When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to drill the lugholes ?

namor

Do we have a DIY-Guide for this Topic in our fora ?

My search was not successful...

I have a cheap asian case to try, but with a standard HSS-Drill

it's impossible to come through - the steel is too hard.

I tried different speeds and pressures (never mind if I screw up this one)

but I just couldn't get deeper than a few nanometers...

:lol::lol::lol:

I have not found drilling the 316L case (TW Sub) as easy as it might sound. I am using SnapOn Cobalt bits (#55) and I have gone through a pair and did not completely finished the project. I ordered and additional four so it should be completed by the weekend. :thumbsupsmileyanim: The bracelet is complete and just waiting for the case.

One thing to keep in mind is that quite a bit of heat is generated around the lugs when drilling. I wraped the case in cold damp cloths and held it freehand. The cloths will keep the temps down. I stopped drilling and allowed everything to cool off very frequently so it does take time, at least for me.

If someone has additional tips such as the best rotary tool speed to use (I have tried several) or anything else they would like to share, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Jet

Edited by Jetsons

Guest avitt

I don't get it. I used a SnapOn bit to work on an MBW DRSD. I used a handheld drill at low speed, set the case in a vise and used 1 drop of 3-in-1 oil per lug. It cut through like butter. Could probably do another 3 or 4 cases with the same bit.

• 3 months later...
I don't get it. I used a SnapOn bit to work on an MBW DRSD. I used a handheld drill at low speed, set the case in a vise and used 1 drop of 3-in-1 oil per lug. It cut through like butter. Could probably do another 3 or 4 cases with the same bit.

may be MBW's SS is softer grade than other reps... all these alloys change their chracteristics quite a bit when a composition changes (for steel, it's carbon content). Same with the drill bits. same "cobalt carbide" bits can have different hardness depending on composition. just a thought..

Cobalt bit is the way to go. Drill speed is forgiving with these bits.

Drill speed and cooling lubricant is very important Believe it or not...if your drill speed speed is correct for the size bit/material you are using, you could actually use HSS bits all day long without problems. Drilling/boring in steel is and art in itself in terms of machining.

If you are drilling s/s without problems you are L U C K Y and keep repeating the same procedure!

I'm going to search out some specs for drilling and post.

Hope it will help :victory:

• 2 weeks later...
I need some suggestions for a drill to do this procedure as the dremel is too high speed and just breaks bits like there's no tomorrow.

Any suggestions on the best drill for the job? What you use?

I Have Use Dremel to 9.000 turns always cooling the point of Tivoly with ice and grease silicon.

For smaller speed you can use a Mini-Mini Drill...

I have also this PARKSIDE BJ 24v 2002 from 900 to 20.000 rpm for 20 Euro to Lidl Market :

106074-25055.jpg

106074-25056.jpg

106074-25057.jpg

is like this http://www.watchpolishing.com/largeviewgrinder.htm

Edited by MAHLER

I just finished doing a used SD I bought from a fellow from the forum. I used 1.25 mm cobalt drill bit and light oil for cutting fluid and my cordless driver drill. I did 4 holes in no time. A 1.3 mm bit might work better as the original holes were not perfectly straight and the 1.25 mm bit didn't leave much room for play. MSC supply has the bits for a couple of bucks a piece if you can't find them locally and shipped UPS ground I had them in 2 days. Good luck!

I've only got the one bit, but I've used it for many hundreds of holes, definitely need some sort of lubrication or you get a smell of burning, only 2 speeds tho'......fast and slow.....!

My steel used in my MBW 16610LV is attracted to a magnet which makes me believe it is 440 stainless as luckyyy advertised.

Well that's really smart way to F*ck up your watch. Put it up close to a magnet? I would take the back off as well, if I was you, and see if it's still waterproof by throwing it in the nearest pond :bangin: !!!!!!!

I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

I had a cheap Silix no cg sub. I bought 4 1.3mm gold drill bits (don't know what material they were). I used one to do one hole using a 16v cordless drill at low speed and no lubrication. Went though slowly. Used the same bit for the second hole. Again, no problem. The third hole was problematic. I went through the remaining drill bits, with the last one breaking off at the tip, just before penetration. My supplier had no 1.3mm bits left, so I bought 2 1.6mm cobalt bits from local hardware store. I burned through them faster than the last three. Didn't even make the third hole. Being thoroughly frustrated, I went back to the store and bought 4 1.6mm HSS bits and a bottle of 3in1 oil. I took the bits to work and put one in the drill press. I lubed the bit with 3in1 and presto, 10 min. later 2 holes drilled.

I am happy with the results,have 3 bits left, and will be using the drill press from now on.

I have not found drilling the 316L case (TW Sub) as easy as it might sound. I am using SnapOn Cobalt bits (#55) and I have gone through a pair and did not completely finished the project. I ordered and additional four so it should be completed by the weekend. :thumbsupsmileyanim: The bracelet is complete and just waiting for the case.

One thing to keep in mind is that quite a bit of heat is generated around the lugs when drilling. I wraped the case in cold damp cloths and held it freehand. The cloths will keep the temps down. I stopped drilling and allowed everything to cool off very frequently so it does take time, at least for me.

If someone has additional tips such as the best rotary tool speed to use (I have tried several) or anything else they would like to share, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Jet

You need cobalt bits, low RPM and cutting oil. If you heat and cool then re-heat and cool down again

you are "tempering" the steel. Every time you do the heat and cool cycle the steel will become more harder and harder. The best practice is to keep a constant low drill RPM, constant moderate pressure and the material you are drilling at the lowest temp possible without sudden changes in temp. This will save you lots of drill bits and frustration. Just my .02 cents.

vaccum

• 1 month later...
Is it necessary to remove the movement before drilling or can I just drill the watch as is? What should be removed before drilling? Thanks

Yes :) is necessary remove the movement because the vibrations damage it.

Remove first the caseback, then crown and stem, the screw with locks that stop the movement

on the case, finally the movement with dial and hands.

Put all in a confortable box closed and without dust.

Yes :) is necessary remove the movement because the vibrations damage it.

Remove first the caseback, then crown and stem, the screw with locks that stop the movement

on the case, finally the movement with dial and hands.

Put all in a confortable box closed and without dust.

Ok, I think I can handle removing the movement but don't have a crystal press so I hope I don't have to remove the crystal?