When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Want to confirm which laptop notebook is better

Ghetto2315

I am trying to purchase a laptop notebook for my girlfriend. She basically only needs it for wireless internet and maybe a few work assignments for school. Also, some music playing here and there... but mostly for internet surfing and chatting on AIM. She is not worried about the Hard Drive capacity, or the size of the screen or even the battery life. Basically just speed, and the ability to multi-task online wirelessly. It seems the Toshiba is a better deal, but Dell laptops have been the only laptop she has ever used...

The players are:

1.) Dell Inspiron 1501 Notebook (DNCWHA1) with AMD Sempron 3500+ 3500+ / 2.0 GHz Processor / 60GB Hard Drive / 512 MB DDR II SDRAM of Memory. Windows Vista Home

Full specs here (However, the one I am looking at is 2.0 GHz, not 1.8 GHz): http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/dell-inspi...61.html?tag=sub

2.) Toshiba Satellite L45-S4687 with 1.73 GHz Intel Core Duo processor T5300 / 80 GB Hard Drive / 1 GB of DDR2 of Memory. Windows Vista Home

Full specs here: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5978910

Thank you guys!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Though Dell has gotten better as far as price point/after sales service goes, tha Toshiba you mention (strictly as far as specs go) is the far better of the two. If you have more money, go for an AMD Turion (best performance value) or a Core 2 Duo (not a Core Duo without the 2).

I have limited experience with AMD processors.. But I agree you should shoot for a Core 2 Duo if you are going for an intel machine. I just upgraded from a Dell with Core Duo to another Dell with Core 2 Duo, and the general performance difference is remarkable. (not a huge difference in clock speed either)

If those two are the only PC's she can choose from, I'd go with the Toshiba, simply because of more RAM. ..Vista will probably run oh so slow on a 512MB specification if she has any plans of multitasking.

I tried with 1GB in my laptop, and the performance monitor said I was using 42% of memory just idling with my antivirus and Vista up.

..this is easily mended by buying 2GB of dual channel RAM off ebay at around $80, though.

Vista will probably run oh so slow on a 512MB specification if she has any plans of multitasking.

I tried with 1GB in my laptop, and the performance monitor said I was using 42% of memory just idling with my antivirus and Vista up.

..this is easily mended by buying 2GB of dual channel RAM off ebay at around $80, though.

I put Vista on my system - AMD X2 4800+ Socket 939 with 4GB Dual channel DDR400 (I know, big deal, but it was a bitchin' sytem when I put it together) and it felt like a K6-2 (I've only ever owned AMD's) That lasted about a month and I got fed up and went back to XP - Vista is the solution to the phenominal performance and durability now available in the computer industry - Planned obselescence.

A Core 2 duo will smoke a Core duo even at lower clock speeds. A Turion is only a little slower and a lot cheaper.

Yeah, I was a bit sceptical to Vista at first, as I have never touched a PC with it before I bought it myself. After using it for a week I am very much in favour of it.. If you have a system that can handle it right.

I have the 32bit Vista Home Premium on 2GB RAM, so 4GB wouldn't do much for me, but I wonder if 3 GB would show windows performance to match the cost of that extra 2 GB-chip I'd have to buy.

Doesn't your Win XP only register 2,94GB of RAM, Giorgio?

BTW I read somewhere that the Core 2 Duo outperforms the first Core Duo with 20-30%.

yeah with Vista i would run a gig of ram minimum. I'd go for the Dell probably and upgrade the RAM to a gig at least maybe more... Adding more ram makes a noticable difference in performance.

So the suggestion for choosing between a $500 laptop and a $600 laptop is an $1100 Mac laptop with the similar specs and a smaller screen? :blink:

To get the same size screen on the Mac comes to $2000.

I think OnTech may have an Acer with the same specs as the Dell for $400 with cashback if that's any use.

Definitely Mac. That is, unless you like error messages.

I used to swear by PCs myself, but I don't know a single person who's switched to Apple and ever gone back.

You've just met one: Apple user since 1990 - totally happy. Last configuration: OS10.3/something, on a G3 with plenty of RAM and a decent processor.

2005: a school I teach at lends me a Dell Inspiron laptop with XP. Result: even happier. Maybe I'm just getting dumber with time?

Whatever. But no error messages, and I learn pretty quickly about the fascinating world of virus/adware/spyware/etc. protection.

I admit that if I wanted to run sophisticated graphics and film apps, I'd probably go for a Mac - they have the reputation of being the best for this.

Conclusion: better a Dell or equivalent at half the price than paying twice the amount (or more) for the 'Rolls' of computers. A Rolls is lovely, but for what I do with my computer (essentially surfing the Net) cheap transportation does me just fine.^

Afterthought: With the equivalent of what you spent for what's sitting on your desk, I could purchase a new Dell/equivalet PC every year (with the manufacturer's guarantees) for six years, while giving my earlier model away - and still come out ahead.

For me, it's a no-brainer.

No wisecracks from the gallery, please.

I used to swear by PCs myself, but I don't know a single person who's switched to Apple and ever gone back.

Actually, I'm one of those persons. Not because the Mac was a "bad" computer, but I just didn't like it. Guess I have gotten to familiar with working on MS operating system and it works without any problems (Read: no error messages) for me. Personally, I don't care what computer folks use; it's all a personal choice. And I just hate those "Mac is better! No, PC is better. No, Mac!"-discussions.

Edit to add: Just posted this after ryyannon...so that's 2 of us ;)

Interesting. Personally, I always felt the OSX OS was so user friendly even novices could figure it out without any manual. The PC laptops always seemed to nickel & dime you to death for bluetooth, wireless, software, etc, when the mac simply comes with it all. And how big of a screen do you need on a laptop before getting redundant? That's why they were originally called "notebooks"--because they weren't supposed to have a footprint much bigger than an actual notebook. To each his own though; I just don't want to be carrying around 17 or 20 inches of screen with me--it's like having an LCD tele in your bag. :)

Out of those two machines, I'd suggest rethinking the Dell and getting a Dell Core 2 Duo.

Good suggestion...

One of mine is the E1405...

I love it...

Small footprint...

Travels well...

ZERO error messages...

Running WIN XP...

TT

PS: Paid $600 on e-Bay for it...

Brand new unopened box with full warranty...

I agree with you 100%! I started out with DOS back in 1979 and progressed (oxymoron) my way thru Bill Gates's programming until 3 months ago. I'd had it with Gates and that was the end of him. I purchased three Mac computers, two iMac's for home and office and one MacBook. I was FORCING myself away from Gates. Took me about one to two weeks to figure it out, but, today would I ever go back to a Gates OS? NEVER, and I don't care who makes the computer (Dell, et al). Also, on this new Dual Processor (Intel) the machine boots up in 22 seconds. Yes, you read that right, 22 SECONDS! Start your Dell up (any pc with Windows XX), grab a beer, talk to the wife and maybe when you finish doing all of that your Dell, et al, MIGHT be fully booted. Try it, you'll like it and you'll never go back to Bill Gates. Also, to further entice you, the new OS for Mac, due out in October, will run Windows right out of the gate.

Doesn't your Win XP only register 2,94GB of RAM, Giorgio?

BTW I read somewhere that the Core 2 Duo outperforms the first Core Duo with 20-30%.

No, in XP, if you have over 2 gigs of ram it's better to disable the swap file, since the memory limit is 4gb, with no swap file windows uses all 4 gigs. It still doesn't show all because of the memory mapped devices occupying that address space (around 500MB) making it unavailable for RAM.

I haven't seen an error message since WinME (on my computer, anyway)

...I don't know a single person who's switched to Apple and ever gone back.

I don't know a single person who's switched to Apple.

Edited by giorgio