When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Recent Issues

Guest TTK

In light of recent developments such as PP and other infiltrations to the board, I think it would be a good idea to put our house in order, posts such as "I think our dealers are filthy rich....at least $25,000 a month".....serve no useful purpose for the sustenance of our hobby, provocative post such as this only serve to inflame and engender a determination to undermine the hobby....by those who don't share our views.

We should be more circumspect when posting, one thing I would like to see end....( and would like it if we could edit ALL the posts )........is to see the dropping of using personal names when posting......I feel uncomfortable when I see my name posted.....and particularly when I get an e-mail from a noob who has 2x posts...saying....'Hi Neil'........there's no need to use anything other than our screen name......!

There are many other things that we could do.......such as not welcoming noobs with open arms and advising them where to go shopping......we don't know who they are.......let them earn the right to that info......don't just hand it out willy nilly.......stop posting links to websites and e-mail etc etc..!

Edited by TTK

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

TTK,

You are of course, again, correct.

We , as a group have become overly complacent, and now it's biting us on the bum... big time.

(I looked at your post on the other thread, will leave it to our admin manager to deal with.)

Maybe now is the time to say...People, a little decorum please.

If you are unsure of forum etiquette, PM one of the mods before posting something which may be questionable, and ask for advice.

Offshore

Maybe we should update the forum etiquette:

- no use of personal names

- no topics or reference to l@w and cust#ms

- no more stories about "I've been to an AD and showed my rep" (Did it once myself, but learned from it..)

- no direct reference to sites of dealers. Only through PM.

- no posting of rep pics at TZ

etc.etc.

Let's keep this hobby alive by staying underground....

I agree with everything above, but I feel the horse has already bolted. If we want to stay an underground community then we need to consider the advertising of this website and it's purpose. Is it here to stop people getting scammed, or is it here for a community to share a common interest? If it's the latter we should pull the plug from search engines, if it's the former, then being an underground society isn't really possible. At best we can abide by the rules in the above posts to lower the amount unwanted attention.

Hi,

I don't always agree with TTK's point of views, but I must say that here I consider everything he said is right and wise !

(although he does not need me to approve his words ^_^ )

I don't want to provoke any conflict, but how many times have "trolls" not been stopped ? I love this place, I respect mods and admins (for I have also been mod and admin during 3 years), but I feel (wish) they would sometimes be stricter.

Free expression of opinions is a right in the real life, but it does not have to harm the community's interests.

No offense in my opinion, just a (not so more) secret wish.

TTK is right. Everyone has gotten too complacent. Not only do rules have to be stated. They have to be enforced. Participation on this forum is a priviledge - not a right. But it is not treated as such.

I agree.

We should be more circumspect when posting, one thing I would like to see end....( and would like it if we could edit ALL the posts )........is to see the dropping of using personal names when posting......I feel uncomfortable when I see my name posted.....and particularly when I get an e-mail from a noob who has 2x posts...saying....'Hi Neil'........there's no need to use anything other than our screen name......!

Mum's the word, Ethel.

In light of recent developments such as PP and other infiltrations to the board, I think it would be a good idea to put our house in order, posts such as "I think our dealers are filthy rich....at least $25,000 a month".....serve no useful purpose for the sustenance of our hobby, provocative post such as this only serve to inflame and engender a determination to undermine the hobby....by those who don't share our views.

There are many other things that we could do.......such as not welcoming noobs with open arms and advising them where to go shopping......we don't know who they are.......let them earn the right to that info......don't just hand it out willy nilly.......stop posting links to websites and e-mail etc etc..!

At the risk of being berated I'd like to point out as a noob that when joining this little fraternity, I saw no giant placard telling me what to do or how to present myself other than the demand to maintain civility on the board. As for as using personal names and welcoming with open arms, there must be lots of us who simply didn't know that "hi neil" or "hi ken" in an email was harmful. Perhaps it would be a good idea to have a Rules Of The Board page when joining, informing prospective members what they can and can't do. And how exactly am I to earn the right to purchasing a watch? Do I need to say lots of great stuff, or simply show sufficient servility before the senior members? I've asked some dumb questions and been schooled appropriately. Now is it ok for me to buy a watch?

Mild thread-crapping, but no disrespect implied.

No need for lessons.

I take that back....

Before this thread rides off into thirty-six different directions, it might be a good idea to re-read TTK's analysis.

And let it sink slowly into our collective neurons - if need be.

He's been on the scene from the very beginning, and usually knows what sort of mess is going to hit the fan way before anyone else.

What he sometimes lacks in tact he more than makes up for in his knowledge of how the real world works.

Just a word to the wise - including incorrigible wiseasses such as myself....

All valid points.

I think we need to be a lot less tolerant of the trolls and those that are here to stir things up.

Why we continue to allow posts from members who's only goal is to try and entice members to destroy their watches is beyond my understanding, I have zero tolerance for that crap.

RG

The Zigmeister, it aint about trolls, it is about whether some members are making profit on other members beyond what those other members wish to tolerate, in other words, as inflated as it might be, it calls for the public opinion of the members who are spending their money on board, not those who are using the board for doing business, legal, illegal, good work or not, does not bloody matter.

I quite agree, as I agreed with your points about the Cartel.

Given what has happened, I will never give the name of my dealer on open forum. They are a personal friend, and while I know they give good service to all their customers, the free orange Planet Ocean was a gift between friends, not between dealer and client, and I do not want people to start hassling them for 'freebies'. If someone is genuinely interested in buying from them, I will happily give their name in a PM, but if I get ONE email from them saying "You recommended (insertnamehere) to me and they hassled me for a free watch", I will be seriously [censored] off and never give their name out to anyone else. I remember reading a thread where people were laying into Pug for not getting his brother to ship out cheap reps. The majority of people here are decent and respectfull, but there are some who act as if people owe them some sort of favor, or that discounts/gifts given to one person, should automatically be carried over to another buyer, and that is an attitude I refuse to tollerate or pander to.

Ziggy, it aint about trolls, it is about whether some members are making profit on other members beyond what those other members wish to tolerate, in other words, as inflated as it might be, it calls for the public opinion of the members who are spending their money on board, not those who are using the board for doing business, legal, illegal, good work or not, does not bloody matter.

I am not clear on what this means. I read it three times, but I dont' understand the meaning, I must be loosing something in the transelation in my brain...

RG

In general, I agree with what TTK said. I don't think there's any question that we need to be a bit more cautious in future. That being said, I feel there has to be a balance. As I understand it, one of the original purposes of this and the related forums was to provide information for rep collectors not wanting to get scammed by places like replicahouse.com. This place saved me--and I'm sure, many others--hundreds if not thousands of dollars. But once you start talking about restricting access and refusing to deal with newbies, doesn't that defeat the very idea of a forum like this? Namely, to provide good information for people interested in rep collecting? I'm all for some kind of changes in the future, but I just think we need to bear in mind that there are lots of newbies out there who are just looking for good information about buying a good rep.

I am not clear on what this means. I read it three times, but I dont' understand the meaning, I must be loosing something in the transelation in my brain...

RG

I read it 10 times and the only thing I can decipher is that perhaps he feels you are profiting off of board members...then my head hurts trying to go further with it.. :pinch:

I don't like the concept of noobs and veterans (we're all noobs in something and veterans in others). But I like the idea of protecting anyone from beeing scammed while holding a certain confidentiality at the same time.

I also like the idea of setting complete rules (whatever they are, and possibly strict, but that's my point of view) so that anyone is framed by the admins/mods will of what this place should be.

If they want it to be an agora where everyone can say anything freely, then let it be so. If they want it to be a place where reserve and discretion are key behaviours, let it be too.

That's maybe the missing thing here : what should this place exactly be ?

Now my very humble feeling : I would love it to be as ever, but with aggressive people and/or trolls having no room to move, for the community's sake.

RG

+1

I had a fair amount of beer last night watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs, so I'm admittedly a bit under the weather. But reading that is crossing my eye's! I have no idea what he was trying to say? :g: