When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Charging Luminova on watches (Or whatever makes them glow)

guanaco

Just read on a website that you need to charge it for 30min to get a full charge, can someone please explain this to me? I really don't know how much time to charge it, how much it will last, etc. I searched to no avail, if anyone could chip in I would appreciate it! :)

*BTW the only rep I have is the UPO 'Lite' if that's of any help. The lume is kinda weak when left by itself, but when 'charged' directly next to a light source for 1 minute it becomes very bright! :lol: Then it slowly fades until it goes normal in 3-5 minutes.

Just read on a website that you need to charge it for 30min to get a full charge, can someone please explain this to me? I really don't know how much time to charge it, how much it will last, etc. I searched to no avail, if anyone could chip in I would appreciate it! :)

Yeah! Good question, Guanaco. I've been meaning to ask this but was newbie-shy.

P.S.: Please let the answer not be Russian Father Bombs. Please let the answer not be Russian Father Bombs.

sorry to say guys.. the rfb's would completely melt away the lume on any conventional watch.. i use the weaker U.S.mother bombs to get just the right amount of lume.. it glows for days...

to answer you question seriously though... lume on reps is historically shitty. charge for as long as you like.. it will still stop glowing after 10 minutes.. get it relumed and enjoy

Just read yourself trough this PDFs and you will know it

http://navigater.na.funpic.de/PDF/

You're the most helpful guy on this board. I love you, Navigater!

*reads*

EDIT: Maybe my eyes are tired, but I didn't understand a thing. All I got was that I had to excite my watch for it to lume brightly. Well, heck, that sounds like my boyfriend. Can't I just wear Victoria's Secret undies instead?

@Raymond: I got it. Hmm, check your .pdf settings?

I've read the 30 minute thing before. However, as previously stated, reps don't hold the lume long (5 or 10 minutes). I've got two of the Ken's Trading Company watches (RXWs - dial similar to a PAM). I can charge them for 5 or 10 minutes and they shine like flashlights at first. One of them dims relatively quickly but is still somewhat visible all night (it also has H3 tubes though). The other one dims much slower and still has good lume the following morning. In fact, it is brighter in the morning than my PAM rep right after a charge.

surprise (happily) how good the lumes are on the Omega.. PO's ... I charge it .. I sleep with my watches on for the simple reason that i wake up at 12 am (-5 GMT).. and tend to "rest' my eyes to long sometimes and need to have the time on my wrist all the time... omega PO's hold their lume for a good 4 to 5 hours.. no [censored]..and i just charge it for 30 seconds or so before i hit the lights.

SOSF is great also.. along with the IWC cousteau diver .. and of course Ziggy's

A good relume done by the respected modders on these boards should not take that long to charge. For instance this picture was taking after dial charged under 60 watt bulb for 60 seconds.

Panerai-111H-Mod.jpg

On a modded watch if you wear it all day in well luminated area you will find that the dial should have sufficient lume to make it throught the night.

A good relume done by the respected modders on these boards should not take that long to charge. For instance this picture was taking after dial charged under 60 watt bulb for 60 seconds.

Panerai-111H-Mod.jpg

On a modded watch if you wear it all day in well luminated area you will find that the dial should have sufficient lume to make it throught the night.

Holy Crap! Looks great! Who did it and how much id it cost?

The radiation flux from the light source is partly absorbed by electrons in the glowing matter. The wavelengths absorbed are characteristic for the pigment, the matrix and luminous center. The delayed light (luminescence) is caused by the defects in lattice which traps electrons. When the electron is released from the trap, it retains radiating a photon that can be green or blue etc. The trapping is not very efficient. The long exposure under the light is thus needed. The more electrons are trapped the more intensive the glow will be. The trapping time is a statistical event and it is fully dependent on the pigment. Luminova is strontiumaluminiumocide containing europium and dysprosium (SrAl2O4:Eu2+,Dy3+). ;)

Edited by Cosmo

I took my Omega Seamaster GMT (white dial) with me to Sweden and Finland last December (for the GMT functionality) and I was on a cruise ship from Stockholm to Helsinki, with no windows. A good night's sleep and waking up in the morning around midday, in the inky darkness, the only light shining from the Seamaster dial, and looking real bright... now that's lume :thumbsupsmileyanim:

+1. I used LED toches for 1 minute on the dial and it fully charges the lume. Better than anything else I've used before.

OMG. I have to get an LED torch/flash light stat! Only thing is, I don't go to Home Depot or Ace, etc. Will your normal local US supermarket carry them?

@Kollektor: THANKS! I will try that out and buy it on *bay. :)

For those interested, here is the torch you can buy: Streamlight PROPOLYMER

OMG. I have to get an LED torch/flash light stat! Only thing is, I don't go to Home Depot or Ace, etc. Will your normal local US supermarket carry them?

@Kollektor: THANKS! I will try that out and buy it on *bay. :)

For those interested, here is the torch you can buy: Streamlight PROPOLYMER