When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Considering an IWC

Victoria

I once said that I would never wear a Bell & Ross, an IWC, or a Breitling. Guess which one I'm backtracking on?

Looking at the IWC watches offered, I realised that it is a marque with innate class. Everything about it screams quality and restraint. I'm intrigued -- the Sophie Marceau photo helped.

300702-2530.jpg

In short, which IWC model would YOU think would go well with me? :)

I think the porto chrono with blue or gold numbers would look great with the right nails

I'm leaning towards the Porto, I admit, FxrAndy!

I have read about these movement probs Corpsman mentioned though, so I am concerned. Big Pilot...not too sure, Plaifender. Maybe a Flieger.

I'm leaning towards the Porto, I admit, FxrAndy!

I have read about these movement probs Corpsman mentioned though, so I am concerned. Big Pilot...not too sure, Plaifender. Maybe a Flieger.

Really? It seems that the 3717 would be the way to go. Your love for panerai and the bigger watches you tend to wear, would make me think that the smaller flieger would be less your taste. Although the spitfire is available in the nice classy whiteface. I think it's less than 40mm if i remember, or at 40. The 3717 although a bit more "beefy" in my opinion is definitely on my want list! Choose well!

Ha! I recommended the IWC Pilot Chrono 3717 & Ingy (Not Chrono).

I am beginning to warm to the IWC Pilot (chrono). But the Ingy is just a TOUCH too butch, you know? It's truly shaped like a man's watch -- like the Vacheron Constantin Overseas which I tried on in last Monday's Wrist-Check. It's bulky and just not right for me.

The Pilot might work out, because of the strap and more flowing lines. :)

I still waiting 2007 Ingy; and u can read my review on 3717 beolow my signature!

Welcome to IWC Club Miss.V!

NICE! Thank you, Raymond!

Yes, I will certainly read it. I was on the RWI IWC section just now, and sad to hear the Porto is just not a dependable watch. <_<

I am beginning to warm to the IWC Pilot (chrono). But the Ingy is just a TOUCH too butch, you know? It's truly shaped like a man's watch -- like the Vacheron Constantin Overseas which I tried on in last Monday's Wrist-Check. It's bulky and just not right for me.

The Pilot might work out, because of the strap and more flowing lines. :)

NICE! Thank you, Raymond!

Yes, I will certainly read it. I was on the RWI IWC section just now, and sad to hear the Porto is just not a dependable watch. <_<

Hi V,

I wouldn't touch the Porto for now. I see you have probably read all about the movement issues. The odds are just too bad on this one.

But have you seen that The Zigmeister is back and he is optimistic about the new seconds at 3 movement. He hasn't done a full review yet, but if it turns out to be good and ends up in the Porto, that is when you can get add the Porto to your collection.

For now I'd go for the 3717. I'm getting mine from the post office today (can't wait!). Sometimes you don't want a really big watch, but not too small either. Discrete and yet eye catching at the same time. And such a simple and elegant design.

For now I'd go for the 3717. I'm getting mine from the post office today (can't wait!). Sometimes you don't want a really big watch, but not too small either. Discrete and yet eyecatching at the same time. And such a simple and elegant design.

Thanks for the reply, and advice, Dangerman. And you too Fitmic! :)

http://www.watchsilix.com/product.asp?id=1741

http://www.watchsilix.com/product.asp?id=1041

Since I am going to wait for the Porto (being the one I like), I wonder if I can wet my feet with this Big Pilot. However, why does it look like it has a blue dial? Is it the AR? On the description is says 'black dial'.

Any hints if this cheapo is worth it?

I still have time until Jays sends me the package Tuesday, to decide to include another one.

@Fitmic specifically: I know, I know. A Panerai girl shouldn't be talking about how masculine a watch looks. But the thing is...as I keep saying, the sleek lines of the PAMs do not look masculine on a woman, whereas I feel the Ingy would. It's got a much too solid case outline, like the VCO, to my mind. I hope you can see that too. :)

@Fitmic specifically: I know, I know. A Panerai girl shouldn't be talking about how masculine a watch looks. But the thing is...as I keep saying, the sleek lines of the PAMs do not look masculine on a woman, whereas I feel the Ingy would. It's got a much too solid case outline, like the VCO, to my mind. I hope you can see that too. :)

That's so true!

I vote for 3717 on bracelet. IMHO, it is reasonably sized and is a comfortable to wear bracelet watch. Wait for a decent version of the Big Pilot. The current version needs some help. I own a Portuguese rep but never wear it. Having seen what you already own on the forum the Portu Chrono will feel insubstantial. Even the gen which feels very different from the rep wears small if you have been wearing PAM's. I don't consider that particular watch or the BP to be in the same league as other IWC reps.

Dear Mademoiselle V.

indeed the portuguese is a very classy watch : I will buy a quartz version of it to avoid any seconds@6 issue. I know you have no problem with cheaper reps, which make us "compatible" to some extent :D

Here's what I would suggest : http://www.ioffer.com/i/28218977

Ideally you should try to get it from Ruby or some dealer who accepts hunting for you. As the problem is that none of our usual dealers carrry this particular one.

Be carefull, the seconds subdial has a useless (wrong) marking. The same exist with the correct marking, but obviously not in gold.

http://www.ioffer.com/i/IWC-Portuguese-Qua...-watch-27151161

The second I would suggest is a skeletton IWC with (faux) minute repeater, or without.

Auto movement and no 7750, so no problem of seconds@6.

PC has a promotion (free carriage) on the RG one :

http://www.perfectclones88.com/iw01001-jon...ges-p-1969.html

That one is preferred :

http://www.perfectclones88.com/iw01003-rep...tas-p-2556.html

For all of them, I would suggest a genuine croc or alligator (glossy) chestnut strap...

Hope this helps. I'll surely soon review the Quartz portuguese.

We still did not find which watch Audrey Tautou's wearing, but I feel that Sophie Marceau's one might be acceptable :lol:

i'd go for the pilot chrono (3717) -- it has a lot of presence that pictures can't capture, and the bracelet is one of my favorites (and i don't like many watches on bracelets).

i wouldn't bother with the cheapy big pilot -- there are rumors that a quality version will be coming out in 2008...

deltatahoe

RWG is unbearably slow right now, so forgive no personalised replies -- takes too long to load...

Just to say thank you to all who have replied so far with ideas, RCHK, FxrAndy, Deltatahoe, Lazarini, Maximilian, everyone!

Dea Mademoiselle V.

indeed the portuguese is a very classy watch : I will buy a quartz version of it to avoid any seconds@6 issue. I know you have no problem with cheaper reps, which make us "compatible" to some extent :D

I am getting progressively more snobby with the PAMs but oddly, not so much with non-PAMs. I have no problems with the Porto being quartz, as you say, Pix. :)

Ideally you should try to get it from Ruby or some dealer who accepts hunting for you.

With your idea in mind, I've shot a PM to a collector we all know and love. I'm sure he'll get a Porto chrono in black with panda dials for me -- in quartz! ;)

http://www.ioffer.com/i/IWC-Portuguese-Qua...-watch-27151161

That's so-so because of the lack of panda dials. Now, normally I cannot stand those things, but I admit, it softens the Porto to make it more feminine to my eyes. :)

The skeletons look like the Chronoswiss I have, and are less IWCish than the others, but thanks for the links! I can't believe you took such time looking these up for me, Pix. I hope to retribute in kind one day!

For all of them, I would suggest a genuine croc or alligator (glossy) chestnut strap...

Genuine croc black strap, I think!

Hope this helps. I'll surely soon review the Quartz portuguese.

I can't wait, thanks for that in advance.

We still did not find which watch Audrey Tautou's wearing, but I feel that Sophie Marceau's one might be acceptable :lol:

Dude, could it be that Mlle Tautou wears no watch?? Heartbreaking. I have to find my copy of L'Auberge Espagnole, toute-de-suite. :lol:

Here you go Vic

DSCN3189.jpg

How dear and kind, Mrs. FxrAndy is. Thank you both so much for the effort! :)

(She's got lovely hands, as smooth as a cherub's!)

I must say, I am rather impressed. The white dial doesn't at all look masculine, as I thought. I am still partial to the Porto, or 3717, as Jeff mentioned, but this is now not out of the question either.

I've been on www.iwcflieger.com a lot today, and every time I look at these watches, a little part of me whistles in appreciation.

Okay, I wouldn't wear a Saint-Exupery, Ingy or Cousteau Diver, but they are very elegant.