When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Honpo's cheap-[censored] Noobdaytona

kanerich

I can't link or show pictures, but most of you know how to get to the watchhonpo site.

Ken's selling a new low-end Daytona for only 12000 yen (about $100) -- it is cosmetically the same as the modded Asian 7750 but uses some cheap Chinese movement where the nine and three o'clock subdials and the chronograph hand are all nonfunctional. The six o'clock second dial does sweep, however. Yeah, it's a bit dodgy but hey, it's $100 and I can see some people springing for it and I'm not at all convinced it's a worse way to go than the time-bomb modded Asian 7750 for a third of the price.

Stay away from Ken. He has decided that it's worth it to start scamming senior members around here. What an idiot.

Anyhow, u have been forwarned.

He's still got a decent reputation here in Japan . . . pity he's decided that he doesn't have to be ethical as a general rule. In any case I'm not suggesting people buy from Ken, rather that this watch is likely to be offered by other dealers soon and probably is of interest to some members. I would personally choose it over the jury-rigged Asian 7750 -- it's just not worth it to spend $300 on a watch that is likely to become a paperweight in a few months.

I'd buy one, I love Daytonas and I have no problem with the non-functionality of this one. Very nice for $100.

I hope our dealers offer this soon, thanks for bringing it up, Kanerich.

EL did? I don't recall that.

About 1 1/2 yrs. ago Joshua also offered a cheapo asian Daytona and had his watchsmith freeze the secs @ 9 subdial, running secs @ 6 if I remember.

I bought that one, black dial, but it had these awful fat shiny subdial rings. It's still sitting in my watch box, unworn.

He's still got a decent reputation here in Japan . . . pity he's decided that he doesn't have to be ethical as a general rule. In any case I'm not suggesting people buy from Ken, rather that this watch is likely to be offered by other dealers soon and probably is of interest to some members. I would personally choose it over the jury-rigged Asian 7750 -- it's just not worth it to spend $300 on a watch that is likely to become a paperweight in a few months.

I am referring to members in USA/Europe.

Since you are located in Kansai, there should be no problems for you - but I would not order from him outside of JPN.

Like I said, Ken took some large Western Union payments from a few veteran members here and decided that it's more fun to keep the money. Anyhow, he's an assshole for thinking that it's ok to scam. But you know what? It will all come back to him. I just hope that he's operating out of conservative Kanto when he gets caught & shut down.

It is too bad he is so unreliable (for purchasers in the US), because 2 or 3 of his $300 vintage Daytonas have what appear to be correctly spaced pushers (asymmetrical) and I have not seen these offered by anyone else for that price and in an off-the-shelf watch (so you do not have to scout around for a dial here and a hand there, etc.).

I thought Silixwatches faux subdial daytonas was the best buy around, can't remember how much but they are under $100

Ken

I think that you're right.

The next best were those Poljot 3133-powered versions - but those have not been available for at least 3 years or so.

If it had the exterior of one of Joshua's 328$ 14K Daytonas, but the innards just contained an asian 21J or something to that effect, I would buy one without hesitation even for $150-$250. It will tick a lot longer than the timebomb available now.

• 3 months later...

Time to bump this old one.

I don't go to dealers' sites that much... but does anyone still offer the modern Daytona with non-functional stopwatch? Would like to see pictures of members' watches too (if anyone still have these).

I'd still love to buy one (if the visuals are good).

Yes, especially when there are no alternatives. You either buy a $300 POS, or have a $100 working "novelty item" with a reliable movement. I would buy one in a heartbeat. I'd love to have one modern Daytona in my collection, and the secs at '6 is out of question.

You know, I'd like to see pics & a link of this in the modern (white dial & black dial). If the seconds sub-dial sweeps and doesn't tick, for a cheap little novelty, it'd be fun. CGs are only 15 minutes out of your day and I'm not in the business of timing things, so for that price, I could give a [censored] less about the chronos.

Edited by gioarmani

Yep... so we need to push the dealers to source this. I'm sure it's not a big deal for the factory to throw in the 21J movements and freeze the stopwatch hand and 2 subdials. But we have to remind them that this watch is interesting ONLY if the price tag is correct.

This has potential to become a good seller.

I want the white 2001 version. Hands down the nicest of them all:

http://www.perfectclones88.com/rlds10005-w...del-p-2990.html

I cannot remember who, but one of the collectors recently had a 7750-based 16520 for sale. Since the 16520 looks almost like the current 116520 (narrower hour markers and secs running at 9 instead of 6), that seems like the one to get. That way, you have an accurate rep with a fully-functional & reliable movement.

But I am happy to report that my secs at 6 116520 is still running fine

293020-4065.jpg