When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Great Panerai Strap Caper

Victoria

A lady has a right to be late, but I still apologise for not getting my series off on its designated debut day. But here we are! Ready to review, compare/contrast, and evaluate straps based on many criteria just for you.

First, a word about this series' purpose.

I am not putting myself out as a fashion expert, or a personal shopper, or even someone intimately knowledgeable about the world of leather and strapmaking. Clearly, that expertise belongs to others, many of whose livelihoods are represented in this forum. The inestimable member from Greece, V, is one such person and to him and others belong the technical questions which I am unable to furnish.

Let us not forget that as a newbie, I have very little to offer the more learned members of these forums as yet, so this is my small contribution to our chosen hobby.

But perhaps because I am a woman, and I like fashion, I am often asked for advice from the male members of these forums for this or that strap colour combination.

This isn't a frivolous, or metrosexual concern, as many men would have it.

Oftentimes, their professions demand a certain "look" to go with their jobs' atmospheres; the more sober the environment, the more people feel unwilling to buy a pricey strap -- and most of these straps are in the hundred dollar level and above.

Even if your job or general appearance is informal, this expense is still considerable.

This is the purpose of this series, which I've named in my tongue-in-cheek, happy way, The Great Panerai Strap Caper:

To give you a preview of what these straps may look like, both in ambient and in natural light, whenever possible. Because the dog days of summer are upon us, and soon winter will arrive in the Northern hemisphere, I've chosen transitional colours to start us off.

And here I'd like to thank my father for completely unknowingly, providing me with the suits and in one case, a cashmere overcoat by that most conservative of London department stores, Aquascutum, to highlight these premiere straps.

Let's start before he cottons on to my wardrobe raid! ;)

STRAP NUMBER 1

- "Toscana Fiero Vintage with sewn in Toscana "Natural" Pre-V Buckle"

303117-879.jpg

LEATHER MAKERS: Cuoierie Meccaniche Brelli di Ciampi

MERCHANTS: Timeconnection.biz

COST: U$169.00

BANG FOR BUCK VALUE: Excellent

RESALE VALUE: $80-$120 at 85-95% condition

SALE AVAILABILITY: Haven't found it yet on Panerai accessory or rep watch forums. Rarely part of "Daily Specials" on websites

DESCRIPTION: Never was a strap better named than the "Fiero". It's a fiery blend of tans, nutmegs, browns, and coppers which catch the light, and change colours before your very eyes. This is a versatile strap, which can be worn both for informal and sport-chic occasions, and yet carries over well for nighttime events.

SIZE RANGE: 115/75 in 24/24 to 125/80 in 26/24

BUCKLE: Included. Sewn-in Brushed buckle with "Toscana" on watch side

DRESS COLOURS: Would go perfectly with any yellows, whites, beiges, denims. Not recommended for deeper colours such as reds, blues, or greens. Blacks and greys may go either way, making sure to add whites into the mix.

BEST PANERAI WATCH MATCH: PAM 127, PAM 111, PAM 113

PHOTO COMPARISON #1 (CAMEL/TAN OVERCOAT)

303117-880.jpg

PHOTO COMPARISON #2 (BLACK SUIT)

303117-881.jpg

PHOTO COMPARISON #3 (GREY SUIT)

303117-882.jpg

STRAP NUMBER 2

- "Vintage Bordeau"

303117-883.jpg

LEATHER MAKERS: Simona Straps

MERCHANTS: Simonastraps.com

COST: 120 €

BANG FOR BUCK VALUE: Very Good

RESALE VALUE: $120-$150 at 85-95% condition

SALE AVAILABILITY: Often found on Panerai accessory sites, but rarely with dark stitching (custom-made order).

DESCRIPTION: A deep, description-defying shade of cherry wine, this Bordeaux is for those men who think deep reds are too feminine, and yet would like something more imaginative than a black OEM strap. This is a late-afternoon, early evening strap par excellence, which will take you from a barbecue to a dinner al fresco without problems.

SIZE RANGE: Sizes 26-26, 27-24, 24-24. Lengths 125-75, 130-85, 150-90

BUCKLE: Included. Sewn-in bent or plain Brushed buckle with "Simona" on the reverse side

DRESS COLOURS: Would go perfectly with twill, and heavy suit fabrics, including corduroy. Linens are a perfect match. Not recommended for other red colours, but may work well with navy blues, greens, tans, and blacks.

BEST PANERAI WATCH MATCH: PAM 089, PAM 112, PAM 177 (shown)

PHOTO COMPARISON #1 (CAMEL/TAN OVERCOAT)

303117-884.jpg

PHOTO COMPARISON #2 (BLACK SUIT)

303117-885.jpg

PHOTO COMPARISON #3 (GREY SUIT)

303117-886.jpg

NEXT WEEK, PART TWO:

- Bob Blue Shark

- Toscana Vacchetta Nero

Comments and suggestions for series improvement, as ever, welcomed! :sun:

hi victoria,

a very interesting thread, certainly for some members helpful.

you've made your homework very good.

Thank you very much, Rolli. I'm glad that though you are a Panerai strap freak like myself, though with many more years experience under your belt (strap?), you took the opportunity to give a kind, encouraging word.

I will never forget it. :)

Amazing. Your color combinations with clothes really puts considerations of each strap in a different light! Well done, V!

Thank you, Seraphe! Very kind as well, and glad you liked it. Usually I use the edit function to thank a bunch of people in a post, but this time, each of you deserves a more personalised word from me. :)

(Also, I am sorry that RWI is down, but very nice to see you on "The Light Side" for a change!)

Very nice vbarrett! A great twist on a strap review......you left me wanting more...

Thank you, Frogman! Nothing yet, but it will be here soon and who knows, you might get yours shown too. ;)

P.S.: Wasn't it Will Rogers who once said that, "Leave them wanting more"? Never a truer word was spoken!

Let us raise our glasses and drink a toast to our resident strap maven, Victoria. :1a:

Congratulations and thank you for your generous and informative contribution.

My enthusiasm, energy, and yes, mouth is always at your disposal, vlydog! Thanks for the trophy! ...I'll put it next to my Don Carter Alleys "100 strike Club" one. ;)

Well played Victoria.

Googlies were always my strong suit.

I enjoyed it and can see this helping me :)

Thanks, dluddy! If you have any particular strap suggestions, they are always important and welcome. Plus, if I don't have it, it gives me a chance to splurge some more. ;)

Hi Victoria,

As we've been PM-ing back-and-forth last week I knew what to expect, and have to say "It's just what any (business) men needs"!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

After all of your suggestions and spending too much time behind the laptop (according the lovely lady at home) I'm dying for a review of the black strapculture legend...http://www.strapculture.com/legendmp/sclg-m870.html

I guess this is the more 'neutral' choice to mix with both grey and darkblue suits and still wear a powerfull strap.

Who can help Victoria out to do a review on this beauty?

Edited by erwinner

TWO THUMBS WAY UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hana Hou....... usually said with a standing ovation .. means please do it again..

thank you victoria .. for the 110 % you put into everything you do .. you are such the perfectionist...TooTall got back to me what do you think of the Ammo .... Morocan sunset ... Blondie and ...B2 ... does his straps look as good as the pics ???

Mahalo again !!

Lanikai

As we've been PM-ing back-and-forth last week I knew what to expect, and have to say "It's just what any (business) men needs"!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

EXACTLY! Another of my PMers in mind when I posted this.

After all of your suggestions and spending too much time behind the laptop (according the lovely lady at home)

Well, you can't ignore your lovely wife, but an understanding wife is also great. ;)

I'm dying for a review of the black strapculture legend...http://www.strapculture.com/legendmp/sclg-m870.html

ERWINNER! Guess what -- I ordered this strap from SC, so it may be possible to review it sooner than later. Post from HK takes about a month, but we'll see.

As you guys may have noticed, I favour lighter strap colours than many men do here. I find that black is gorgeous, and most of my clothing tends to go with black/white ensembles, but also, it's rather severe for a woman.

So my tastes run from camel to burgundies, coincidentally shown in the debut post. :)

I guess this is the more 'neutral' choice to mix with both grey and darkblue suits and still wear a powerfull strap.

Wonderful! Having said this, the SC leather is very tough, and may not fit easily under your sleeve/suit. You can always ask them to ship another to you, and you send theirs back, asking for "thinner" leather.

But that's jumping the gun!

Who can help Victoria out to do a review on this beauty?

*curtseys*

;)

Veyr nice wardrobe Mrs V.

I'll let dad know. NOT. ;)

MERCI BIEN, Stephane!

For the record:

- Black Giorgio Armani suit (modern styling, and not bespoke)

- Grey two-button Burberry suit (fitted but not bespoke either - chav alert!)

- Aquascutum bespoke cashmere overcoat

When my father puts on his Saville Row suits, with that tall military ramrod straight bearing that he has, and tops it off with the overcoat, wow. He's the handsomest man I've ever seen. :)

Unfortunately, he rarely wears this beauty down in SoFla...maybe has a chance to wear it 1/2 days per year, TOPS.

303874-390.jpg

TWO THUMBS WAY UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hana Hou....... usually said with a standing ovation .. means please do it again..

I will, thanks Randy! :)

I've received a great reaction so far from the guys at Repgeeks, with only RWI having been down, preventing my posting it there. Maybe I'll leave it as is -- exclusive to two forums, only.

thank you victoria .. for the 110 % you put into everything you do ..

Thanks for noticing that, Randy. I've often thought that if I cleaned toilets for a living, that I'd give my all for the Tidy Bowl Man. ;)

you are such the perfectionist...

Maybe. It's problematic sometimes, because it causes procrastination in life. But this is a happy thread, not a weighty one!

TooTall got back to me what do you think of the Ammo .... Morocan sunset ... Blondie and ...B2 ... does his straps look as good as the pics ???

HONEY, you have no idea. Did you see the pics of my Fiddy? That was a Tootall strap.

Just ordered his Moroccan sunset (a soft camel with royal blue thread) that I think will stop traffic on I-95 with my newly-ordered PAM 112. :)

Mahalo again !!

I tried going to this Hawaiian dictionary site last night, but got stumped.

http://wehewehe.org/gsdl2.5/cgi-bin/hdict?...id=0&hdds=0

But I know Mahalo, and I say mahalo to you from my heart. :)