people have bent the bezel. If you're trying to change the insert, you might do better to remove the crystal, and then pop off the insert and put the new insert on w/o removing the bezel itself. I'm not aware of anyone sucessfully removing and reinstalling the bezel on these CN 2006 cases (Noobmariner, Beginmariner, Paul's Perfect, EL's...). If someone figures it out, it would be nice to see a tutorial!

i think its just as good as any at the price range , the only much better ones r watchmasters and mbw ones they coast over double that imho for the money and u r not overly picky they r not so bad

hope this helps

joe

Who is "watchmasters" and who is carrying MBWs these days? I see the MBW reference a lot but never see any of our mainline dealers offering an MBW version.

/Tim

I don't know what the problem is, other than people have tried to remove the bezel and it isn't easy. In fact, it's so difficult, that alot of people have bent the bezel. If you're trying to change the insert, you might do better to remove the crystal, and then pop off the insert and put the new insert on w/o removing the bezel itself. I'm not aware of anyone sucessfully removing and reinstalling the bezel on these CN 2006 cases (Noobmariner, Beginmariner, Paul's Perfect, EL's...). If someone figures it out, it would be nice to see a tutorial!

Read about this problem in another thread. Just curious, has anyone tried a bezel remover tool on these buggers yet? Just wondering if the proper tool is any more successful than just a case knife.

/Tim