When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

So I was wondering how you choose what watch to wear?

cableguy

what happens when my 6th watch gets here soon? :bicycle:

So far I've been wearing my Sub for the last 2 weeks since I've gotten it, the Explorer II stays in the watch winder. My Tag rep (which isnt accurate doesnt look like its gonna get much more wear) and my poor fossil knows he will be the 1st one to get the boot if I need more space in my watch box.

How do YOU choose what to wear? :whistling:

I have two criteria. Occasion/activity, and clothes worn thusly. (I like to always match belt, shoes and watch strap)

I concur with TJ. You obviously would not wear a suit to a wedding, then strap on your PO with the rubberband would you? or would you? :rolleyes: just look at your outfit for the day, and I am sure it will come to you.....unless you play favorites in your group of watches, then it would be different.

just wait till your watch collection grows to 10+ or 20+ watches.... :o

what i'm wearing definitely has an impact on my decision, but i like to generally change things up too.....something different for each day of the week most of the time for me....

deltatahoe

I wore a bathing suit to a Bar Mitzvah cause I like my PO :lol:

Hope it wasn't a Speedo aka banana hammock otherwise you were at risk of getting Bar Mitzvahed yourself; possibly a second time (if you're Jewish). :bicycle:

When I get a new watch and i like it it usually gets worn for a week straight. Other times I choose the watch to match the occasion and what I'm wearing but the clothes usually match the occasion anyway.

Occasions:

Work: Switch daily to match the outfit.

Club: Subtle bling, but not too much to be unbelieveable with the ladies. I. e.Yachtmaster, Day date, TT sub/daytona/BCE.

Strip club: super bling. Strippers are attracted to shiny objects and not too bright. Better service if you look like money. The Gold iced pearlmaster and super president get much time here.

Dinner with the g/f: Something reserved. She doesn't like bling so it's the daytona, yachtmaster, iwc ingy only.

Obviously the occasion has an impact, so if I am going to a concert or dressy occasion I will wear a dressier watch.

However, in general I wear one watch for a given work week. I then switch off for the weekend, and often switch several times during the weekend as I move between chores, relaxing, or going out to party. But during the week I have other things on my mind than what watch to wear, and don't like the idea of drawing attention to myself by wearing a different watch every day. Sure, I wear different clothes every day as well, but somehow that doesn't seem as fussy as deciding each morning what watch to wear.

By the way, I believe watches are to be worn, so I try to wear all of my watches during the course of a month. There are a few watches I don't get to as often, but my main watches do get fairly even play.

Like has been said--match to the clothes and occasion. BTW, IMO wearing a dive watch w/ a suit is like wearing sneakers with a suit. Fine if you're doing some GQ magazine Ironic look thing, but no matter how much the Sub cost, real or rep, it ain't a dress watch.

I also think it's important to vary your rep purchases--If you have 5 steel sport watches w/ black dials it shouldn't be surprising that it's hard to choose. Get a gold dress watch, a steel dress watch, a 44mm PAM, a dive watch on rubber, maybe a more sporty gold watch w/ a black dial like the BB, a silver or blue dial watch w/ a bracelet, etc and you'll have a watch for every occasion with little overlap. Then within those groupings you can get watches w/ different dial colors, sizes, styles to mix it up.

For me, owning 10 watches at a time is about the right balance between versatility and agonizing decisions...LOL!

Please take your Fossil and give it to Good Will or better yet throw it in the garbage/fire.

I have six watches, all of them are lovely, and choosing which to wear is never a problem. I ask myself,

-Where am I going today? Business function, formal affair, opera, strip club?

-Who will I meet/see there today? My friends, my cooworkers, my superior, my client?

-What am I wearing? A suit? A shirt and tie? A underpants only?

Usually the watches chooses itself after.

I've been through the "So many watches...so little time" phase. When I owned 25, I wore the same 5. So now I own 12 and I wear the same 5. At some point, I'll get down to just the 5 I wear.

There could be a Raymond Weil Don Giovanni genuine mint going up in the sellers section in a few days. My wife gave it to me and I wear it every 90 days or so just to get it out of the garage. It's beautiful...but just not me.

To me, my genuine SMP Chrono goes with a bathing suit and a business suit. Sometimes value trumps style. It's a tool watch yes but no one is going to think a chunk of Bond metal is going to look out of place on my wrist at Aunt Jane's funeral.

For me it depends on what I'm doing more than what I'm wearing. Outdoors? Something waterproof and sporty, like a Sub or Seiko. In front of my keyboard writing? Something not too heavy, possibly my GST or Fortis. Pub? Big and bold, like a Panerai, PO or Breitling. Camping? waterproof and possibly my digital if I'm orienteering.

Most of the time, though, I reach for my newest watch or my rotation box.

Pretty much as Pug has said. It depends fore me on the situation. If I am out socially it is usually my 005, or SMP Chrono. At home the UPO. Uni the Aerospace or the UPO. For smarter situations, the BCE on brown leather strap.

Right, what PUG said...

For me however, because I only wear a suit or jacket very infrequently, I mostly wear sport watches.

Owniing more than 20 watches it normally comes down to the choice of 5 or so these days.

What has happened recently though has changed even that wearing pattern. That is...I wear ONLY my 3717 IWC lately.

It seems that I have finally found the watch that appeals to me for ALL occassions. The other 19 sit in my case. Recently when I attended a wedding and wore a jacket I substituted the 3717 with my 'dress' Daytona 6263. I will probably be selling a few of the remaining 18 one day soon.

Out of interest, what are the 5? :)

Omega SMP Chrono Genuine

Hamilton Dodson Gold Genuine

Rolex SS Submariner ETA Replica

Seiko "Black Monster" SS Bracelet Genuine

Hamilton Jazzmaster Chrono (7753 movement) Rose Gold Genuine

One's that rarely get out

IWC FA Jones Replica

Raymond Weil Don Giovanni Genuine

Bulova Two Tone Marine Star Genuine

Seiko Diver Yellow Dial/Rubber Strap Genuine

Seiko "President" Gold 21J Automatic Genuine

Seiko Alarm Chrono (Wedding gift from my wife)

Casio G-Shock Genuine

And 5 or 6 more that cost less than $50 each to buy including a couple of Timex ironman, Loris, etc...

I take a look at the storage case and whichever one grabs my attention at the moment is the one I wear. I like breaking style and fashion rules so I do not consider matching my watch to what I am wearing. I like the incongruency of a sports watch for business and dress watch for casual wear.

The only consideration I do take into account is the level of abuse a watch could take from planned activities that day: so I can restrict choice if I am going to be working or playing outdoors.

I like variety and rarely wear the same watch two days in a row.

Cheers