When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

cant open back of my Rolex sub......

cableguy

Seriously, I don't think we can perpetuate this ball of tape/ sticky ball/suction tool myth any longer.

Sure these methods work on watches... That were not well sealed in the 1st place.... probably by a sticky ball!

However, anyone who spends time opening multiple watches, will find that even hand tools, Jaxa style, Bergeon/Rolex tool etc, sometimes still will not crack the casing.

Then the big guns are needed... a screw down vice style case back opener, with the CORRECT dies......

and even then, some won't open.

Thats when we call our man Nanug... complete with 4WD, chainsaw, and sledgehammer. :p

But I am serious, I have sat and shaken my head at the multiple posts I have seen... swearing to the efficiency of sticky balls et al.

"A poor craftsman blames his tools"

Offshore

Oh, my friend, I don't deny that properly using "sticky tape" or "balls" will open MOST watches, most of the time, but gilt edged guaranteed, they won't open, all watches, all of the time!

Probably just depends on how much time each person has to waste, trying all the different methods, knows all the tricks, and has all the tools necessary to cross reference.

I will always bow to the experts' knowledge around here... it is really why I hang around... this place is just the greatest learning curve, with info from a large range of very knowledgeable WIS.

So this prompts me to start another thread, in GD, which I will call..." Legend, Fact or Myth"

I call on all members, from newb, to WIS, to post their question, have it debated.... and given we reach a definitive answer to it, we will arrange to place the answer as a "sticky" in the appropriate section.

We may even have to turn to polls here, ( and god I hate polls), if we need to "vote" on the proper answer.

So here is your opportunity people,.... what is that one question you have always really needed to have answered... but were always afraid to ask?

And any aggressive flaming type answers WILL be deleted.

I will kick it off with this one.... " Does duct tape, sticky balls, always work for you"

( and include my response, and the answers so far received.

let's just see where this leads us!

Offshore

any watch that hasnt been opened in a few years usually needs a good rolex caseback tool to open. two watches i have had to heat the caseback and use my rolex case tool before they would open. I've also opened a few with duct tape.. but they werent very tight to begin with.. Depends on the watch but i would always have the proper tools handy.

If balled up tape always works for you then thats good, you'll save money on case openers. I always seem to get the watches wth casebacks that are SUPER tight...

Lonnie

A friend of mine, who is no longer with us, was a watch maker, trained in Europe and worked for a Rolex AD in NY. He taugh me lots of things about watch repair and "loved" good reps! One thing I remember him telling me was that if a case back was hard to remove the person that last worked on it probably was not properly trained as he explained that a snug tightening is all that is needed. He said that if he had to use a vice/case opener to open the watch he knew the watch was last worked on by an untrained person and this usually means that there will be more problems inside...

He would say made sure the mating surfaces are clean and lube a new gasket and hand snug it. The case vice is not for closing but for opening over tightened case basks...

"It's a watch...not a transmission" he would say :lol:

Not yet had to try the ball of tape method on any of my Rollies. My most recent purchase, an Explorer 2 was a tough one to open, but using Mrs Slartibartfast's rubber gloves (and a lot of effort) did it for me!

Perhaps this says more about the quality of manufacture rather than the method of opening the case.... who knows.

I got myself a Bergeon Rolex die that I use with a "rep" case back opener (Special die 29,5mm for RLX, Bergeon swiss made.)...

I agree that it is opening the watch but I fully agree it is scratching it most of the time too, specialy when closing it and trying to close is as tight as possible.

Not mentionning the Jaxa with Panerai, IWC, Omega and Breitling, these tools are not the good choice.

The only serious tool is...a real watchmaker ;)

Or put 5 or 600

• 3 weeks later...

If the sticky ball or duct tape fails, try on some gardening or dish washing gloves.

Hold the watch, face down, with both hands, index fingers on the dial side, thumbs on the back, right hand thumb on the top of the back, left hand thumb on the bottom of the back. Now in a synchronized way, push the top thumb to your left, and the lower thumb to your right. If they slip, apply some more pressure against the index fingers. If it is still slippery you have the wrong type of gloves. They should feel rubbery. If the correct gloves fail because you feel like you will skin your thumb to the bone, try doing the "sticky ball" trick with the inside part of both hands. No scratches or dings to your lovely back..no extra tools to purchase. Maybe your better half will complain if you ruin a pair of gloves, but nothing comes free in this life :)

BTW: The only watch I have failed to open this way is a pam111 that a local "watchsmith" had repeatedly messed with... :)

BUY A REAL OPENER! :secret:

I'm completely with offshore...after screw drivers and tweezers, it's the most important investment you can make. Put saran wrap between the opener and the watch if you're having trouble with scratching.

Look at the completed auctions on ebay. Some sellers want quite a bit, but you should find a tool with a set of dies for 60usd or so, I believe.

Cheers.