When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

mortifying situation

rocket754

So rocket girl and I went out to dinner tonight with some friends of ours at a swanky new restaurant. Now these are friends that we both know and hang out with occasionally. So of course I wanted a sport a watch with a little bit of bling for the night and that watch was the Asian movement perfect Yachty. While having dinner the husband did make a compliment about the my watch which was nice and he did mention " I need to get me one of those some day". So by this time my ego was inflated and I felt like my Rolex aversion that I always have had was unfounded.

Anyhow we moved to a nice bistro across the street for some dessert and espresso. while talking with each other I reached over to take a drink of my espresso and then I heard a clang like someone dropped a quarter or something -well the bezel of my ultra cool blinged out yachty had fell off :blowup:. Hoping no one had noticed I picked it up and put it back on and all the while the guy that had just gave me a compliment on my Rolex says "I think your Rolex fell apart" :blush: :blush: :blush: OMG!!! At that point I could not describe the amount of embarrassment I was feeling. I avoided the subject and just said "what in the world? I better take this back to get repaired" Then his wife added some insult to injury and said "where in the world did you buy that from?" double OMG!!!

I just wanted to earth to open up and for me to just fall in. :stretcher:

Lucky for us it happened around the time we where getting ready to pay and leave but needless to say I am not sure if I want to have dinner with those people again as I would die of embarrassment

Here is a pic of the of the culprit. Just so everyone knows. I am going to fix the bezel and you will see it up for sale for about a 100 bucks.

269169-3990.jpg

By rocket754, shot with EX-Z750. at 2007-06-22

So rocket girl and I went out to dinner tonight with some friends of ours at a swanky new restaurant. Now these are friends that we both know and hang out with occasionally. So of course I wanted a sport a watch with a little bit of bling for the night and that watch was the Asian movement perfect Yachty. While having dinner the husband did make a compliment about the my watch which was nice and he did mention " I need to get me one of those someday". So by this time my ego was inflated and I felt like my Rolex aversion that I always have had was unfounded.

Anyhow we moved to a nice bistro across the street for some desert and espresso. while talking with each other I reached over to take a drink of my espresso and then I heard a clang like someone dropped a quarter or something -well the bezel of my ultra cool blinged out yachty had fell off :blowup:. Hoping no one had noticed I picked it up and put it back on and all the while the guy that had just gave me a compliment on my Rolex says "I think your Rolex fell apart" :blush: :blush: :blush: OMG!!! At that point I could not describe the amount of embarrassment I was feeling. I avoided the subject and just said "what in the world? I better take this back to get repaired" Then his wife added some insult to injury and said "where in the world did you buy that from?" double OMG!!!

I just wanted to earth to open up and for me to just fall in. :stretcher:

Lucky for us it happened around the time we where getting ready to pay and leave but needless to say I am not sure if I want to have dinner with those people again as I would die of embarrassment

Well, you're a good sport to tell that story which is really pretty funny. And thanks. I'll be buying my 1st rep watch soon and I've 90 % decided to admit it's a fake if someone asks. So thanks for filling in the undecided 10 %.

Besides, most of these watches look so good that they won't believe you.

Norman

Asian mov't perfect Yachtie.....second hand....repaired....for $100 buxx........I need to revise my pricing structure or perhaps just describe my sale items ar second hand...... :brow:

Asian mov't perfect Yachtie.....second hand....repaired....for $100 buxx........I need to revise my pricing structure or perhaps just describe my sale items ar second hand...... :brow:

good point. Who am I trying to fool here except for myself??

It's only 1 week old and is supposed to be the "perfect" version. What a crock! I will sale it for what the market will bring which might not be much.

@M

That's just hilarious... :lol:

Sorry to laugh at your expense...

But I can't help myself...

Good news is...

You are still crawling into bed with one fine woman... ;)

TT

PS: Sorry Ubi & I missed ya last week...

Next time around my friend...

@M

That just hilarious... :lol:

Sorry to laugh at your expense...

But I can't help myself...

Good news is...

You are still crawling into bed with one fine woman... ;)

TT

PS: Sorry Ubi & I missed ya last week...

Next time around my friend...

:lol: :lol:

Thanks TT. I did want to share my experience cause I just couldn't stop laughing after we left dinner. I am sure that other couple was thinking I had a canal street special when we parted company.

Sorry I couldn't meet up with you guys when you came down here. I really wanted to meet up with you guys but just couldn't work it out.

I had almost the exact same experience with my yachty. Luckily nobody saw, but very dissappointing. Reccomend everyone check theres as a small move could bend that bezel and thats the end of it.

If your friends are judgemental, they aren't really friends then, are they?

-O

Well some may disagree with my opinion on the matter but, while I agree that if they were judgemental about reps in the first place (if there was no misrepresentation) and thought the OP was in idiot/poser/whatever for wearing them that they'd have "issues", the fact is that he was caught trying to pass it off as the real deal; particularly when a comment was made earlier about the watch.

I wouldn't think any less of my friend if I caught him/her trying to pass off a replica as a gen but I would kind of go "Hmmnn..." And yeah, you'd better believe that he'd never hear the end of it i.e. I'd tease the crap out of him. Well unless I knew it was something that he were really sensitive about cause I'm not a mean person. I'd also never try to embarrass him in front of anyone else regarding the matter.

@ the OP: Thanks for sharing your story. Was pretty funny from the perspective of an onlooker but I'd sure hate if that happened to me.

You mean you don't check your watches every morning before you head out? :lol: Actually I do. I have never had a rep fall apart but I did have the springbar on a metal bracelet gen pop out and didn't notice. I heard that awful clang as I was dashing across 57th street. I wish it had been a rep.

But now you know the secret of Rolex bracelet reps. Collect them but don't wear them. Those crappy bracelets fall apart all the time. Happens all the time on my MBW's and DW's. The gen bracelets aren't particularly great either. :D

Happens to the best of us, M. If it makes you feel better, I had a similar experience with a genuine Submariner I owned a few years back... The screw pin at the last link had worked it's way loose, and to my astonishment, the entire watch fell off my wrist landing on the table with a big 'clunk'. Now, how do I explain that? It's a gen! That shouldn't happen with a gen, right?

Well, most people think that when you pay the big money for a watch, that it'll be absolutely perfect, but fact of the matter is that even gens aren't always trouble/problem-free. In my case, it was an oversight when sizing the bracelet... But, I've seen/read/heard about enough QC problems with other brands (one haute brand that immediately comes to mind being Patek) that make me wonder what kind of attention to QC these high end brands are actually bestowing upon their product. For the prices they charge, I'm sure the last thing the customer/owner of a new Patek (or brand xyz) wants to do is send their new toy off to Switzerland for 4+ months- Longer than they have even had a chance to enjoy the watch.

Anyways... Sorry for the slight derail on topic... Just wanted to underscore that it's not always reps that have problems, and that something similar could happen to anyone- Even someone wearing a gen :)

Happens to the best of us, M. If it makes you feel better, I had a similar experience with a genuine Submariner I owned a few years back... The screw pin at the last link had worked it's way loose, and to my astonishment, the entire watch fell off my wrist landing on the table with a big 'clunk'. Now, how do I explain that? It's a gen! That shouldn't happen with a gen, right?

Well, most people think that when you pay the big money for a watch, that it'll be absolutely perfect, but fact of the matter is that even gens aren't always trouble/problem-free. In my case, it was an oversight when sizing the bracelet... But, I've seen/read/heard about enough QC problems with other brands (one haute brand that immediately comes to mind being Patek) that make me wonder what kind of attention to QC these high end brands are actually bestowing upon their product. For the prices they charge, I'm sure the last thing the customer/owner of a new Patek (or brand xyz) wants to do is send their new toy off to Switzerland for 4+ months- Longer than they have even had a chance to enjoy the watch.

Anyways... Sorry for the slight derail on topic... Just wanted to underscore that it's not always reps that have problems, and that something similar could happen to anyone- Even someone wearing a gen :)

:victory: I got to tell you it was pretty funny if you think about it. To my credit I wasn't trying to pass it off as gen and I didn't reply to his compliment but after it was all said and done what's a guy to do? You just can't help but laugh.

Rocket -- As others have said, you are not the only one this type of thing has happened to. I have had not 1, but 2 experiences similar to what Ubi described, where a watch literally fell off my wrist dropping into a sad heap on the table below. It was a good learning experience that taught me to regularly check the bracelets on all my watches.

& while im at it , i remove the band screws & apply a lil glue to the as well ..

Something like semi-permanent Loc Tite would be better in my opinion. Never know when you might want to make any adjustments or even sell the watch. Wouldn't be good if you ended up stripping the screws cause you glued them in there.

Edited by Jumbie