When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The movie "300" And Leonidas!

elprimerozen

I Just recieved a fax from a university which says what realy happened in the times of "Leonidas and the 300" and about the dialogs that took place at this batle at "Thermopiles"("Hot Gates").

It confirms that the movie is almost 100% corect by placing the corect FACTS and DIALOGS.

Did you see the movie? In my opinion it is a MASTERPIECE!!!Long live the Greeks!

I Just recieved a fax from a university which says what realy happened in the times of "Leonidas and the 300" and about the dialogs that took place at this batle at "Thermopiles"("Hot Gates").

It confirms that the movie is almost 100% corect by placing the corect FACTS and DIALOGS.

Did you see the movie? In my opinion it is a MASTERPIECE!!!Long live the Greeks!

It's as close to accurate as history can make it, but, they missed one small thing. In the end it wouldn't have made one bit of difference, but, the 300 was actually 1300. The 300 were a fighting force to be dealth with, but, there were 1000 others there who were suppose to come into the battle when needed. They did come into it, but, like the 300 they were wiped out too. Sort of a trivia thing, I guess.

This is the best movie I have ever seen PERIOD.

BTW, has anyone else heard about this movie being banned in Iran....I have heard this from friends, but not seen anything concrete....anyone?

Here's what I found so far.

On March 22 2007, the Iranian mission to the U.N. protested the movie 300 in a press release saying "While recognizing that this is not a docudrama and its content is largely fictionalized ,that it is a fantasy version of a historical past, nonetheless it seems judicious to investigate why the film fails to convey a bare minimum truth about Iranian history and indulges in inventing perverse, demonic images of Persians? The movie is so overly racist, so overflowing with vicious stereotype of Persians, as a dangerous, bestial force fatally threatening the civilized "free" world, that conveys an implicit acquiescence to the contemporary discourses of hatred espousing a `clash of civilizations.' "

The Iranian embassy in France also protested the screening of this movie in France

Remember that Persia is now called Iran ...

Saw it last week......I like Miller's stuff.......it's a good film...not as good as Sin City...but good nevertheless....nothistorialy accurate....but then it is based on the comic book...not history...!

BTW....it's Thermopylae.....:D

Saw it last week......I like Miller's stuff.......it's a good film...not as good as Sin City...but good nevertheless....nothistorialy accurate....but then it is based on the comic book...not history...!

Yeah, it focusses on the 300 and a handful of Arcadians. There's no mention of the 700 Thespians, for instance. Still, this doesn't stop it from being an excellent film.

I too like Miller's stuff, even Robocop 2 :lol: , and I was glad for a faithful adaptation. He seems to have a lot more luck than Alan Moore for the accuracy of his adaptations ...

It's as close to accurate as history can make it, but, they missed one small thing. In the end it wouldn't have made one bit of difference, but, the 300 was actually 1300. The 300 were a fighting force to be dealth with, but, there were 1000 others there who were suppose to come into the battle when needed. They did come into it, but, like the 300 they were wiped out too. Sort of a trivia thing, I guess.

Just for the record....In Thermopyles in Greece there is a monument wich say that there was 300 Spartans who died plus 700 Thespians who died also...there are no Arcadians,this is not correct and based only from the comic.

Just for the record....In Thermopyles in Greece there is a monument wich say that there was 300 Spartans who died plus 700 Thespians who died also...there are no Arcadians,this is not correct and based only from the comic.

Herodotus disagrees with you:

Units Numbers

Spartans 300

Mantineans 500

Tegeans 500

Arcadian Orchomenos 120

Other Arcadians 1,000

Corinthians 400

Phlians 200

Mycenaeans 80

Thespians 700

Thebans 400

Phocians 1,000

Opuntian Locrians 13

Total 5,200+

Now, at the end of the battle, the remaining troops left the Arcadians and Spartans. The last stand was indeed just the 700/300.

Herodotus disagrees with you:

Units Numbers

Spartans 300

Mantineans 500

Tegeans 500

Arcadian Orchomenos 120

Other Arcadians 1,000

Corinthians 400

Phlians 200

Mycenaeans 80

Thespians 700

Thebans 400

Phocians 1,000

Opuntian Locrians 13

Total 5,200+

Now, at the end of the battle, the remaining troops left the Arcadians and Spartans. The last stand was indeed just the 700/300.

Herodotus....hmmm....you have to seek the history of Greece a lot to have an opinion about him...

The think is that Herodotus dosent disagree with me ,but just with the monument that is located in Thermopyles. Yes Herodotus is saying these....no doubt about that.

The think is that Herodotus dosent disagree with me ,but just with the monument that is located in Thermopyles. Yes Herodotus is saying these....no doubt about that.

The monument in Thermopyles is to the last stand, not all the soldiers present. Those who went home before the end weren't commemorated.

The History Channel has been running an excellent one hour documentary on Leonidals and the 300. It should be more accurately called Leonidas and the 1300. Well worth watching if you have not seen it.

I'm looking forward to the film as well!

Tivo'd it last night on the History Channel. Can't wait to see the movie. Maybe with the success of this movie, we might get more epic Greek/Roman type movies.

The History Channel has been running an excellent one hour documentary on Leonidals and the 300. It should be more accurately called Leonidas and the 1300. Well worth watching if you have not seen it.

I downloaded the documentary and found it repetitive, but interesting. Oh, and the visuals are nowhere near as good as 300. :D