When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

$250 Down The Drain.

Corgi

Hi friends.

A little while ago I purchased a lady yacht-master from one of the very reputable dealers here. Sadly, it arrived broken, and I had to send it back. Canada post would not let me have a package with a tracking number unless I paid them $50, which I found to be absurd. So I sent it back to China (very well packaged) with the regular airmail for $10. The watch departed on the 16th of January and has not yet arrived (today is almost one month). I'm pretty sure it has either been lost, stolen, or confiscated... but all of this has been so frustrating and angered me so much I was absolutely outraged... I still am... so forget the stupid watch. It was my own fault for even thinking it would arrive to the airport considering the stupidity of my local post office employees.

I was wondering if any Canadian buyers, from the Ontario (or close) area had to send something back to China, what courier would you recommend? EMS is not available where I live... and I think tracking number would be a good idea next time.

Maybe another question would be asking if anyone was in a similar circustance, and it took this long or longer? I'm going to march down to Canada post on the weekend and get them to compensate me the maximum value for lost merchandise anyway, but the max $100 sentimental value thing doesn't even cover half the price....

:wounded1:

Airmail to China can take for frigging ever... advice if sending back again:

Ask dealer how he wants it sent back.

Ask if they will pay shipping back or at least credit you that amount on your next purchase.

Most likely send registered mail. Costs about $10 more and isn't really a tracking number, but it's better than nothing.

Send proof of registered mail to dealer.

Hey Corgi. I hear you on the outrageous cost of shipping to the far east from Canada. I have found that Purolator Express Post (I believe thats what its called) is pretty reasonable. I haven't sent a watch, but other small packages I've sent cost about $15. I wouldn't give up hope though, even EMS can take 3 weeks, so letter mail could easily take a month or more. With the Chinese New Year shutting things down for the next 2 weeks, don't plan on hearing anything for a while.

Most likely send registered mail. Costs about $10 more and isn't really a tracking number, but it's better than nothing.

Send proof of registered mail to dealer.

No such thing from Canada to an overseas address. Registered is an option for lettermail only. If you want to send a parcel overseas from Canada with any tracking at all, you are forced to use a courier type service, at extortionate rates. I went to send a simple bubble envelope to Ireland the other day. It weighed 41g, and I was quoted anywhere from $60 to $100 for any service with tracking. The cheapest was the post office. The most expensive was Fedex.

No such thing from Canada to an overseas address. Registered is an option for lettermail only. If you want to send a parcel overseas from Canada with any tracking at all, you are forced to use a courier type service, at extortionate rates. I went to send a simple bubble envelope to Ireland the other day. It weighed 41g, and I was quoted anywhere from $60 to $100 for any service with tracking. The cheapest was the post office. The most expensive was Fedex.

Well, at least you guys have great health care and cheap rx drugs north of the border. It has to get paid for somehow...........sorry.

What I would do if I could only move to America... you guys have it so good over there. I do remember one time when I ordered something on eBaY and it took 6 weeks... that is my personal record. I guess China is shut down over the next little while due to festivities, but judging from some of the other things I'm hearing, it sounds like I've waited a relatively short time. But I can't help feeling a little worried since the address I shippied it to sounded so strange and make-believe. I even google-mapped the location but to no avail.... I did however find some interesting satellite photos of Guangzhou province... my God... looks, 'crowded'.

But I can't help feeling a little worried since the address I shippied it to sounded so strange and make-believe.

I can do you one better. One dealer sent me a real make-believe address. I returned my Navitimer to Ruby and after 4-8 weeks (I forget how long) I realised it was never getting there. I verified the address she gave me and she realised she'd made the address up. It was half one address and half another. That watch went off into the void.

I once had a package take 6 weeks to get from Montreal to Boston. I could have walked on foot, backwards, uphill, both ways, and got it faster. I was quite sure the seller had screwed me, but he had a perfect eBay rating. When it finally came, it looked like it had been to the top of Mt. Everest and back. Probably stuck under the back seat of the "delivery vehicle" for a few weeks.

I wouldn't give up hope for a few more weeks anyways.

I can do you one better. One dealer sent me a real make-believe address. I returned my Navitimer to Ruby and after 4-8 weeks (I forget how long) I realised it was never getting there. I verified the address she gave me and she realised she'd made the address up. It was half one address and half another. That watch went off into the void.

Ouch

Edited by Corgi

Probably stuck under the back seat of the "delivery vehicle" for a few weeks.

I ordered a book (FreeBSD Admin reference manual) in English from Amazon UK, which meant delivery to Paris, France should take a week or two. A month later, I informed Amazon, and they sent a replacement that arrived in a matter of days. A few weeks later, the original order arrived, with a UK postmark on it and loads of US stamps and the like, with USPS notes written on it. From London, via Paris, Texas, and for some reason Denver and Newark, it got here. :Jumpy:

I sent my PO 45mm back to China it cost me $28.00, the crown did not screw back on, I do think that the dealer should pay for shipping back to him and back to me, it only took one week ot get there.

I asked the dealer to make sure that nothing is wrong with the watch before I order. I guess they did not check anything.

The watch got fix and is back home.

Regards and Good luck

What I would do if I could only move to America... you guys have it so good over there. I do remember one time when I ordered something on eBaY and it took 6 weeks... that is my personal record. I guess China is shut down over the next little while due to festivities, but judging from some of the other things I'm hearing, it sounds like I've waited a relatively short time. But I can't help feeling a little worried since the address I shippied it to sounded so strange and make-believe. I even google-mapped the location but to no avail.... I did however find some interesting satellite photos of Guangzhou province... my God... looks, 'crowded'.

Oh yeah.. we have it great.. we have the most hated leader and we are the most hated people on the earth. Stay in Canada dude.. in fact move farther north so so you can escape the nuke blast. :whistling:

I ordered a book (FreeBSD Admin reference manual) in English from Amazon UK, which meant delivery to Paris, France should take a week or two. A month later, I informed Amazon, and they sent a replacement that arrived in a matter of days. A few weeks later, the original order arrived, with a UK postmark on it and loads of US stamps and the like, with USPS notes written on it. From London, via Paris, Texas, and for some reason Denver and Newark, it got here. :Jumpy:

:D I see we are sharing long and strange delivery times/routes. Ordered a book in the end of Jan. 2006 from (a seller on) Alibris in the US. Delivery took about 10 months to Sweden, and in that time it had seen more of the world than I have - or will ever be able to. Oh, and it arrived looking as an 'U'.. given that it was a hardback version... someone really really must've hated Kant :D

As a proud Canadian, I must say this to you: "You're an idiot!".

Americans have it good because they can easily send counterfeit items back and forth from China??!! Are you seriously that stupid?!

Next time you get sick and end up walking freely into a hospital, without worrying if it's going to cost you your house, I suggest you get on your knees and kiss the Canadian ground that you stand on!

No disrespect to America and Americans - I have lived in various cities in the US (and Europe), and I have the outmost respect for a country that is always ready to help out the rest of the world; but if you're a midlle-class, middle-earner individual, life is far far better and safer in Canada.

Dumb Canadians such as yourself, who always seem to think that the 'grass is greener' elsewhere, is the only thing that is wrong with this country!

All I can say is this: pack your bags, go live in the US (or anywhere else for that matter) and in a couple of years you might be able to intelligently speak about 'having it good'!

Moron!

You're talking about a she!!!???

There is not to many female dealers here so there's a good chance it's the same one who screwed me.

I lost my package too, because she didn't want to except 25$ tax at chinese costums.

Offcourse I can understand her problem not to go to costums, because she would get in trouble.

The problem is now she only wants to pay my shippingcosts as a discount on the next buy.

I HAD TO PAY 90 EURO (115$), BECAUSE SHE ASKED ME TO SEND IT WITH DHL. (freaking expensive)

Three watches broke down in one week after I got them at home.

All together I loose more than 800 dollar and she only want to give me a 115$ discount. Big F** Joke

I'm still mailing with her, but I notice she is not responding as quick as she normally does.

I will absolutely go nuts if this problem isn't solved in a normal way!!!

:D I see we are sharing long and strange delivery times/routes. Ordered a book in the end of Jan. 2006 from (a seller on) Alibris in the US. Delivery took about 10 months to Sweden, and in that time it had seen more of the world than I have - or will ever be able to. Oh, and it arrived looking as an 'U'.. given that it was a hardback version... someone really really must've hated Kant :D

Have a look at this

http://www.justchina.org/china/moving-to-china.asp

Chinese customs have put watches/clocks as restricted items - real or fake - they will automatically confiscate them at customs if found or declared. There is no rational reason - they don't like cameras or bicycles either.

Royal Mail in the UK won't even take them if they are headed for china. I've lost three sending them back so I don't send them anymore - just emphasise to my dealer the importance of quality control before the watches are sent out.

I've asked the trade office at the Chinese embassy and they say that have no idea why watches and clocks are prohibited - maybe the Communist Government don't want the people to know what time it is...

Edited by Tom