When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep collections leads to gens, sooner or later

Pix

great watch & pics; i'm totally intrigued by those flying indexes :o

i couldn't agree more with the title of your post....rep collections absolutely lead to gen purchases; the great thing is, rep collections lead to much more informed/refined gen purchases.

my first gen watch purchase was a sinn u2; there is no way on earth i would have chosen (or even known about) that watch unless i started collecting reps. given i didn't have an appreciation for watch movements before finding RWG, i probably would have bought a quartz breitling chrono of sorts (or something similar) :yuk:

the real trouble is going to be holding off till next year to buy my next genuine watch (i'd like to keep it to one per year) :bounce:

deltatahoe

:D

I wonder if the bottom of these indexes are not polished, making them reflect the lume of the main hands, which glowe the most (much more than the indexes themselves).

Theses are very close to the crystal, making the dial perfectly readable : no AR required, all's clear, crisp and no reflection.

Thx both :D

For the lume, I don't know, the Tissot has not spent the night with me yet. Tonight's the prima nocte... :lol:

But for sure, it glowes very strongly the first minutes. There's a black version too, I was a bit afraid of light reflection, so I took the white. No AR...That's cheap ! ;)

... it makes you wonder why we buy reps when for the same price you get a beauty like this.

Wear it well. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The Tissot Seastar 100M is on my list.

About a month ago I picked up a Tissot Seastar 1000, absolutely love it with the silver dial.

Pix, that color combo is a great choice. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Funny. My story was the opposite. iVe had quite a few gens. submariner lv, gold daytona and most recently an ikepod. I just decided, that they werent good enough.

Atm im cosidering a audemars royal oak jumbo 15300, but when i look at my wrist and there i the beautiful mbw rep (wich hasnt left my wrist since i got it), i just cant justify buying the real thing. thst watch really seems to have been buildt for me. perfect fit, perfect size.

most of my friends are into the gen collecting. actually my lawyer has the platinum big pilot, and wears it all the time. another friend of mine has the franck muller crazy hours in platinum aswell. They are stil all amazed how good these reps are. I allways tell them straight away, but otherwise they wouldnt have suspected it.

weird how things work B)

Well, I have come to think one can have good (enough) watches, gens or reps, between 200 and 400 dollars... Sometimes used, sometimes outlets, sometimes from *bay... That's my credo, and that's why I will never spend more in a watch... Of course, when one enters the gold or platine field, diamonds or specific movements, it's an other story.

Personally, better have three 250 dollars watches than, err... *cough* ... a HBB ? (sorry owners, I love this watch too) :pray:

the reps to gens comment is on the money... get the 'gold rolex' and submariner bug out of your system with reps, then as your tastes become more refined you can zero in on the gens that really are unusual, collectible and noteworthy... my interest has become unusual subs, one of which (a gen Sector DT1000 in Ti) i picked up this past spring after a couple years of looking...

As for the Tissot pictured above...

JUST NOTICED THIS -- What is the "5" preceding "FRI" in the day/date window... I looked at several pics on other sites and don't see that???

the pics are excellent and I really like the clean lines of the watch. Only thing i would change is the bracelet which is enough of a showstopper to not need the polished inter-links -- i think it would convey an even stronger classier look in entirely brushed SS. The polished parts are obviously to create some contrast, but just isn't necessary with such a unique design.

Thanks & enjoy!

289795-6090.jpg

Edited by Watchwatcher

@WW

The red figure is reminding the day of the week : 5 = Friday... As easy and useless as that :)

You can choose an other layout and just have the day names, as usual.

I chose this layout for...colour reasons against the dial ^_^

Here's St