When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sorry if I won't be around sometime next week....

thomasng

Just a heads up, I won't be able to answer e-mails or PMs next week.

The trial I am sitting on the jury for took a surprise twist today, as the defense suddenly declined to call witnesses, meaning the 2 accused will not take the stand, cutting 2 weeks from the trial.

We are to hear closing arguments on Monday and Tuesday, hear our instructions on Wednesday and retire to consider our verdict. During this time, I will be sequestered, staying overnight in a hotel, so I will have no internet access. So if any of you have any PMs, e-mails for me, or other issues, please understand I may not be available for a day, maybe 10 days, depending on what happens.

Well before they lock you down admin how about telling us if you are voting guilty or not guilty :lol:

Ken

Shhh.......

Here are the charges we are deciding:

First Degree Murder

Attempted Murder

Conspiracy to Commit Murder

Committing Indignities to a Corpse

Rape

Break and Enter

Armed Robbery

Sexual Assault with a Weapon

And there are 2 people charged with all of these offenses, and we must consider the guilt of each person on each charge, that's why it may take a very long time for us to reach a decision. I refuse to say anything until I return from the courthouse after the verdict.

Shhh.......

Here are the charges we are deciding:

First Degree Murder

Attempted Murder

Conspiracy to Commit Murder

Committing Indignities to a Corpse

Rape

Break and Enter

Armed Robbery

Sexual Assault with a Weapon

And there are 2 people charged with all of these offenses, and we must consider the guilt of each person on each charge, that's why it may take a very long time for us to reach a decision. I refuse to say anything until I return from the courthouse after the verdict.

Holy crap, that's horrible. :yuk: My mother just finished her 2 week case last week and the guy was charged with a bunch of things too. She said the hardest part was that one person wanted to get him on every charge no matter what and wouldn't listen to anyone else who didn't agree. They deliberated for 2 days and finally all came to an agreement on all the different charges. In your case if the evidence is so damning then it might be easier for you to come to an agreement. Good luck and I wouldn't want to be in your shoes, but I'm sure you're showing off all your nice watches. ;)

Here's some of the evidence that was presented at the trial over the past 2 months (Yes, I'm allowed to say what evidence, just cannot name the defendants):

- Fingerprints of both of the accused on the doorway of the victim's house

- Footprints in the snow on the lawn of the house

- DNA, skin cells found on the fingernails of the victim, with a 1 in 180 million probability of error to one of the defendants

- Blood drops of two of the defendants found over a bathroom sink, with a probability of error 1 in 6 billion for one defendant, 1 in 660 billion for the other defendant

- Fingerprints of one of the defendants on the blood stained murder weapon, a carving knife, with all of the 42 wounds on the victim matching the knife.

- Semen found on the underwear of the victim, matching both of the defendants

- A knife cover found on one of the defendants, containing the victims DNA with a match of 1 in 5 million error.

- Jewellery containing the victims DNA found in both of the defendant's home

- Blood stained jeans containing victim's DNA found at one of the defendant's homes

- Defense wounds discovered on both of the defendants arms at the time of arrest

- Victims ATM card found on one of the defendants

- Video Surveillance showing both of the defendants at a convenience store 1 street away at the approximate time of the murder

- Stab wounds on the victim's 1 year old child match the knife

OMG I think I'm going to be sick....................the 1yo I take it didn't survive?

Ken

Miraculously, the 1 year old survived with 1 wound to the leg and 1 wound to the arm, and it was a heartbreaker to watch her husband with the child, who I would assume is 7 years old, they have been sitting in the front row of the court, right beside the jury box, since the day jury selection began, all the way to the end. That is where the attempted murder charge stems from.

Probably the most heart wrenching thing about this whole trial is wer had to review 2 hours ro so worth or the crime scene tapings, and more than 100 photos of the scene, the victim and such. It was so incredibly disturbing, many of us had to ask to be excused for 10 or 15 minutes to cope with what we all saw on the computer screens. What made matters worse was the defendants laughed as the photos were presented by the Crown attorney, and watching the victim's family, who I think include her husband, daughter, parents, siblings sitting in the spectators gallery crying as the photos were presented, the testimony by pathologists, EMS workers, police officers and investigators.

What was even more heart wrenching was hearing the victim impact statement from her daughter, husband, mother and father.

As for sentences, if we convict them, we don't have to make any recommendations for sentencing in first degree murder, as they recieve an automatic life sentence if we find them guilty.

As for sentences, if we convict them, we don't have to make any recommendations for sentencing in first degree murder, as they recieve an automatic life sentence if we find them guilty.

Just shoot the f@#kers!! :angry:

that must be a pretty shitty hotel where they dont have internet access :)

even cheap ass hotel pennsylvania in NYC had internet access (and all the best westerns do too)

Look, I said that we need to be completely sealed off from contact with the outside world. No social interactions with other people, other than the 11 other people on the jury, until we can come up with a verdict for all of the charges. It doesn't mean the hotel has no internet access, we just can't use it and the TVs are also barred from use too.

The complexity of this case is because it involves 2 defendants. We must determine the guilt of each person, what their role was, and this is the part that will be very hard to decide.

Well, we heard closing arguments today, and tomorrow, the big day comes after 2 months of waiting.

Today, we heard from the defense that we should acquit them on all charges, as they called the scientific evidence flawed, and a large series of conincidences, we were also told to remind ourselves that if we convict both of them, we would be ruining 2 young lives, by jailing them forever, and that they would be better off in society. Also the defense mentioned that the 2 men faced constant racial harassment from polic officers.

The prosecutors then reminded us that we recieved testimony from experts in the field, not some random person on the street, and we should let our common sense accept the scientific evidence and convict both of them, and that these 2 men commit a cold, callous murder and should be locked away.

Tomorrow- we begin our decision after hearing the judges instruction on the law, and what we need to consider.