When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do "falsehoods" in TV shows/movies ever bother you?

Jumbie

Of course I know it's make believe and certain truths have to be overlooked in order for the show to progress. Usually I can live with it and say "it's just a movie" but every now and then I come across a scene where I just have to say "COME ON!!"

For example, I've never seen the show Prison Break although many of my friends rave over it. I was a bum this weekend and watched the entire first season. There's a lot of suspension of reality in this show but, again, I can live with it for the most part. But just now I saw a scene where a guy's hand gets cut off and he finds someone to sew it back on and then almost immediately after, he's using it like nothing was wrong.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hear you jumbie. this is the primary reason i stopped watching 24 (combined with the fact that at this point it's all the same stuff over and over again)...

btw, prison break is really addicting, isn't it :o i watched the first season on DVD in a matter of days

deltatahoe

For example, I've never seen the show Prison Break although many of my friends rave over it. I was a bum this weekend and watched the entire first season. There's a lot of suspension of reality in this show but, again, I can live with it for the most part. But just now I saw a scene where a guy's hand gets cut off and he finds someone to sew it back on and then almost immediately after, he's using it like nothing was wrong.

Usual American dross......full of totally unfu**ing believeable plots.....ridiculous to the extreme......for airheads....!

Usual American dross......full of totally unfu**ing believeable plots.....ridiculous to the extreme......for airheads....!

I agree! we need more British TV with solid believable plot lines... Like Doctor Who.

Actually, I really like the new Doctor Who stuff.

I think the thing that annnoys me most is the current martial arts films using the fly by wire stuff they do. As a martial artist myself, its painful to watch. I think it must be like marmite, you either love it or hate it!

... but you're ok with people surviving gunshots?

I have rules. If a film is internally consistent, with constant bullet-dealiness quotients, I'm ok with it.

btw, prison break is really addicting, isn't it :o i watched the first season on DVD in a matter of days

It's not bad. I watch it just like I watched that weird HBO series Carnivale cause I want to know what will happen next.

But as far as the show goes, I find myself annoyed with it a lot. They have to do a lot of plot twists and side plots going in order to keep such a simple premise alive because otherwise it would all be over in like 10 episodes. There's too much "artificial suspense" and close calls for my liking. Some is good but too much is well...too much.

Something like Heroes or Lost is preferrable to me.

I deal with a lot of thinking every day in my studies.

Sometimes I like to sit back and watch something totally frivolous just for pure entertainment value.

I like cartoons for example. :)

Can't stand "reality TV" though.

Edited by Jumbie

... but you're ok with people surviving gunshots?

I know more people that survive gunshots than ones that can fly ;)

But yes, films are there as entertainment, and I just stay clear of the flying martial arts films. I think bother is the wrong word to use in this scenario, they just don't interest me in the slightest.

But yes, films are there as entertainment, and I just stay clear of the flying martial arts films. I think bother is the wrong word to use in this scenario, they just don't interest me in the slightest.

The Ninjas on Strings genre is silly and holds little interest for me. However, occasional wirework (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) doesn't bother me. Still, the recent arrival of Tony Jaa has shook up what we're supposed to expect from a fightyfists film.

So yes, people can't fly, but Superhero films are ok? :D

Sometimes it does indeed bother me. Usually, I cannot stand a movie or TV show that is based upon a "technology". For example, the Philip K. Dickk book adaptation starring the idiot crown prince of Scientology, Minority Report. All that stupid handwaving in the air to operate those computers was ridiculous. Or the myriad of TV shows & movies that show some stupid PDA-type device with a map with the enemy 'blinking' on the screen.

ARRRRF!!!!

I love that cars in Hollywood movies explode every time they crash... like all cars had trunks full of dynamite. And in car chasing scenes tyres always make the noise of a burning rubber... even when they drive on a sandy beach.

My pet hate is "Can you enhance that security cam photo? See the reflection on his shirt button, clear it up, reverse it and ... " or "Listen to the recording, can you remove the voices? Now remove the ambient noise ... hear it? That's another voice. Make it louder, remove the distortion and ... "

Oddly, I forgive it in CSI when you realise it's just CSI-shorthand for three days of boring un-photogenic work.

Oh, and computers that bleep incessantly when you look at them, clocks that only tick when you're looking at them and other background noises that disappear when they don't serve the plot. And logins with HUGE RED LETTERS flashing access denied when you get the password (invariably something guessable) wrong.

In the old sci-fi movies all spaceships always had LOTS of flashing lights everywhere. I guess that was supposed to give the "high-tech" feel. :lol:

this thread turned into some good discussion. i'm like pugwash -- i don't mind an occasionally flying scene here and there (ie. crouching tiger)....like most others in this thread, i generally watch TV or movies to take a break from thinking and be entertained; i'm willing to accept some creative license if it makes for good TV. however, in my mind (generally speaking), quality character development is what makes for good TV.

@pug, i've never heard of tony jaa -- any movie suggestions?

deltatahoe

Standard network programming has sucked for decades and for about that long I have refused to watch the crap they put on the air. Now if you take the cable shows like Dexter, Sopranos, Deadwood, Rome, 6 Feet Under,Carnivale, and the like, now there is something worthwhile, stimulating and thoroughly enjoyable. It is only too bad that these superb programs do not seem to continue for very long, but they do seem to keep offering great shows. "John From Cincinatti" is just great.

The Ninjas on Strings genre is silly and holds little interest for me. However, occasional wirework (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) doesn't bother me. Still, the recent arrival of Tony Jaa has shook up what we're supposed to expect from a fightyfists film.

So yes, people can't fly, but Superhero films are ok? :D

I haven't seen that, only a couple of the jet li films, that's where I first saw it. Now if Superman was playing the lead role............ :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Television is absolute poison.

They control your emotions as well as a thrilling carnival ride does. Always selling, selling.

Really, studies show that your brainwaves are lower when watching TV than when sitting alone, quietly in a dark room.

No wonder why we like it so much !

I avoid it like the plague.

Oh, and cell phones ?

A scientist placed an egg between two cell phones and made them call each other.

The egg was hard boiled in 12 minutes by the microwaves.

Just a thought to cheer you guys up ! lol

Oh, and cell phones ?

A scientist placed an egg between two cell phones and made them call each other.

The egg was hard boiled in 12 minutes by the microwaves.

Put an egg between two phones? Can I call Bovine Scatology on this?

You do realise the waves don't go from phone to phone, right? :whistling:

(insert research here)

Yup, it's BS. Made up by some bloke for a joke. Don't be so gullible.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/cook-egg-mobile-phones.shtml

Put an egg between two phones? Can I call Bovine Scatology on this?

You do realise the waves don't go from phone to phone, right? :whistling:

(insert research here)

Yup, it's BS. Made up by some bloke for a joke. Don't be so gullible.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/cook-egg-mobile-phones.shtml

Another ubsurd urban legend that seemsto consume the sensibilities of the gullible. :rolleyes: