When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The answer to an ETA replacement?

ajoesmith

I have been considering for a while about buying the Breitling SOSF with ETA movement, however i have been reading that the Asian movement version is basically the same except for the movement and lack of strong AR.

Some people have said that 'if the Asian movement breaks what are you going to do as there are no spares'.

Well im going to buy the Asian version, Why? becasue i recently bought the Asian Chopard GT and its unbelievably fantastic for $75.

AND because to service an ETA, if it needs it, will be probably $80-$100 depending on who does it.

If i buy the Asian one and its fails then i can completely replace the movement, cheaply (about $10) and easily (I can do it myself). Its a DG2813 which can be bought at Cousins UK or Ofrei easily and im sure other places as well.

http://www.cousinsuk.com/default.aspx?disp...roductid=462411

http://www.ofrei.com/page1119.html (4th one from the top)

293283-3894.jpg

I mean really who cares what movement is in the watch as long as if functions as it should and lasts a relatively long time (especially on closed case back models).

If the Asian movement reps are getting to the same quality as the ETA movement reps but more than half the price, i know what im buying.

Do you think we are all too hung up on 'ETA' movements? or is it just because, at the minute, they are available and spares are easy to come by?

Totally agree - if you can easily swap movements over then parts and so on become a non-issue. (Especially at half price)

I do like the AR though.... :g:

Funny thing about the SFSO is I went into AD and just wasn't very keen on the gen. I think it was the lighting in there (just made it look very shiny), but it's why I have held off on this one so far.

How the price of this really top quality Asian rep is just amazing... Bring us more like these ! :D

And one thing... If any dealer ever read this : how about also selling spare movements, the same way "servicing" or "waterproofing" or, more recently shown "QC!!" ?

These movements are surely very inexpensive, and even with a large margin from the dealer, they might avoid many headaches (just swap the movement once dead). I'm sure that an Asian 21J at 40 USD and a 7750 under 100 USD would meet many potential buyers requirements.

How the price of this really top quality Asian rep is just amazing... Bring us more like these ! :D

And one thing... If any dealer ever read this : how about also selling spare movements, the same way "servicing" or "waterproofing" or, more recently shown "QC!!" ?

These movements are surely very inexpensive, and even with a large margin from the dealer, they might avoid many headaches (just swap the movement once dead). I'm sure that an Asian 21J at 40 USD and a 7750 under 100 USD would meet many potential buyers requirements.

Pix my friend the movement is already available from Ofrei and Cousins UK for a mere $10!! Stock up now for your SOSF for life!! Forget the servicing!!!

EDIT: Even better put in a Miyota 8215, easy swap as the hand sizes are the same - Its bullet proof!

Pix my friend the movement is already available from Ofrei and Cousins UK for a mere $10!! Stock up now for your SOSF for life!! Forget the servicing!!!

EDIT: Even better put in a Miyota 8215, easy swap as the hand sizes are the same - Its bullet proof!

See, I was ready to pay much more ! :huh:

I'm sure AR is still a plus (even if it brings minor? disadvantages of scratches/fingerprints), but we may certainly agree that it's less necessary on a white dial... And true, if you replace (once dead) the movement with its Miyota counterpart, it's probably a watch that will last for years and which one will wear without any fear that the screws or bezel fall down...

I don't say I would not buy an ETA based SFSO (this watch is really awesome), just I can't afford it, or better said I can afford 2 good reps for the price, which is an option I personally prefer. I'm sure the blue dial with AR rocks ! :D

This is a very relevant issue for me, as I'm close to purchasing the ETA version *exclusively* for the AR on the crystal. I am one who believes that it makes a huge difference- but it's not worth three times the price or two hundred dollars more.

I would gladly get it done aftermarket, but chieftang has said that the AR service is likely to be no longer available...if not temporarily, then forever.

By the way, this is what I perceive to be the answer to the super-rep price gouging. They're capitalizing on the AR as much as the ETA, in my opinion- as far as being able to 'sell' the higher priced model over the cheaper one.

I think that, as a community, the best thing we could do to honour the spirit of what this collection of buyers is supposed to repesent, would be to organize a way to maximize the value of rep purchases by offering ways to circumvent the price-gouging. How would we do it?

Well, if we could systematize a way of doing the aftermarket AR...taking what chieftang organized in principle, and applying the full support of the community to make it an option for anyone who is looking for more value-oriented solutions.

Think:

If we could do full crystal removal and AR coating, we could have functionally equivalent watches to the ETA SFSO's that are $350 shipped for $150. I bet you that the AR on the aftermarket watches would be superior in quality.

Problem is it would have to be easy. Something like having Silix ship the watches directly to the liason for crystal removal and AR, then forwarded to their buyer.

I got the Asian from Ruby. They're using the same pix for the Eta and the Asian.

I can't say, but my own watch is gorgeous with a high quality of finish.

There is zero AR on the Asian, but the crystal itself is slightly domed and clean and sharp to look at.

I can't say if it's saphire. Maybe yes, maybe no. I don't care.

The watch is not that big. It's heavy and tall but the crystal is about the size of a Sub.

Point is ( esp. with the white dial which, really, shows off the dial ) Ar is not necessary for such a small crystal.

This is not the Navitimer which looks ridiculous w/o AR.

Save your money.

Get the Asian.

Asian SFSO - mineral glass, no A/R whatsoever...honestly not worth the money unless you are ready to settle for SFSO rep's poor cousin...or you're after spare parts like case and bracelet.

I have to agree with Pug on this one, strong duble sided A/R is what makes the Braitling watches stand out from the "crowd", and SFSO being one of their shiniest examples.

If you end up buying Asian SFSO anyway, send the crystal to Chieftang for double sided A/R.

cheers,

babola

Edited by babola

If you end up buying Asian SFSO anyway, send the crystal to Chieftang for double sided A/R.

cheers,

babola

Not sure if your comment is sarcastic or not, but i thought mineral saphire could not be sent out for double AR coating, something about the heat it's exposed to, although i could be wrong.

Not sure if your comment is sarcastic or not, but i thought mineral saphire could not be sent out for double AR coating, something about the heat it's exposed to, although i could be wrong.

No sarcasm intended, whatsoever.

Mineral glass can be A/R coated without problems.

babola

No sarcasm intended, whatsoever.

Mineral glass can be A/R coated without problems.

babola

I'm tempted to answer my next question...But i am nothing more than a humble watch noob.

So here goes...

You say Mineral glass can be AR coated..But I imagine single sided only correct?