When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Swan Neck

thecrow

Just wondering what the point is for purchasing a PAM with a swan neck (aren't all swan necks just for looks on the reps?). I know it's more accurate with the swan neck but since most PAMs have flaws on the back anyway, why spend the extra money on the swan neck.

I've was about to purchase the PAM 217 Destro with swan neck but then I realized the engraving "officine panerai" on the back of the movement was upside down. So now Im thinking of saving my money and getting one without the swan neck and/or possibly puchasing the Asian one.

Anyway, to make a long story short, why did you or will u purchase a PAM with the swan neck.

I doubt I'll go for the swan's neck again. I don't see the point. Of course this is just personal opinion, but the origins were purely functional, so why replicate it if it doesn't do anything? One could say the same thing about the words "panerai" on the dial but I don't really need them either at this point.

i would always buy the cheap asian rather than the swiss with swan neck...

i am not looking for the perfection...it is enough that is a good quality as the asians are...and remember a rep will always be a rep...and i wear it like that and never ever try to make it look like a gen!

i never buy whit swan neck people that now that shoud be their will also see other flaws so whats the point :g:

Agree.. when you can have good quality CN movements at the fraction of the costs of the ETA what's the point to spend a lot?

I prefer 2 watches with CN movement than 1 with the Swan neck. :whistling:

i think different

i like swan´s neck movements... looks much better and works fine

asia unitas is not good movement... you will see... they will not live much time

i have many problems with cn unitas movements

BAD CN UNITAS MOVEMENTS :angry:

Doesn't Andrew have a custom made 177H with working swan neck ? Please let me know about this as I am not 100% sure on this one.

:huh:

swan neck looks pretty. girls with boob jobs look pretty (sometimes?).

you'd rather get HOT girl with boob job or fugly chick with flat [censored]?

besides... without swan neck, you get asian, you want asian? or you want swiss? thats the question! i prefer blondes with boob jobs over small chicks with small feeet and flat [censored]

:lol:

i think different

i like swan´s neck movements... looks much better and works fine

So do the CN movements, ETA is not the be all to end all...

I have never had any problems with these 6497 Asian movements, and my latest review shows that they are really good...

asia unitas is not good movement... you will see... they will not live much time

i have many problems with cn unitas movements

BAD CN UNITAS MOVEMENTS :angry:

I disagree, I have serviced dozens of these movements and can't support comments like this.

Please, can you give us examples to back up your comments, or are these only opinions and not based on any facts or real data...

My comments are based on real life experience and seeing many of these in person and examining them first hand... I see no reason that these movements should not last a lifetime.

My watch-analyzer does not lie, these models work great and are very well made, as good as any ETA.

RG

Agree.. when you can have good quality CN movements at the fraction of the costs of the ETA what's the point to spend a lot?

I prefer 2 watches with CN movement than 1 with the Swan neck. :whistling:

Yupp or 1 asian and one good strap :g:

So you like your women to have big feet?

Cos then they'll have a bigger .... :o

just kidding... :lol:

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...

I prefer the plain Swiss ETA 6497-1 movements with "wrong" bridges and no swan's neck regulator.

Given The Zigmeister's reviews of the Chinese 6497 movement I would certainly consider them if I were just starting to build my collection now. They seem like very good movements, beat faster (21,6000 bph vs. 18,000 pbh) and look almost identical to the Panerai movements. Many people wouldn't even notice that the SNR isn't there (and many people also incorrectly think swan's neck is the shape of the bridge pieces.)

The modified Swiss ETA 6497 w/cosmetic SNR is actually my least favorite of the three. I really don't care that much what the back of the watch looks like, and even that movement isn't going to fool a Paneristi (although it is the closest of the three) And the SNR is just there for looks and gets in the way of regulating the watch. You end up with slightly less travel for the regulation arm. You can still regulate the watch, but it may be a bit more difficult to do so.

I've been collecting these watches for over a year. At that time we only had the one movement, although there were plenty of versions of the foil engraving applied to it. I'm happy that I have a good movement in the watches and that it should last and be servicable. I don't need to spend more money to get a version that still isn't going to fool anyone, nor would I sell the watches to replace them with the less expensive Chinese versions.

Thanks a lot for all the responses.

I guess many of you agree with me that it's not worth the extra $$$ for the swan neck. I personally like the swan neck since it makes it more accurate but considering how much more expensive it is I think for now I am going to stick with one without it.

Hopefully they will fix some of the flaws that are out there now which may make it worth purchasing the swan neck in the future, but until then, I think i will hold off.

Thanks guys!!