When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Radium, anyone?

I have access to a very small amount of radium for luming- Enough to do maybe 2 dials and 2 sets of hands. The stuff is pricey, but given the material subject, it's a bit of a given. Item would only be available to US deliveries (no overseas shipping).

Still considering if I even want to mess with the stuff. Radium kinda gives me the creeps :blink:

The metal of the movement and case should definitely protect your wrist.

Just don't sleep with the watch on you, or near you, and keep the dial away from your thyroid and your balls.

Randy,

Don't worry mate this aint gamma radiation the radiation that is given off discipates within 2-3cm of air, so if you include the crystal and the metal the radiation itself carries the entire distance of about 3-4mm as it can't penetrate either.

No worries you would have to be sniffing the bloody stuff.

Chris

I have access to a very small amount of radium for luming- Enough to do maybe 2 dials and 2 sets of hands. The stuff is pricey, but given the material subject, it's a bit of a given. Item would only be available to US deliveries (no overseas shipping).

Still considering if I even want to mess with the stuff. Radium kinda gives me the creeps :blink:

You will end up with three noses and 4 ears if you mess with this stuff!!!!!!!!!

Stay away.

The bottom line here is that it is very radioactive.

The caseback does not protect the wearer from its radioactivity. I know I know, people always say that the caseback it too thick for Radium to penetrate. Well, that is sort of the case for Tritium; but, it is NOT the case with Radium. Do not listen to other posters in this thread. It is very dangerous. Even sleeping with the watch and sticking your hand under the pillow will give you jaw cancer. Stay away!

19784-2539.jpg

Heh... Indeed. Tritium is one thing... Radium is another.

I was rather hesitant to even post my initial message, as I have no idea if the material could even be legally shipped via post or other means.

I don't think I want to deal with the stuff... It's just a little too creepy to me.

*grimace*

Heh... Indeed. Tritium is one thing... Radium is another.

I was rather hesitant to even post my initial message, as I have no idea if the material could even be legally shipped via post or other means.

I don't think I want to deal with the stuff... It's just a little too creepy to me.

*grimace*

Actually it's nbd to own or ship radium. (Just don't powder it up and breathe it!) Tritium, on the other hand, like in some Luminox watches I have, iss verrry stricktly verbotten, und you vill be meeting mit Michael Jerkoff verrry soon iff you chooosss to play with heavy water. I would put up a few links to oakridge lab studies and radium and watch dials etc, but it seems like everyone here already has his mind made up one way or the other, never mind the facts, so if you think it's too dangerous to even say out loud (Voldemort!) then stay away, and if you think it's nothing at all (Mdm and Msr Curie might disagree), go ahead and play without a care.

it would probably be the best if some physician could comment on that... all i have seen until now is just stuff you guys "think" and nothing you can prove with facts or you would bet your wife on!

Oh, what a coincidence, I actually happen to be a physician.

Total body radiation amount taken is not a reliable index of rad damage risk in a single given point.

When one sleeps while wearing his watch, he has no control on where the dial goes and rests on his body.

If he stays some hours with the crystal at contact with a sensible part like thyroid region, cancer induction is a (small) possibility.

If he stays some hours with the crystal at contact with testicles, mutagenicity can occur (and it will affect the offsprings).

This possibilities enhance by repeating over nights and nights along.

With apologies for my English.