When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Houston, we have a problem.....

predfan2001

Ok, mine just came in today. I couldn't wait to open the package. When I did...WOW! It may not be completely accurate but it is beautiful. The time set and the crown screwed in just as they should. The markers are vintage looking, but not too yellow (what a change).

I also ordered a riveted band to replace the modern style oyster that comes on this watch. When I got home, I removed the band and the first spring bar was bent up bad. I thought..whooopps. I carefully removed the second one and it was the same way. Then I started to install the riveted band and found out why the original spring bars were bent at a 45 degree angle on the ends. The lug holes are in way to far in the case. I even tried 3 more bands and end links and still nothing fit. I even tried the original "bent" springbars that came with the watch but the ends came out when I tried to reinstall them. I just installed a NATO (G-10) for now.

Don't get me wrong, I love this watch....just FYI. Think before you remove your band on one of these. Here's some pics:

294085-3393.jpg

294085-3394.jpg

294085-3395.jpg

I found the same problem on a Datejust (not Silix) when I tried to install a new bracelet. It is difficult to imagine how this happens. Just verifies the lack of QC in this "cottage" industry.

I was able to resolve the problem by opening up the space inside the bracelet ends for the spring bars. This can be done with a broach or you could accomplish it by drilling it. I wasn't able to get it perfect but with much less strain on the pins. I certainly would not recommend attempting to alter the case holes.

Ouch, that sucks, the rivetted band would look so great, but I've always thought mating an after-purchase band to the watch case is a total crapshoot, things m just may not line up well.

Well, the watch looks just GREAT. Sorry about the springbars etc.

I think Jay is doing his best on this- it's just a tiny part of the rep market and I'm just working up my order for him now. Hopefully my old jubilee style bracelet will work but, as you say, it's just a crapshoot. But gambling is part of the fun!

Dang it! I've been trying to get a band on it all afternoon. It just will not work. It doesn't really look like enough room to drill new lug holes. Does anybody know if this is a common problem or just mine. I guess they bent the spring bars with a screwdriver when installing the band. I noticed that one side of the original spring bars is completely flat like it was pryed on really hard. :angry:

I hate to say it, but that is a common problem and you really only have two choices if you want to fit a bracelet -- enlarge the inside diameter of the hoops inside the end links so there is enough free play and room for the springbar to fit, or enlarge the holes in the lugs.

Well, there may be 1 more option -- scout around for another pair of end links that are shorter or shaped so that the springbars fit further in toward the case. You may need to locate several pairs of end links to find a pair that fits.

take a small file and remove some material from where the endlink meets the case. Try about 1mm and go from there. This will suck the whole endlink closer to the case and your springbars will be 1mm closer to the holes. worked for me. Just be careful to keep the edge even or you will have a messy gap between the endlink and case.

PS this is comon on a lot or replicas expecially newer ones with tighter and solid endlinks. They need that tension to keep the end link solidly in place?. I took the band off my Rolex day date rep and it toook me about an hour to get it back on.

LOnnie

Same problem with the two MBW 16610 I had. It took me hours to finally bend correctly new spring bars to install a noob bracelet.
Edited by L-dizzle

take a small file and remove some material from where the endlink meets the case. Try about 1mm and go from there. This will suck the whole endlink closer to the case and your springbars will be 1mm closer to the holes. worked for me. Just be careful to keep the edge even or you will have a messy gap between the endlink and case.

PS this is comon on a lot or replicas expecially newer ones with tighter and solid endlinks. They need that tension to keep the end link solidly in place?. I took the band off my Rolex day date rep and it toook me about an hour to get it back on.

LOnnie

Clever guy :D Next time I'll try it if bending is not an option.

My new Bond sub with the Explorer dial had the exact same problem. It came with the modern sub bracelet with the detachable end links. I removed it and both springbars were bent at each end. I did exactly what predfan did- I put a Nato strap on it. The other big flaw w/ the Explorer dial is that it does say 200m = 550ft. Why would they print a dial like that? Anyway, I guess it's like everyone says, it's a good place to start modding from.

Well I got mine on Friday and I'm now trying to size the bracelet and all except one of the link screws is frozen in the band.

Nice job jamming those screws into the band.

I'm hoping Liquid Wrench works.

Update: BAH! I got 3 screws to budge and moved the fine tuning inside the clasp to the last hole, the bracelet is still a bit big & the clasp is not centered, so.....

Shopping Time!

I've never bought NATO straps before, can anyone recommend a good source please?

I'd like to get the classic Bond black/gray and then mebbe something a bit more exuberant, such as regimental stripes?

Thanks much.

Rek,

Try www.westcoastime.com

Update: BAH! I got 3 screws to budge and moved the fine tuning inside the clasp to the last hole, the bracelet is still a bit big & the clasp is not centered, so.....

Shopping Time!

I've never bought NATO straps before, can anyone recommend a good source please?

I'd like to get the classic Bond black/gray and then mebbe something a bit more exuberant, such as regimental stripes?

Thanks much.

I had a sub with the same issue...I worked on it for an hour trying to get the bracelet back on.

I ended up having a smaller diameter spring bar lying around and the bracelet went right on.

I hope that makes sense.

Predfan....I'd love to see a picture of the crystal height....maybe a side view????

Edited by FROGMAN

I had a sub with the same issue...I worked on it for an hour trying to get the bracelet back on.

I ended up having a smaller diameter spring bar lying around and the bracelet went right on.

I hope that makes sense.

Predfan....I'd love to see a picture of the crystal height....maybe a side view????

Ask and ye shall receive:

296424-1501.jpg