When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Great Panerai Strap Caper

Victoria

Let me let you into a secret.

I shoot these Caper straps outside near my pool, lugging the suits, jackets, overcoats, and other tschokes downstairs with me. I do this because I like to show you straps in natural light, unlike the posed studio photos usually seen elsewhere.

But I had to reshoot these again today, because sadly, the chosen articles got wrinkled. They included finally a brown contrasting fabric, but it just didn't look presentable.

So to make up for the wait, I decided to review not 2 straps, but 3 -- adding a second Strap Culture strap, a red-toned Radiomir one, against 4 different clothes background than previous weeks.

I hope you like them!

Without further ado, I give you the Great Panerai Strap Caper, Part 4.

STRAP NUMBER 1

- "StrapCulture's Historic Brown #2 w/ Beige Stitch AND Legend Special Brown w/ Beige Stitch"

12-600x451.jpg

34a.jpg

LEATHER MAKERS: Strap Culture of Hong Kong

MERCHANTS: StrapCulture.com

COST: SC Rad Legend SCLG-R970 = $108, SC Rad Legend SCLG-R972 = U$108

BANG FOR BUCK VALUE: Overpriced

RESALE VALUE: $80-90 at 95% condition

SALE AVAILABILITY: Frequently found on accessory sections in forums. One gen forum has a standing 15% off discount simply by mentioning their name.

DESCRIPTION: I don't know of a single more covetted strap than the Strap Culture ones, especially amongst male Paneristi. Who can resist that coolest of all buckles with either the Skull-n-Swords, or the hatchets in relief? Only Gregoire's anchor buckles rival it for wow factor. There are a lot of positives about the Strap Culture straps. They are durable and yet sporty-chic. They come in a handy leatherette pouch with a limited edition credit card, denoting your name and item number. Most importantly, Customer Service is fantastic, and will try to help you quickly and efficiently any time you contact them. But there is one glaring negative that cannot be ignored -- the leather of these straps is awful. The brown one I review below smells as if its been stuck in a brine combination of creosote and turpentine for a month. The red one is as tough as concrete, with no "give" to the hide. Paneristi have come to expect more of their strap quality for the $100+ price they pay, and I'm afraid the Hong Kong merchants just don't offer that quality (yet). If I could give you a piece of advice, it would be to buy an used strap on the forums, and try it out. Or even yet, buy the buckle separately, and mount it on your other straps. I wish I could rate this better than "Overpriced" but I have to calls 'em like I sees 'em.

SIZE RANGE: Radiomir only sizes, 135/80 mm in 27/26mm. Others vary.

BUCKLE: Included. Either polished SS screw-in buckle in Skull-n-Sword logo or "SC" hatchet buckle (must specify). Extra buckles sold separately.

DRESS COLOURS: Rugged, macho heavy fabrics like wools and denims were tailor-made for these straps. This is an ass-kicking strap which would look awesome on a motorcycle or wearing Doc Martens. The darker the tones the better, with blacks, browns, navy blues all working seemlessly together. Definitely do not counsel professionals or office workers to wear these straps, save the Legend black version. And even then, not with the Skull buckle. Prison inmates and Hells' Angels, on the other hand, knock yourselves out.

BEST PANERAI WATCH MATCH: PAM 183, PAM 232, PAM 190. Too tight on PAM 127.

PHOTO COMPARISON #1 (Barbour Jacket - Sage)

gamefairsc2ja5.jpg

PHOTO COMPARISON #2 (Barbour Jacket - Blue)

beaufortbluesc2qt2.jpg

PHOTO COMPARISON #3 (Shirt/Blouse - White)

burberrywhitesc2co7.jpg

PHOTO COMPARISON #4 (Shirt/Blouse - Black)

bananarepublicsc2uk1.jpg

LEATHER DETAIL

detailhistoricbrownbx4.jpg

BUCKLE DETAIL

scbuckleradop1.jpg

STRAP NUMBER 2

- "Toscana Arruginito...a Whisky colored vintage strap with a Natural Pre-V Logo buckle"

Toscana_Arruginito.jpg

LEATHER MAKERS: Cuoierie Meccaniche Brelli di Ciampi

MERCHANTS: Timeconnection.biz

COST: U$169.00

BANG FOR BUCK VALUE: Very Good

RESALE VALUE: $70-90 at 95% condition

SALE AVAILABILITY: Infrequently offered in Daily Specials. Sometimes offered alongside the Fiero in other forums' specials.

DESCRIPTION: The merchant put it best -- this is a Jim Beam whisky reddish strap which grows and grows on you, the more you look at it. Is it a showstopper like the Toscana Fiero? No. But it shares the same kaleidescope effect of turning a dozen different colours as you turn your wrist around. Now brown, now red, is that honey gold? And do I see black in there too, somehow?? Yes! For all you guys who think a reddish strap is too feminine, or just never considered it before, try the Arruginito -- the name means "rusty/rouged" and it's the PERFECT shade for all your Vintage Marina PAM lovers. You'll love it. Ladies, you too!

SIZE RANGE: 115/75 to 130/85 in 24/24 to 125/80 in 26/24

BUCKLE: Included. Sewn-in brushed Pre-V natural buckle with "Toscana" logo on watch side

DRESS COLOURS: If the first strap is for the tough boys amongst you, this strap is for the jocks. Take it to the football game, or to the soccer match, and you'll stand out at the same time as blending in. It can do that because it's versatile, always a big consideration for me in choosing straps to review. Throw any colour at it, save purple, and it'll work. I've even seen someone wearing a Hawaiian shirt with this strap on, on another forum, and it looked good. Is it work-friendly? Why not. Just make sure you match your tie with it, and it'll make the other guys look less confident around you.

BEST PANERAI WATCH MATCH: PAM 111, PAM 113, PAM 127/217, Tailor-made for VINTAGE PAMs

PHOTO COMPARISON #1 (Barbour Jacket - Sage)

gamefairarruginitojh6.jpg

PHOTO COMPARISON #2 (Barbour Jacket - Blue)

beafortbluearruginitovc3.jpg

PHOTO COMPARISON #3 (Shirt/Blouse - White)

burberryarruginitopb5.jpg

PHOTO COMPARISON #4 (Shirt/Blouse - Black)

bananarepublicarruginitva8.jpg

LEATHER DETAIL

detailarruginitojl7.jpg

BUCKLE DETAIL

arruginitobucklelk3.jpg

NEXT WEEK, PART FIVE:

- Tootall's "Moroccan Sunset"

- Savage's Chisel Cut "Albion"

NOTE: I composed and lost this post 2 times...there is a glitch in my Firefox with scrolling down to choose photos on Image Shack, etc. If you have a clue what is going on, please post a reply or PM me. The browser just "quits" on me.

Holy guacamole, it's not been my day on RWG!

First, as you read in the note, I had trouble with the photos, then trouble composing the post. Seconds after clicking Add Post my INTERNET WENT DOWN FOR HOURS...now, RWG is crapping out.

I thought it was my internet again, but others have expressed similar troubles...boo.

I really wanted to give you something special with this Part 4 too. Oh well. Sorry. :(

It's always a pleasure....you really bring a new and fascinating perspective to the rather mundane world of straps - describing them like the semi-precious items that some of the best of them really are.

Thanks Ryyannon! And Smilingbear especially, since that's the first time I've think s/he's seen the Caper series. :)

Great work, lovely photos!

*curtseys*

The reason I think the series is turning out well is that I do it (1) with love for RWG (2) with OCDness for straps (3) I can write a bit (4) and most importantly, I want to save you guys money.

I may not be a working woman, so to speak, but I've earned my living too. Whatever we can save, is that much more useful for more important stuff -- like our families. :)

Nice photos and beautiful straps V. Thanks for the effort! BTW, I know how you feel with the internet problems. Whilst posting my last two reviews, RWG has gone down. Very frustrating when you've spent a good bit of time formating type and pics so they're just right, then when you his "submit" nothing happens. grrrrrrrrrr

Nice photos and beautiful straps V. Thanks for the effort! BTW, I know how you feel with the internet problems. Whilst posting my last two reviews, RWG has gone down. Very frustrating when you've spent a good bit of time formating type and pics so they're just right, then when you his "submit" nothing happens. grrrrrrrrrr

So I read, Andreww! The second time, I just copy/pasted unto my Notepad, but I still forgot to save a lot of what I had written, so I had to re-write everything.

The first version was better...I'm sure yours, no matter how good it turned out, was too. It's always the way!

Another great review VB, and more items to add to my ever-growing wish list.

Looking forward to the Savage review though, as I feel that I may be ordering one of his straps soon. :D

Thanks, prof! Guys!

Just to note that Tootall and Savage are IMHO, the best bang for buck guys out there. Gregoire and Zeugma charge $200+ for their straps, and both of these guys are just as good.

However, honestly, I wouldn't pay $200 for a handmade strap. That's PAV or Metta Catherina country for me.

V., what a wonderfull job you have done here : pics, clothes match, review, real feeling about it quality vs price ...

Your work is really precious for us. Thanks for that ;)

PS : unlucky there is approximatively 10 000 km between us.. it must be lot of fun to do shopping withh you :D

I just have to say WOW! V you have made my day with this review!

I've been debating on which straps goes with what watch and if the colour in the pictures is what I will have in my hand when the strap arrives...very difficult job! I guess is like we say in spanish: a prueba y error (hit and miss) basis.

But since you are not only a great watch collector you ALSO know how to collect straps that sync with your collection. Definetly I look forward to any of your post in search of a great pic with and incredible watch and a new strap combination!

Cheers to you lady!

Almost missed this one ..... very informative again !!!

Thanks for all the work you put in it ! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Strapculture looks good, but I have heard frequently that they dont age that nice (missing grain) and are not supersoft.

Toscana Arruginito on the other Hand is one of my favourites..... best bang for the buck.

its my 3rd favourite in that reddish colour range.... after GEF Palombari in Cognac and the MP9 Maroni.

CANT wait for next weeks issue !!! OH GOODIE ...... Tootall and Savage !!!

Edited by rolexsandwich

ANNOUNCEMENT

Just to let you guys know that the Tuesday GPSC will be delayed one day, as I haven't gotten my Savage strap yet. It's a-coming, fear not!

Also, Part 6 will be the final installment of the year, until January. But I am taking suggestions for strap review ideas.

So if you want a special strap or brand reviewed, just post it here.

IF I got it, the most votes wins!

I was just downstairs shooting the new straps on 3 new articles of clothing, when I receive a distress call from my mother.

I am going to try to take my laptop with me, because when I get nervous I need to read, but please forgive me if Part 5 is delayed.

The question is, what watch do you wear to the ER when your father is being rushed with chest pains...actually, I don't care. Funny how life is. One moment, a passion. The other, nothing matters.

Sorry, guys. Will probably check in later.

Victoria