When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Movement Review - Davidsen Chinese 6497-1 Movement

Davidsen Chinese CN 6497-1 movement review and comments

I have been, and continue to be, a big supporter of Davidsen, because he brings stuff to us that no one else has - Parts and more Parts… It’s almost impossible to source parts, and Davidsen has been a welcome addition to this place. I personally have bought hands and a dial from him, and am very pleased with the quality, and the ease of the transaction.

Ok, enough of the background, lets get to the reason for this post.

A few weeks ago, Davidsen asked me if I was willing to do a review of a movement he has available to him, namely a new Chinese (Asian) copy of the handwind 6497-1 movement. This movement is the mainstay of the PAM handwind models, and is very popular. There have been numerous versions and types produced lately, and they keep getting better and better.

This one is a new one, and as for the details of availability and price, you will have to ask Davidsen, I am only doing the review, I don’t have these for sale…

Specifications:

- Chinese copy of a ETA 6497-1

- Beat 18,000 BPH

- Power reserve (Guesstimate) 46 Hours

- Longer Cannon and Hour wheels (no recessed pin problems)

- Direct replacement of ETA or other 6497-1 movements

Here is a general view of the movement as delivered, dial side,

39055-38525.jpg

And back side.

39055-38526.jpg

Very nice finish overall, and my initial impressions are good. Lets take some readings and see what we have…installed on the watch analyzer…

39055-38527.jpg

Here is the readout on the timer…

Note, no movements are delivered correctly oiled, or adjusted correctly, including most ETA models. The only models I have seen that are good as delivered are the ETA 7753 or 7750 movements, a $300+ movement. So please consider these facts before drawing any negative comments on this particular movement. For more reading on this, see my signature and the various movement review posts in my sub-forum.

Here is the printout in various positions.

39055-38528.jpg

This is one of the best readings I have had on a movement as delivered in a long time, the exceptions being the ETA 7753 or 7750 models. But for a 6497 movement, these readings are excellent.

As delivered it’s running +5 seconds per day, consider that most are way off in beat, and lucky to be within +- 20 seconds per day…

39055-38529.jpg

But that’s only part of the story, more important is the beat, on 99% of watches, this is out and needs to be adjusted, see here how good it is (at the end of the post I will show what a bad beat looks like, bear with me…)

Dial Up, Dial Down

39055-38530.jpg

And Crown Right and Crown Up, note how the readings are identical in all positions, a really good sign of quality of the parts and fit and finish…

39055-38531.jpg

Compare these readings to when I am done the servicing…

First thing I did was to remove the hour and cannon pin, and see how long they are. Well surprise, the first time ever, that the parts are the correct longer ones, which corrects the cannon pin recessed issue (for details on this, and other movement reviews, plse click on my signature and find the previous articles on these topics).

Cannon and hour wheels, at correct lengths of 3,15mm and 2,15mm…

39055-38532.jpg

39055-38533.jpg

Lets start taking things apart, and see what is in store for us…

Bridge finish is really nice,

39055-38534.jpg

39055-38535.jpg

39055-38536.jpg

39055-38537.jpg

How does the oiling look as we take it apart, here are some pics,

No oil on this one, but that is normal…

39055-38538.jpg

The rest were oiled, so that is quite good…

39055-38539.jpg

WOW, even more surprising, is the fact that both balance jewels were oiled, this is the biggest problem on most watches that are not serviced…these are oiled well…most movements are completely dry…

39055-38540.jpg

Screws are really blued, not painted, a nice touch,

39055-38541.jpg

Lets see some detailed shots of the various parts and pieces, if you want to compare these to other 6497 models, see my previous posts…

39055-38542.jpg

39055-38543.jpg

39055-38544.jpg

39055-38545.jpg

39055-38546.jpg

39055-38547.jpg

39055-38548.jpg

39055-38549.jpg

39055-38550.jpg

Well more surprises, this can be a big problem on many models, the concentricity of the balance hair spring, note the even spacing all around, a sign of quality and attention to detail…

39055-38551.jpg

All done taking it apart, now lets give it a bath, I put the whole works into the Ultrasonic machine,

39055-38552.jpg

39055-38553.jpg

So it’s back together, and lets give it a wind, and put it on the analyzer again, and make the required adjustments and see what we come up with.

Here are the readings in the various positions, this is without adjusting anything, just fresh oil and cleaned up…

39055-38554.jpg

Now remember the beat comment, here is what I am talking about. Here I move the stud arm on the balance wheel, to show you the beat and how it looks when it’s out of adjustment, after moving it out of adjustment, I put it back in beat and adjust the timing…

39055-38555.jpg

Here is a view of a dial and hands installed on the movement, note NO recessed PIN problems…, what a big advantage and benefit to everyone (and that comment from the only one who can source and provide the longer cannon and hour wheel parts…tells you were my loyalties are, and my commitment to doing the “right” thing on the forum…).

39055-38556.jpg

I am very pleased with this model, it’s well made, but you can judge that for yourself, it’s got many advantages over the other models:

1. Price (from what I am told)

2. Nice bridges and finish on them

3. Well made and good quality parts throughout

4. Longer Cannon pin and Hour wheel Yea!

5. It’s AVAILABLE and easy to get, what a great idea…

6. Analyzer does not lie, it’s a good running watch, and had good performance in all the positions.

Should it be serviced as delivered? That has been debated for ages, and you know my view… use your own good judgment and do what is right for you.

I want to thank Davidsen for putting his trust in me and providing me with this movement at his cost, for the benefit of providing information to everyone here on it’s quality, and overall performance. There is something to be said for someone willing to not just sell parts, but to want an unbiased review and comments before offering this up for sale.

We need more of this technical input so members can make informed decisions and know the details of what is inside their watches. I wish I had more time to post more reviews, but I simply don’t have that luxury lately…

Please keep in mind, that this is only my opinion and nothing else, and that there are variances in all movements - my review is of one sample only, I can’t predict what the rest of them are like. But based on my experience, the only variables in all movements are: oiling or lack thereof (which is bad on all watches, except the ETA 7753’s or ETA 7750’s), and the cleanliness of the movement, and the beat and rate adjustments.

Overall I think this is an excellent movement, and given that it’s got all the right stuff, is a welcome addition for upgrades…

Before you ask if the 18,000 BPH is a concern vs the –2 model with 21,600 BPH, my only comment is this:

- the difference between a 18,000 and 21,600 beat model (apart from the slightly smaller balance wheel on the 21,600 model) is a measly 1/6 of a tick per second, this model ticks 5 times per second, the –2 ticks at 6 times per second. If you can see the difference of 1/6th of a second, displayed on a ¼ inch running seconds hand, then I say that you need to rethink the whole reason you get these watches, were really splitting hairs now… it’s not an issue or concern in my opinion.

I hope you enjoyed the info and pics, till next time…

Thanks for reading.

RG

Rob,

I'm glad you made it over here. Three months ago I was worried that you were going to disappear.

This place wouldn't be the same without you.

Great review. I may have to go back and buy a new 111h and throw one of those movements in, or should I say have you throw one in.

• 2 weeks later...