When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ny New Treasure - Falco Masterpiece

Watchmeister

I just received this from Falco and it definitely is a one-of-a-kind and fabulous addition to my small Rolex collection. Many thanks to him. He is an artist. :notworthy:

Highlights - Case and CG work, gen dial (stunning), springbars, bezel insert and pearl, crystal, crown and tube. Swiss vaccuum packed version of slow beat ETA 2846 with a first class hollow-link bracelet.

The view from afar:

239552-10351.jpg

Casework:

239552-10352.jpg

That Gorgeous dial - the sweet smell of tritium?

239552-10353.jpg

And those wrist shots:

239552-10354.jpg

239552-10355.jpg

sorry but its just not doing it for me on many levels im afraid though its a step ahead of what else is around for sure. crystal profile seems more 39 than 19 though "polishing" could possibly explain it away. not a big fan of your redial either though id take a redial over a rep dial i guess...

241375-9723.jpg

after the insert was fixed

241375-9724.jpg

just before a service, twinlock safely replaced with a modern crown for the visit

241375-9725.jpg

Edited by thewightstuff

• 2 weeks later...
sorry but its just not doing it for me on many levels im afraid though its a step ahead of what else is around for sure. crystal profile seems more 39 than 19 though "polishing" could possibly explain it away. not a big fan of your redial either though id take a redial over a rep dial i guess...

247322-8335.jpg

after the insert was fixed

247322-8336.jpg

just before a service, twinlock safely replaced with a modern crown for the visit

247322-8337.jpg

Yes, we all know you have a gen 5512 wightstuff, I've seen your posts at the gen vintage rolex forum :whistling:

wtf guys, so theres in all actuality no room for comment over the merits and shortcomings of reps here, especially if those participating and offering their thoughts have gens?

just so i'm sure, you would rather everyone just presented merely a charade of a debate and critique but all concluded that any rep being discussed was amazing/flawless etc inspite of the evidence to the contrary?

surely you wouldnt prefer it that when a watch is presented no scrutiny is allowed to be placed at all.

surely its wrong that no questioning or correction is allowed on parts listed as "genuine" that clearly are not and no challenge to words such as flawless are to be made in the least?

im sure i dont need to over play how uncomfortable that makes me feel on many levels and why such a state can only be counter productive to everyone here. it doesnt serve to improve the awareness and understanding of those interested, it doesnt serve to prevent misinformation becoming fact and most of all if doesnt serve the push for higher quality and accuracy amongst all the hobbyists here, myself included.

i for one am not accepting these terms both from a personal perspective and as a member of this community.

i learn things here everyday about models of which i have little or no experience and hope that my views on models of which i do have some as a result of direct interaction and ownership can benefit others.

a gold standard exists for each rep in the form of the genuine rolex model whether anyone likes it or not. since everyone spends so much time and effort in trying to create something exact it would appear that actions prove that this is indeed the level towards which everyone strives, atleast in terms of aesthetic accuracy if nothing else.

while it may appear that the quality of a rep is subjective in many ways, it is worth remembering that there is an absolute value against which all can and more importantly will be measured.

as such it would seem that comments regarding the accuracy of features from those both au fait or in ownership of genuine models would serve the community with valuable contributions and should be welcomed.

there was never any attempt at effecting superiority due to me owning genuine models or casting any opinion regarding replica watches and no comments regarding quality of workmanship or effort.

if you choose to not take onboard any comment offered in these forums and use them constructively in the improvement of your watches then that is entirely up to you but you should be ashamed for trying to stifle comment in this manner.

infact the two posts above are symptomatic of much that is wrong with these forums and hint at something thats both much more prevelant and often expressed far stronger on many threads here. namely that expressing a view that certain features on a watch are less than accurate when its that of a private member is becoming increasingly taboo. the juxtaposition of this against the scrutiny of anything posted on ebay or by a dealer is interesting to say the least though this is not really the place for this.

Edited by thewightstuff

Kruzer -- For whatever it is worth, I think your watch looks amazing. But I have to agree with TWS on the dial. Whether it is gen or not, it looks somehow odd and out of place in that otherwise fine watch. I think what bothers me about it is that it looks repainted, very similar to my own attempts at dial refinishing. The visible 'handwork' draws my eye directly to it and that immediately makes me question a watch's authenticity (which is why I have been unable to use any of my own repaints). But I think it is clear that there is a wide variance in opinions on what passes as an acceptable level of quality for dials.

Kruzer -- For whatever it is worth, I think your watch looks amazing. But I have to agree with TWS on the dial. Whether it is gen or not, it looks somehow odd and out of place in that otherwise fine watch. I think what bothers me about it is that it looks repainted, very similar to my own attempts at dial refinishing. The visible 'handwork' draws my eye directly to it and that immediately makes me question a watch's authenticity (which is why I have been unable to use any of my own repaints). But I think it is clear that there is a wide variance in opinions on what passes as an acceptable level of quality for dials.

Well, the dial is gen, easy to spot and compare to a rep one especially notice how thinner the font is compared to an MBW one. A lot of vintage gen dials get degraded after a while and to have the dial cleaned up and re-lumed by a watchsmith is common (instead of sending it to Rolex who'll only put a brand new dial in there and reducing its value). Didn't mean to offend you TWS, I appreciate you putting those pictures up. Notice that the 5512 dial of Kruzer is a vintage radium one style and TWS is vintage Tritium one.

I noticed this 5512 on ebay and thought it was interesting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1

This watch has a dial somewhat like kruzer's, but with the larger "maxi" markers, no Swiss-T<25, short minute markers, a somewhat conical rehaut, and slim font on the bezel insert. It is a redial.

A couple of things that I've learned over the last few years in studying Rolexes is that even Rolex made changes to the models thru the years, and there are levels of perfection even in the genuine watches. But you have to except that in 40 year old watches, especially when you can no longer get parts for them.

Yesterday, this 5512 watch went for $4550. It was in better condition (excepting a movement servicing).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...p;rd=1&rd=1