When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Which Member's Taste in Watches do you Admire?

Victoria

I've been having a hard time answering this one <_<

There is the obvious answer......my collection :whistling:

There are the "Size matters" collections - RobertK and Tanfangilo come to mind.

There are the "Quality over Quantity" collections - TTK, Ubi, Richard and Euno come to mind.

There are the "Franken" Collections - Ubi, Ollie, Freddie and Saabin come to mind.

There are the Panerai "Straps Make the watch" collections - V and Rolli come to mind.

There are the "Pictures to die for" collections - TTK, By-Tor, Bazz and Puggy come to mind.

but my personal favorite is

The "Who cares about the watch - Look at the girl wearing it" collections and SQL and Rocket certainly come to mind :1a:

The truth is, I like watches. All kinds of watches. Everyones collection generally has something I admire :g:

As By-Tor said and Ubi agreed - Too many to list them all :notworthy:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyways... If you're looking to build a project, budget for both money AND time! Set some acceptable price ranges/figures for what you feel comfortable spending per part, and keep an eye out for those items (buying what meets your criteria at that given time). Keep focus on your goal, and you'll find yourself at the end of it; maybe sooner, maybe later ;)

Good words, Ubi.

Interestingly, I have found that when you have a hobby, any hobby, money comes. I don't know how that is, but I've noticed that true with collectors from antiques, to Beanie Babies...

Maybe there's some rep hobby karma god out there? And if so, can we call him Apu?

Well ..... I thgough it over.

There are two collections that I like more than mine.

Trustys and Joshuas ...... they have a huge collection B)

Hardy-dee-har, AMK000!

And all of you male members fail in this very simple test. Not one person mentioned MY collection. Don't you know when a woman asks a question, you're supposed to compliment her, regardless of the truth?? Sheesh, what aren't you guys married?? :thumbdown:

Hehe.

P.S.: I just made a small contribution over at The Dark Side, and I feel awful. This is my "home" if you will, for reps, not there. If their PayPal is working, why can't ours be?? I want to support US, pfff.

Stephane must own all Rolex Submariner rep models already. :)

No BT, it was my initial idea but I sold one to Laz(arini)... :animal_rooster: so, it's not complete anymore.

I'll have to go for all vintage now :wounded1: but it's much more exiting :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I take the opportunity of this "admire"-"taste" thread to say something here.

Admire or sharing tastes is something very personal.

Share knowledge and welcome new enthousiast members is something else.

I would like to say something about 3 members here: By-Tor, Ubi, Pugwash.

These 3 gentlemen were very friendly members with me since MY DAY ONE on RWG and helped me become a true enthousiast.

Monsieur Euno, when he came back as a very active poster, was a fourth one.

Then came a serious number of other very very nice members.

Thank you all, including the non-mentionned ones. :group:

So, as some of you know, I have been a bit rude with newbies that would not suscribe a VIP membership to support RWG.

I must say that the example of the above mentionned gentlemen made me change my mind about this problem.

I now reply in a very friendly manner to all inquiries I have regarding "who has the best sub" PMs.

Cheers and long life RWG.

Stephane

There are the "Size matters" collections - RobertK and Tanfangilo come to mind.

There are the "Quality over Quantity" collections - TTK, Ubi, Richard and Euno come to mind.

There are the "Franken" Collections - Ubi, Ollie, Freddie and Saabin come to mind.

There are the Panerai "Straps Make the watch" collections - V and Rolli come to mind.

There are the "Pictures to die for" collections - TTK, By-Tor, Bazz and Puggy come to mind.

Comprehensive, as so far as I can see, a very true reply, dluddy. I was going to mention V and his straps in my intro post too.

Can we have a subcategory in this category of "admire-taste" thread? Which response do you admire most? :p

If I may interject briefly on some thoughts of my own as I continue to read along this thread...

To me... The variety of flavor and interests on this forum really makes for a truly great atmosphere. The diverse preferences across the board- From the individuals who wants a nice Ikepod or Alain Silberstein, to those who want a nice DJ, Sub or SMP and everything in between allows for discovery of something new that maybe someone hadn't considered before, or has allowed that person to reconsider a watch/brand/design that maybe they had different feelings or perspective on prior.

I know that certain aspects of my own personal preferences in watches and design have changed while my basic fundamentals remain the same. I must say that the broad range of interests present have not only influenced my own preferences, but have also allowed me to look at something new (and not just limited to watches) with a much more open mind.

Good stuff... And one of the reasons why I enjoy RWG so much. As my pal TwoTone might say... Where people gather, life happens.

:)

If I may interject briefly on some thoughts of my own as I continue to read along this thread...

Why do I get a vision of an awkward Jewish kid raising his hands with impeccable comic timing? Woody Allen is that you? ;)

Good stuff... And one of the reasons why I enjoy RWG so much. As my pal TwoTone might say... Where people gather, life happens.

That's my observation too, Ubi.

The one thing I have found since collecting rep watches is that I had VERY concrete opinions of what I liked, what my style was, and how much I wanted to spend.

Since that time, due to the influence (conscious or unconscious) of many members' photos and posts, I have changed my style, I no longer have such definitive impressions of watches (like the PAM), and my Xmas budget is shot to pieces. I may have to eat catfood for a year.

But that's the beauty of being here, and I wouldn't trade that for anything. Except maybe a nice Hublot Big Bang. :)

my taste changes every 6 mo.

i am about to come out with my new collection and i got rid of almost all my reps

it will be 2 (and a half) reps 3 gens and 2 original projects (666 and a pvd skeleton - as yet to be named)

and man i cant believe no one mentioned the 666 its a classic :)0no one admires it and the taste?

if i had to pick. probably flav has some of the more interesting pieces.

richard lawton seems to have a ton of quality if he is selling a watch i give it a real hard look. that would be the true test no? someone who makes you jump when they put a watch up.

I guess my vote(s) would go for Ubi, Euno, Omni and (of course) myself! :tu:

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

One thing's for sure. Few of us here DO NOT like their own collections.

I love my own newbie-starter collection, two VCs, a Patek, 5 PAM, 2 Guccis, 2 Cartier, 1 Omega PO, etc. etc. all of which will be revealed in various wrist-checks throughout the months, possibly years. ;)

i think for some members are their watches not so important. there are sometimes different other more important things.

fortunately !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

rolli

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

One thing's for sure. Few of us here DO NOT like their own collections.

I love my own newbie-starter collection, two VCs, a Patek, 5 PAM, 2 Guccis, 2 Cartier, 1 Omega PO, etc. etc. all of which will be revealed in various wrist-checks throughout the months, possibly years. ;)

Why do I get a vision of an awkward Jewish kid raising his hands with impeccable comic timing? Woody Allen is that you? ;)

That's my observation too, Ubi.

:) Not unless ol' Woody is Japanese!

:lol:

The past few years, we've seen a lot of change and innovation with the reps we have now- Mostly in the right direction, minus the QC problems that seem to remain static, if not declining at times. The diverse offerings amongst brands has been quite welcomed, though I do hope the manufacturers and factories continue to progress forward with other brands and makes. It's great to have a well rounded collection with a little bit of everything ^_^

I am with Ubi on this one. The rep industry has made great strides in terms of expanding their offerings. It used to be only Rolex and the occasional Omega. Then cam PAM and a few others. And now folks are readily buying gens and trying to achieve one to one. I am loving that you can pick up a new model like the Cousteau CD at the same time that the classic MBW vintage rolexes are widely available. It is a great time for rep collectors. Yes there are more pitfalls with increasing prices and a few real dogs out there. But if someone had told me that a maker would buy an HBB and dissect every part to recreate the aesthetics (QC issues and all) I would have said no way. :)

But if someone had told me that a maker would buy an HBB and dissect every part to recreate the aesthetics (QC issues and all) I would have said no way. :)

Is it me, Kruzer00, but are Hublots the next big thing? Are they going to overtake the Panerai in terms of "must-haveness" for many rep collectors?

You yourself intimated that Panerais were the jumping off point when the rep industry took on a new, improved character, and I wonder if the same will be true of Hublot. I only say this because in the three other forums I visited this weekend, all I heard were members hoping to buy an HBB, by selling this or that piece of theirs.

@Ubi, hehe. Remember, some of his children are half-South Korean, so maybe. ;)

I started collecting watches over 25 years ago......because they fascinate me. If it tells time...I like it.

As for who's do I admire......I admire anyone who shares the same passion I do. Be it Swatch or Patek, Timepieces are a matter of taste and I think everyone who shares their collection big or small gets my vote.........Of course, Ubi, Pug, Two-Tone and others get an extra vote :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Actually I am not convinced that the Big Bang popularity in the gens will continue. The tell tale signs are observing how quickly second hand watches decline in price versus buying new from the AD. It looks to me like they are already starting to trade at 60-70% of new price. That is consistent with more mature models. PAM's until recently were doing better than that although we are seeing the handwind and basic automatic gens coming down in price in the second hand market. What PAM is the master at and other folks, including Hublot with the HBB are following their lead, is making every model exclusive (i.e. in small numbers) with relatively little difference from one series to another.

On the rep side IMHO it is too early to tell whether the HBB becomes a stable item with growth potential or it just fades away. So far Hublot has only one blockbuster seller in the HBB. There are many variants. I do own one of the reps (1 of 2 in existence with a transplanted Swiss movement I might add - ;) ) but have no urge to pick up another. This was not true for me as regards most other brands. It is unique - but perhaps a little too unique. :lol:

It is unique - but perhaps a little too unique. :lol:

I agree with you.

I still can't see why I would get that one, today I mean.

Right now, I read to many "bad/average" comments.

I think we have to wait to see if hype transform to classical for the HBB.

If it grows on me, why not. But there is no chance it does grow on me if it's only hype...

Which is what it is since it's out there.

I saw my first Hublot back in the early 80ies in San Marino, Italy.

I fell in love with it but coudn't afford it.

Now, 25 years later, I would not buy it, not even a cheap rep of that simple Hublot.

I don't see it as being a "classic".

Cheers

Stephane

Is it me, Kruzer00, but are Hublots the next big thing? Are they going to overtake the Panerai in terms of "must-haveness" for many rep collectors?

You yourself intimated that Panerais were the jumping off point when the rep industry took on a new, improved character, and I wonder if the same will be true of Hublot. I only say this because in the three other forums I visited this weekend, all I heard were members hoping to buy an HBB, by selling this or that piece of theirs.

I honestly don't think that the HBB is the "next big thing".. but rather, more and more we as the consumers are coming to a realization that even in this world.. "quality" beats quantity

yes I know all the flaws of the HBB but it's still a quality piece.. and when people say they're selling their other reps to get an HBB/etc, it's simply them saying what I've been saying all along..

I'd rather spend my money on watches I know I would enjoy and be proud wearing.. than buying 6-7+ reps, 1 or 2 of which get wrist-time.. the truth of the matter is the HBB isn't much more expensive than some of the AP's or the Breitling's or PAM's out there.. so people start seeing it.. looking at the 6-7 reps they have they don't wear and wonder what's the point of having so many that doesn't even get worn :X then they start thinking of how much they've spent on these pieces and then the regret comes of not goin for that 1 piece they'd really like

:bicycle: