When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The New Credit Card Processing....

dak244

So I looked a little, but didn't see much information on the new credit card processing Josh and trusty will be doing. Is anyone else besides me a little worried about using your credit card to purchase reps? Is this completely safe?

First, I feel a little uncomfortable, with all the customs issues lately, leaving a paper trail (a long and easily spotted one at that) behind me on every purchase. I know that paypal was very similar, but I just feel like it is easier (maybe not??) Secondly, as much as I trust our dealers (and I do ALOT) I still just haven't stomached putting my credit card out there. As it is they use the "cookie-cutter" software, and I have no idea how easily hacked their sites are.

So to sum it up, I am not trying to say its not safe or that I know anything more about the topic than anyone else, I was just throwing it out there for discussion to see if anyone else was having the same hesitations/thoughts as I was......

You could buy a VISA gift card from a local bank - I'm assuming you don't have to provide them identification if you buy it with cash. That way you end up with an essentially one-time use VISA card that is not easily tracable back to you and you don't have to worry about someone stealing your credit card info. They probably charge $4-5 dollars for the card...

Dak244,

I purchased my watch from Joshua using my VISA debit card and Western Union. I liked the fact that WU has been around for a while and has a good reputation. The ordering process was very easy (MUCH easier than trying to set up a PayPal account!!) and gave me good confirmation info for my records. Plus, tracking info, pickup confirmation, etc.

All things considered, I would use my debit/VISA card and Western Union again in a heartbeat. I definitely recommend this route if you are very nervous about using your credit card online (Like I am). Something to be said for a well established, long standing company (i.e. WU). I also signed up for the "verified by visa" service from my bank (BOA).

BTW, I received my watch from Josh 6 days after placing the WU money transfer. Very good IMO. His prices were a bit higher than some other dealers but I have absolutely no regrets about ordering from him. He also replied to my emails very quickly, usually the same day. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Regards,

Jeff (stang)

you should always monitor your cards regularly online

report fraudulent chargs with 48 hrs of you dicoverin it and your max libility is 50 bucks if you are a good customer thy will never charge you.

re: customs no more paper trail then paypal. and josh's server not likly to get seized in china. small overall risk

even if you get caught worst thng that would happen is a fine.

your not going to jail for buying a couple of reps

So I looked a little, but didn't see much information on the new credit card processing Josh and trusty will be doing. Is anyone else besides me a little worried about using your credit card to purchase reps? Is this completely safe?

Even if you trust Josh and Trusty, do you trust their packing monkeys? Or their CC clearance house?

I'm exceedingly reluctant to pass my credit card details on to counterfeiters.

The one thing I like about PP is that my CC info stays within a reputable organization and only the cash goes to the recipient. Even though I "trust" Trusty/Andrew to a certain level, I would never in my dreams buy with a direct cc charge from his (or any other rep dealer's) website (no offense meant).

Hi,

for the French customers, you can use a "one time use credit card number", most banks provide this service online. It is valid once, during one month, for the amount you decide and it costs next to nothing (looks like the gift credit card system). Does this exist elsewhere ?

No offense meant to any dealer that is using CC processing....but I would be hesitant to pass my details on......what if the gateway processors server got hacked......or if you're sending details direct to the dealer.......anything can happen.......!

I keep hearing the same old mantra...'it's not illegal to buy reps'........maybe not yet in your country......but look at Italy and France now......you get your ass reamed with huge fines.....what if suddenly YOUR government decided that instead of going after the supply....why not kill the demand......suddenly you could find yourself as a target.......the best way to conduct this business is with an eye to anoniminity......and keep it under the radar as much as possible......Moneygram / WU etc etc....are very efficient and anonymous........if you have access to 'one off' Visa cards....then that's ideal.....but no card registered to you on a permanent basis.....JMHO.

Edited by TTK

I don't think any electronic money transfer system offers much in the way of anonymity. After September 11th the anti-money laundering legislation was tightended considerably - if the authorities want to see who transfered what and to whom, they can get this info with a wave of the pen.

Yes....but at least with WU ...there's no details of what the transfer was for.....using a CC processing system.....you have to specify some sort of item....from the shopping basket ....reference number.....etc etc.....there's less risk using WU..or similar.....I also keep hearing people say.....'it doesn't afford me the protection that Paypal does....".....when I hear that ...I automatically think.."chargeback'....the truth of the matter is ...your best protection is in the hands of your dealer.....if he's been here a long time...he won't prejudice your interests by skipping with your cash...and most complaints can be easily sorted out by posting here......also...use your Visa card with WU......I believe you still get the same protection.....!

I don't think any electronic money transfer system offers much in the way of anonymity. After September 11th the anti-money laundering legislation was tightended considerably - if the authorities want to see who transfered what and to whom, they can get this info with a wave of the pen.

... in the US.

There are several systems that offer a certain degree of anonymity, but the US blocks them saying they're used for gambling. :animal_rooster:

... in the US.

There are several systems that offer a certain degree of anonymity, but the US blocks them saying they're used for gambling. :animal_rooster:

No, I was thinking about the UK... The UK anti-money laundering regs are pretty strict. Even before the recent tightening, any transfer above a certain value (around £5K I think) into, out of, or between banks was automatically reported to HM government. I seem to remember the Inland Revenue gaining unrestricted access to bank accounts in the UK when they merged with HM Customs (who have rather frightening powers in the search & inspection department). Did you know that an HM Customs (or Inland Revenue now) officer can search you, your house, place of business or motor vehicle without a search warrant? Not many people do...

Unless you are tranferring money from your numbered swiss account, or your bank in the Virgin Islands... If they want you, they have you.

First, I feel a little uncomfortable, with all the customs issues lately, leaving a paper trail (a long and easily spotted one at that) behind me on every purchase. I know that paypal was very similar, but I just feel like it is easier (maybe not??) Secondly, as much as I trust our dealers (and I do ALOT) I still just haven't stomached putting my credit card out there. As it is they use the "cookie-cutter" software, and I have no idea how easily hacked their sites are.

Its not illegal to buy or own replicas, so customs shouldnt be an issue.. However I wouldnt use my credit card to directly pay for an order unless it was with a dealer I 100% trusted. We all have our favourite dealers that we know and trust so if you have this kind of relationship there shouldnt be an issue.. I do see how this could be a problem for noob's though, I wouldnt pay a dealer I hadnt used before with a CC..

Its not illegal to buy or own replicas

:blink:

Um, sure, it is where I live. Also, the fact you're buying them means you're smuggling them. In the US, once they're in your possession, you're fine, but if they get stopped in customs, you're [censored]ed. In certain countries in Europe, even possessing them can get you a heavy fine.

Just to reiterate, it's not a question of trusting the dealers. It's a question of trusting everyone with whom they do business, from the packing monkey at the factory on a menial salary, even for China, to the processing company that doesn't have to comply with European or US data-protection laws. Remember the scandal in India where the companies hired by the UK banks had some employees that were caught selling credit card lists wholesale for several times their paltry annual salaries to the Russian Mafia?

It all depends on what you value most....a Sub or your identity......identity theft is a fargin' nightmare scenario.....having to deal with your bank...the government......not to mention EQUIFAX....try convincing them that you .....DID NOT TAKE ON CREDIT.... that 42' plasma.

Credit card transactions are fine.....until you get reamed.....and creamed....I never hand my CC over to a waiter.....I ask him to bring the swiper to the table...or accompany him to the checkout....it's not so bad in the UK anymore....you have to input a 4 digit pin number to authorise your card.....so it makes it difficult for thieves to carry out POS purchases.....but not over the net.....!

For anyone in the UK who wants to use a CC safely online, you could try going down the prepaid route (like the Visa gift card that another member mentioned in the US). Here are a list of companies offering what are effectively 'disposable credit cards':

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/cards/card...Feature=Prepaid

I must admit I wasn't aware that these even existed until we started having this discussion, seems like quite a good option for carrying holiday money.

... in the US.

in theory, yes. but it is not as easy to police as you think at least not for wire transfers. Large bank's maek hundreds of thousands of these payments a day to overseas correspondents. they track suspicous activities based on known security threats and other regulotory requriements. Somehow I doubt Josh and Andrew are on their lists..

To me pre-paid is the would be safest way to go if you do not worry about someone finding what the purchase id for . i.e. counterfiet goods.. even in pre-paid, i do not think you can be anonymous. for now i am leaning toward wire which is very secure.

Just to reiterate, it's not a question of trusting the dealers. It's a question of trusting everyone with whom they do business, from the packing monkey at the factory on a menial salary, even for China, to the processing company that doesn't have to comply with European or US data-protection laws. Remember the scandal in India where the companies hired by the UK banks had some employees that were caught selling credit card lists wholesale for several times their paltry annual salaries to the Russian Mafia?

100% agree. the issue with credit card theft almost NEVER has to do with transmitting the data.... it is very easy to get access to public/private key encryption transmission services.. it is what happens when the data arrives.. how securely is it stored, etc..

It all depends on what you value most....a Sub or your identity......identity theft is a fargin' nightmare scenario.....having to deal with your bank...the government......not to mention EQUIFAX....try convincing them that you .....DID NOT TAKE ON CREDIT.... that 42' plasma.

This happened to someone who is very close to me about 10 years ago.. i.e. idenity theft... and to this day, she STILL has people periodically trying to open fraudulent credit cards with her indentity. Trust me, is a nightmare.

in theory, yes. but it is not as easy to police as you think at least not for wire transfers. Large bank's maek hundreds of thousands of these payments a day to overseas correspondents. they track suspicous activities based on known security threats and other regulotory requriements. Somehow I doubt Josh and Andrew are on their lists..

To me pre-paid is the safest way to go, followed by wire.

I would agree, the chances of them starting the 'war on replicas' as a replacement for the 'war on terror' (whatever happened to the 'war on drugs'?) is very slim. In which case, any money transfer method is an option.