When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Big "Bang" or big "Bust"...

Well I have seen a few of the HBB's and I have to say, they really dropped the ball on quality of parts issues.

Although the case and strap etc may be correct and well made, the simple stuff that should be well made, is for the most part terrible.

Some defects I see on these models:

Poor quality, fit, finish, hands. Hands are such a simple item, you would think it's easy to get them right. The problems I see include:

- hand fitment to the tubes/posts, hour and minute hands too loose or too tight on the posts. Subdial hands, fitting too high on the subdial posts, or too low and touching the dial face.

- subdial hands breaking in two on removal, the actual hand comes off, but the hand tube stays attached to the post

- subdial hands fitted so close to the dial face, you can't get a remover under them...so your left to work them off by lifting them with the dial

- subdial hands attached to tight, the post breaks off the movement

- hands slippage, not only is the chrono seconds hand poorly made and prone to slippage, the subdial hands slip all the time

- paint/lume used on the hands in the strength of steel, meaning it's hard to remove to be able to apply super lume

- lettering "H" and "Hubelot Geneve" on the rotor is attached with glue which has the staying power of teflon, a slight blow of the dust remover and the letters can come off...

Other than this, it's a nice watch, just very frustrating to see the lowest cost, simplest parts, be of "Yugo" quality, when the case etc are of "Ferrari" quality...

RG

Yeap.. thanks a lot Rob.. Me too I am very glad I waited for the Big Bang because I just couldn't justify that much money when a FERRARI 1:1 super rep (008) is made as good as the genuine and costs 50% of the big bang.

Thx for that !

That's just making me more confident in my decision not to spend more than 300 dollars in a rep...

Now that is a wise decission :)

"the HBB is just such a GREAT watch and it is superb quality, thats why it is so expensive. you guys that mock about it being too expensive and way overpriced just shut up, this watch is just HIGH END quality!!!!111!ONE111!!elven!!!1!"

I guess some members here feel like real turds now ;)

Ziggy, have you had any experiences with reps of the BB Aspen? I've got one on order for my sister in law, and wondered what kind of quality levelI could expect? It wasn't expensive, so I'm not expecting perfection, but if it was 'nice', that would be good... Thansk in advance :)

Other than this, it's a nice watch, just very frustrating to see the lowest cost, simplest parts, be of "Yugo" quality, when the case etc are of "Ferrari" quality...

RG

what's wrong with Yugo?!!!

274287-2810.jpg

274287-2811.jpg

274287-2812.jpg

274287-2813.jpg

274287-2814.jpg

I visited their company 1month ago...they still produce it...

Irrespective of the price my bigger fear is that it does not bode well for future watches which use different complicated movements. The HBB does move the sub dials from the standard layout. I will be curious to see how well the new moonphase and big date movements perform. And now you can't just swap out the movement. The aesthetics are getting better and better but as we make the necessary migration away from stock movements there will inevitably be some disasters. It took several generations of standard 7750's to get it right and they still are often bone dry. It would seem that now more than ever we will have to show patience when watches come out.

Irrespective of the price my bigger fear is that it does not bode well for future watches which use different complicated movements. The HBB does move the sub dials from the standard layout. I will be curious to see how well the new moonphase and big date movements perform. And now you can't just swap out the movement. The aesthetics are getting better and better but as we make the necessary migration away from stock movements there will inevitably be some disasters. It took several generations of standard 7750's to get it right and they still are often bone dry. It would seem that now more than ever we will have to show patience when watches come out.

We have absolutely no control over how this will pan out :wounded1: . As long as people are willing to spend that kind of money on a replica it could go either way...more of same [censored]..or improved version 1, 2, 3 and then ending up in the ultimate version. I guess 12 months from now we will know where this HBB is heading.

@ TJ

Have not seen an Aspen model, so I can't comment.

I just can't figure out why they would make such crappy hands...and with the unique design of them, you can't buy replacement ones...

Very frustrating for me (or anyone who is working on the watch), try removing a tube that is 0.20mm in thickness, and not much longer (0.007 in for the non metric folks, or about the thickness of two pieces of paper), not only do you have to remove the tubes, then you have to get them reinstalled in the hand, and on the watch. Or in the case of hands that sit too high, your left broaching them to make them fit correctly...

RG

:blowup:

Someone was right saying that poeple if they are still people willing to pay su much money for a rep. They still continue to use this kind of method.

But it is also right to say that the it normally cost 13000 $ for a HBB Black Magic. Ceramic cost a lot of money and especially the work that has been done on it, such polishing,....

However it is really sad to see such poor movement part used...but this is chinese standart they don't ask for 100% quality (this is not the same way to see quality in China as we do in developped country such as America or European Union,... that's why they hire a lot of european in the big standart industy) we need to a 100% free of bug but it is not a standart industry and they won't change anything for us...

But, yes, one day, perhaps we will have a version 2 with more enhancements but I'm really not sure about it...

Well... sadly that settles the question of which HBB I was going to get... the answer is now None.

I'd been struggling with my 300-350usd limit on rep price... now I know I put that limit in place for a reason... for 500usd one can source a pretty decent used gen with some footwork.

If our dealers were to go back to the factory and up the quality of this rep quite a bit... I'd be tempted... but still that price is harsh.

Kinda like the PS3 I guess.. I'd love to pick one up... but the entry fee is way too much to be worth it.

@ TJ

Have not seen an Aspen model, so I can't comment.

I just can't figure out why they would make such crappy hands...and with the unique design of them, you can't buy replacement ones...

Very frustrating for me (or anyone who is working on the watch), try removing a tube that is 0.20mm in thickness, and not much longer (0.007 in for the non metric folks, or about the thickness of two pieces of paper), not only do you have to remove the tubes, then you have to get them reinstalled in the hand, and on the watch. Or in the case of hands that sit too high, your left broaching them to make them fit correctly...

RG

Does that mean that the Breitling Superocean Steelfish is sh#t too? They are made in the same factory, right?

Does that mean that the Breitling Superocean Steelfish is sh#t too? They are made in the same factory, right?

Not to my knowledge does the Breitling have this problem, as for which factory they or any are made in...it's anyone's guess...

I have had a few Steelfishe's in house, no problems noted.

RG