When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

King - New Yachtmaster listed

watcher

King has listed a very good looking Yachtmaster but what perplexes me is what movements she says.............swiss 2892 or swiss 3035!!

The watch looks very good and probably the best Yachtie yet but how can the movement sbe as stated! I will mail her for clarity.

She has emailed me and it would appear this genuine. the 3035 is 5 times more expensive than the 2892!!! I won't quote the price on here but it is expensive for a Rollie rep.

Edited by watcher

Of all the Rolex sports models NOT to drop a genuine 3035 into it would be the Yachtie.

Why? A franken YM like this, apart from looking no different (same case, dial etc.) is fairly pointless as the weight of the gen (platinum dial and bezel insert) stands out a mile.

Much better to put a 3035 into the forthcoming SD ;)

This case and dial is not the same as the other YM's available. Note the higher crown position and much better dial finish at least in the pics anyway. The rehaut is better and the bezel is closer to the genuine watch.

as to weight, I have owned a gen Yachtmaster 16622 and the weight is very little different to a Sub. The bracelet is better on the OEM becasue like the Daytona it has filled centre links. The platinum bezel and dial make very small differences to the weight compared to a complete platinum Day date for instance.

I may have a go at the swiss 2892 version at $500.

Firstly I disagree about the gen's weight difference, I found it very noticeable on the wrist and that was compared to an old S-serial SeaDweller with solid midlinks. You may think a relatively small dial and insert would not affect the overall weight, but remember Pt is a VERY heavy metal, about twice the weight of gold.

Hmmm, the dial I don't know about, agree it looks less 'sparkly' but then these photos have been tweaked anyway. Dial YM font looks nice dark red (same as "ultimate" YMs) but not bold enough although I notice some latest serial gens have reverted back to a less weighty font.

Rehaut? Again, not so sure it isn't different to the various "ultimate" YMs out there.

Definitely more info required here, new case etc? CGs are not shown clearly and I'm betting they don't have the correct U-shape. As for crown position, surely the 2892 (thinner than the 2836 if I'm not mistaken) would not be able to use the same crown position as a 3035 and keep the same rehaut?

All very interesting but as I said, more open and honest details required.

Thanks BT, I was looking in my archives for that pic :D

Wow only 11g? My wrist must be more sensitive than I thought ;)

The watch head is probably relatively heavier, but the diver's extension increases the Sub overall weight. All these weights are measured with all bracelet links intact.

Yeah you're right, the crown position does look really good. Whole new case just for this movement option.. but why the Yachtmaster? Why not the 16610? I would LOVE to see some pictures of this 3035. Its gotta be a gen for $2500 but how did the manufacturer of the watch get hold of a bunch of gen movements? If they finally copied it then we are about to see the newest generation of super-reps... I think we're gunna see a lot of crazy reps im the next 6 months or so

Lonnie

Crown position looks damn good...

At $2500, I doubt it's a clone.

Its gotta be a gen for $2500

You guys don't remember what some of the first Daytonas were selling for back when they first showed up with seconds at 6:00 and the right sudial spacing? If they did rep a 3035, they'd probably try to pass the first dozen or so off as gen to pay off the R&D and then slowly drop the price 'till they saturate the market.

Question in regards to everyones comment on the crown position. Are you guys talking about the alignment of the crown with the case?

Would there be much difference than the current rep? Reason I ask, is the 3035 and 3135 are different. The 3035 would be similar to a 2836-2, correct?

Just like the 3135 is similar to the 2824-2 and 2892-2?

I know you can't fit a 2836-2 in a 3135 case, but you can fit a 2824-2 and 2892-2. But other members have reported with success that they can fit a 2836-2 in a 3035 case. So with that said, wouldn't the crown position be the same whether you had a 2836-2 or 3035? I think they only correct crown position would be with the 2892-2 rep.

You guys don't remember what some of the first Daytonas were selling for back when they first showed up with seconds at 6:00 and the right sudial spacing? If they did rep a 3035, they'd probably try to pass the first dozen or so off as gen to pay off the R&D and then slowly drop the price 'till they saturate the market.

I can't really believe that the Chinese have repped the 3035 in silence without hearing at least some rumors here on the boards. I would have expected it to be launched with a big bang.

But, you newer know with the rep makers.. The Carrera rep was launched in silence.

When looking at the watch from the side.. we are talking about where the hole for the crown and tube is drilled. on rep rolexes (submariners etc), the crown is in the center of the case or slightly lower closer to the caseback. On the gen rolex, the crown hole is closer to the top of the watch or the crystal. This all has to do with the position of the stem in the movement. have a look at the pics of this new yachty on kings website and you will see how high the crown is mounted on the case.. looks just like a gen to me. I believe the movement closest to this is the 2892 but they dont use it for whatever reason. But i dont think a 2892 will fit a gen rolex case... This sounds to me like they've finally copied the rolex movement and yeah if thats the case it will be expensive and then drop in price. i remember when the old goofy subdial daytonas were almost $1500 on websites.. yikes.

Lonnie

Question in regards to everyones comment on the crown position. Are you guys talking about the alignment of the crown with the case?

Would there be much difference than the current rep? Reason I ask, is the 3035 and 3135 are different. The 3035 would be similar to a 2836-2, correct?

Just like the 3135 is similar to the 2824-2 and 2892-2?

I know you can't fit a 2836-2 in a 3135 case, but you can fit a 2824-2 and 2892-2. But other members have reported with success that they can fit a 2836-2 in a 3035 case. So with that said, wouldn't the crown position be the same whether you had a 2836-2 or 3035? I think they only correct crown position would be with the 2892-2 rep.

When looking at the watch from the side.. we are talking about where the hole for the crown and tube is drilled. on rep rolexes (submariners etc), the crown is in the center of the case or slightly lower closer to the caseback. On the gen rolex, the crown hole is closer to the top of the watch or the crystal. This all has to do with the position of the stem in the movement. have a look at the pics of this new yachty on kings website and you will see how high the crown is mounted on the case.. looks just like a gen to me. I believe the movement closest to this is the 2892 but they dont use it for whatever reason. But i dont think a 2892 will fit a gen rolex case... This sounds to me like they've finally copied the rolex movement and yeah if thats the case it will be expensive and then drop in price. i remember when the old goofy subdial daytonas were almost $1500 on websites.. yikes.

Lonnie

Thanks Dizzle, that was my point. If they did use a 3035, the crown position would be no different than the rep as the 3035 sits lower than the 3135. The YM takes a 3135 movement, so even if they used a gen 3035, it would still not look correct. My $$$ would go toward the 2892-2 as the crown positon would be closer to the 3135.

An update of my understanding following a discussion with Ms King.....

1. In all communications since, she now refers to the movt as a 3135 (not 3035);

2. This 3135 is "real genuine" movement - so that puts paid to these clone rumours - I've never known her to be less than completely honest;

3. Pics show new gen spec case to fit c.3135;

4. ETA 2892 version does NOT use this new case, rather the standard rep case;

5. No more 2892 available - seems she only had a couple/few so I guess some people have ponied up the $500 already;

6. I was quoted a different price to that already posted on the 3135 - not sure why, sure I'm a good customer, but a significant (AD-level) discount??? Overpriced to begin with maybe?