When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Re-AR Coating in Europe

b16a2

I have just been on the phone to a company here in the UK that provide AR coating services.

They actually coat Rolex crystals (which I didn't realise had AR coating) and they also provide a service to other brands.

I sent them a picture of a genuine Breitling showing clearly the type of AR coating we would need.

They will offer this, and I can send a minimum of one crystal upto however many we need doing.

The coating itself is very tough. Durability is on a ratio out of 100 scratch test 99.8, and they also come with a 2 year guarantee.

Price will be around what we have seen from previous AR coating runs.

If anyone has a crystal that they would like coating please let me know and I will send it off as a tester. I will contribute payment towards the cost of the process, and pay all shipping fee's (from me to the company, and from me back to the member) as I really want to see how this comes out, but unfortunately I don't have any sapphire crystals needing this treatment as I am on an AR run already.

They have said that blue, purple, and violet are available, (violet is apprently the closest to the Breitling hue) and this is a double coating, inside and out, and very resistant to marking (see above for the scrtach test ratio)

If anyone would like to step forward with a crystal for this, please PM me.

The price for this tester crystal will be cheap as I will put some towards it and include shipping to the company, and back to the member.

Il keep you posted.

The company do all sorts of coating. Green, purple, blue, bloom free etc...

They can do single and double ar projects.

The good thing is because they have the program set up to do the rolex crystals, there is no set up costs in that respect so if successful, the costs should be similar to what we have seen from other AR runs. I don't want to jump the gun as it is early days yet, but I will keep you all posted on progress.

I agree, Rolex does not use AR so I have my doubts about this comapny. I have used a comapny in the UK for AR in the past but there double coating finish is more purple than blue unfortunately. They are very good on single ar though. The company is Siltint in Manchester. They normally coat optical lenses. I have asked about blue tinits but they never give me a straight answer so I no longer bother with them.

Do you not have any reps of your own to test them with???

Only coating I can think they'd do for rolex is owners wanting to get their crystals coated aftermarket.

I don't know how it would work as I don't know whether the genuines use similar adhesives for the cyclops attachment to the crystal. In that case, the 300 celsius coating would not be possible, unless it is 1 piece.

Company need to have "know how" method of doing coating on saphire crystals ,this is not the same as on a glass, so if they never work on saphire, they will not do it right.

Yes they double checked the material and said it was fine.

As far as the Rolex statement goes I will clear this up with them. Please let's not get to hasty and debate this point too much until I get a further explanation from them about it :)

They have experience in coating watch crystals as the machine is already set up to do such a procedure.

I want the community to know that this really is testing the water. If the crystal comes back with a coating that is not to the high specifications we have seen on Chieftangs run, and also from the pics we have seen of K222's preliminary run, I will not offer a group run, and I will refund the contribution made by Ryaku in sending the crystal, so it can be put towards being re coated by one of the other two runs.

However going on what they have told me; the durability, the tint, the reduction of reflections, I am very hopeful that we will get a good result.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm updating you....it's a total disaster.

This company is absolutely unreliable (my bad, i should have known after they said they coated Rolex crystals)...after two months i'm still waiting for my crystal back.

Most likely it's lost and they will try to replace it...in some way.

In september Ar company coated crystal in the wrong way (despite instructions were clear) and shipped the crystal so b16a2, once received, sent it back again to take a new shot.

Since then they haven't delivered it and they always repeat there're problems with courier.

After 2 months it looks like it's lost.

Company offered to replace the crystal but honestly i'm not very confident they can do it properly (they also offered to coat the crystal correctly but it's a fact weren't able to do it) moreover i don't wanna waste more time, two months it's long enough to say time's up.

They haven't been able to coat it rightly and they can't even deliver in the same country (it's not an international shipment)....how can i be confident they can clonate a crystal well (size, shape, material...)?

I suggest b16a2 to ask a refund and get rid of em asap but apparently he doesn't agree with my solution.

Now....what do you think we should do?

Do you reckon they can easily create a new crystal identical to my previous one?

Frankly i strongly doubt but i'd like to have your opinions on it now.

Thanks