When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TrustyTime's Vintage DRSD vs MBW DRSD

lukes

Hello all,

I started looking at Rolex Double Red Seadwellers (DRSD) because of TTK's offering of an entry level DRSD. There is a topic below on this.

However, I've spent the last couple of days reading up on more accurate / expensive ETA models, and considering whether it would be worth saving up for a more accurate DRSD.

I was hoping some of the experts could give us their opinion on TrustyTime's Vintage Sea-Dweller, which he is selling for 228$, as compared to an MBW DRSD sold for roughly 350$-380$ by TTK or Paso.

Andrew - TrustyTime DRSD for 218$

http://www.trustytime88.com/index.php?main...products_id=564

ROLVIN002_1.JPG

ROLVIN002_5.JPG

My initial impressions:

First off, it uses an ETA movement which is always a plus. It looks like it comes with a decent thick case-back, even though he seems to be using a submariner case (11.5mm thickness) rather than the 14.5mm original SD case. Furthermore, he has a thick domed plexiglass.

For some of the experts out there, who have MBW DRSD's, would this be a good-enough middle-of-the-road compromise? Or are there many differences, making the MBW DRSD at 350$ a better option? Note that other than a T39 front glass, I would probably not consider modifying the MBW any further.

So, who has the best value-for-money DRSD?

We're never satisfied, are we.....

:rolleyes:

Edited by lukes

Man you must learn a lot....

You can't compare a CN DRSD with a MBW/MBK DRSD.....

Hi Tribal,

Of course you can't. MBW DRSD is definately superior, mostly because of the case which accepts genuine parts.

The question is, is Trusty's DRSD close enough to the MBW to be good value for money? Especially for someone who doesn't necessarily want to mod further.

Thanks for your input,

L

If you have no intention of making modifications to the watch, I think that you will be well served by Trusty's less expensive version. Consider that 99%+ of the people who see it most likely don't know what it is it the first place. Unless you are into modding and have a desire to spend the dollars necessary to make the MBK/MBW a close second to the gen, keep your money and enjoy the Trusty Sea Dweller. :D

post-175-1190677096_thumb.jpgpost-175-1190677096_thumb.jpg

I'm with jdavis on this one. I bought Paul's DRSD a couple of years ago, which is similar to Andrew's, I believe. It's a smaller case, 38mm, which is actually correct for the 5513/1665/1680 model watches, thin bezel, but workable HE valve- obviously copied after the original Rolex valve- MBW's have a fake valve. Paul's has a domed crystal like Andrew's, and a hollow link bracelet (MBW doesn't have a hollow mid-link bracelet). The only thing I'm not keen on is the yellow markers- too yellow for me. Since then, I've trimmed the cg's, put a watcheandparts pearl in the insert- snapped right in there- and drilled the lug holes. It's a great beater.

I have a WM 1680 and I put on a genuine T-127, a vintage 1978 bezel insert w/ acrylic pearl from my gen 1680 (that's another story), trimmed cg's and the solid mid-link bracelet. It's still a rep.

Now my gen 1680 (white dial) has a new bezel insert (gen), a silver date wheel, a 24-703 crown and tube assembly (the original 702 crown stripped), and a 93150 bracelet (hollow mid-links) and the correct 580 end pieces. And I've spent a goodly amount on it.

My point is, we all have to make financial decisions and like alot of other people, I sometimes look for value in products which aren't necessarily the most expensive. That's why I have quite a few noobs- great beaters, and I do beat my watches. That's why I don't wear the gens when I'm in that mood! Or at least try not to.

The price difference between the CN and the MBK/MBW isn't as much as you might think when you add the $30 shipping for the former.

The MBK has the correct thick case which is the hall mark of the 1665. The CN's is too thin and is closer to that of the 1680. The dial is also considerably better on the MBW specially the white. I have held both of these and there really isn't much comparison between the two. Even in stock form, the MBW is a gorgeous watch with correct dimensions & assembly that can be taken to another level as funds allows should you decide to travel down that road.

It all depends on what you want. :)

It seems that I am reaching the same conclusion others have reached before me, from all I've read. MBW DRSD is the only way to go, if you want a nice vintage Double Red SeaDweller that looks and feels close to the gen. Anything less is just a modified Submariner - and since I already have one of those, there's no point.

Most of the reviews of the DRSD (see By-Tor's for example) were writen over a year ago. I guess I was hoping that after all this time, dealers would've come up with a more accurate case and bezel for the SD. I was wrong...

I'd better start saving up for the MBW then.

For what is worth, my personal conclusion, after all my research and discussions these past few days, is similar to what Jetsons said:

Even in stock form, the MBW is a gorgeous watch with correct dimensions & assembly that can be taken to another level as funds allows should you decide to travel down that road.

It all depends on what you want. :)

Thanks to all for your input!

:D

lukes, great decision and one that you will not regret. I remember when I received the first MBW 1665 and was totally blown away. :D

Another plus of the MBK is that TTK personally inspects these watches before sending them your way. That is a huge plus in this hobby and easily worth a few extra bucks. With very few exceptions, dealers drop ship and you can never be sure of the quality/functionality of what arrives.

Second & third what Stephane stated. B)

if you want a DRSD then get the MBW becasue the cheap ones are totally incorrect and will SCREAM fake to anyone that knows Rolex. FOr a 1680 you can prob get away with modding a cheap one.. but for the sea-dweller you need the proper thicker case and bezel. But it depends what you are looking for in the end. I am a Freak when it comes to reps and need the best options possible.

Lonnie

Hey all,

As I said repeatedly, thanks to all for your support and valuable information!! This is what makes these forums so great! :)

As you all realize, this was not necessarily an issue of "poor". In my view, it's a matter of budgeting, or in other words -

So many reps, so little time (and resources).

I don't think you can approach this hobby by buying all the 350$ reps you encounter. So I've tried to find value for money - if I can get 95% close to the gen for 130$ then I would prefer not spending 250$ to get to 97%. You can imagine I am still growing my collection.

A vintage Rolex though, like the DRSD, is a different proposition. Still a rep, but so close to a gen - it has to be really really good. A dream come true in a sense. And so, saving up a little more to acquire this beautiful watch still represents "value for money", in my eyes. Most of all, I want the "feel" of a gen on my wrist, which I realized from our discussions that a less expensive watch wouldn't be able to offer. Of course this is very subjective.

I will post photos of my MBW DRSD when I finally get it. Let the hunt begin...

Thanks again,

L

Edited by lukes

Lukes,

I was aware that putting that quote might have been taken wrongly. I was not implying anything about you, or anyone else being 'poor' just thought it was a great saying and wanted to share it. Of course, i agree value for money is vital, that is why I recommend the MBW. I have one and feel that even at the higher price it is well worth the money.

Let us know what you decide to buy, and don't forget if you get an MBW it opens up a whole world of modding possibilities!

Cheers,

Dieselpower

HAHA thats good

If you want a correct vintage rolex then get the MBW. If you want a new 16610 then get a $100 noobmariner.

Heres a pic of my MBW franken with gen superdome. You can see how much thicker the case is by looking at the 580 end links that are from a thinner submariner. Also notice the much thicker/taller bezel and the lug holes have been drilled to accept gen size springbars...

CIMG0909.jpg

I completely agree with Tribal & Diesel.

Don't be a wimp....

Get the MBW.