When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Paypal Warning - Trc Warning!!!

Edge

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So very very sorry to hear about this Chris, what a crock of shit to wake up too, please do keep us updated on whether you will get a full refund for your 467 Pounds.

Any progress on tracking these scum down?

Ken

you can STILL have a keylogger/trojan on your computer, even if all programs dont find anything.

why? because good scammers program their own stuff, which will NEVER be detected by antivirus/spyware software and such.

so better reinstall windows! i cant imagine how else they could have gotten your password, unless you responed to a phising mail!

i cant imagine how else they could have gotten your password, unless you responed to a phising mail!

I still stand by my password sniffer on the login processing page of RWG1 theory. It's easier than a keylogger and explains why they don't have his RWI/RWG2 login/passes.

good scammers program their own stuff, which will NEVER be detected by antivirus/spyware software and such.

You're assuming the vector went undetected. I can imagine a payload hiding, but the vector itself would have been seen. I don't picture Chris as the type to not use a firewall against RPCs or the bloke that installs anything for a hope of free pr0n ...

I was in and out of RWG1 just before it was taken down, so I suppose that the hacker has my password. Although it was so weak, he didn't need to hack the site - he could have guessed it, quicker :-)

I used the same password there as I do (did) on all the rep forums.

They have now all been changed.

Thankfully, I never used that password on any financial sites.

I am really sorry to hear that, I can't even imagine how you are feeling right now. I am very careful with my pp account. I never reply to their email at all.

I just change my password on the board and pp.

Just to be on the safe side.

Edge I can see that you are a person of Integrity.

Thanks Edge.

Cib

I still stand by my password sniffer on the login processing page of RWG1 theory. It's easier than a keylogger and explains why they don't have his RWI/RWG2 login/passes.

that would only tell them his RWG1 password and nothing more. I doubt he used the same password for RWG1 and pp!

You're assuming the vector went undetected. I can imagine a payload hiding, but the vector itself would have been seen. I don't picture Chris as the type to not use a firewall against RPCs or the bloke that installs anything for a hope of free pr0n ...

keyloggers can send their stuff via eMail or whatsoever. If he just has a hardware firewall, It will easiely go through. also good programms can higjack firewalls too and/or bypass them! maybe the keylogger placed itself in another exe (IE.exe for example) and he just klicked on "allow Internet Explorer to acces the internet".

and you get infected with those unknown keyloggers faster than you can think, especialy when you are targeted by someone! maybe someone on the forum send him a prepared web-link which installed the keylogger? maybe someone send him a prepared rarfile? everything is possible!

Edited by slay

that would only tell them his RWG1 password and nothing more. I doubt he used the same password for RWG1 and pp!

... and ...

MY RWG1 TRC and pp passwords were all the same

Like I said, it's most likely a login sniffer on the old RWG site.

A new day! Hopefully today will go a bit better for you ;)

This sort of thing can take months to sort out even with a properly regulated bank, let alone pp. The immediate generosity of everyone here is breathtaking, but there are a few avenues to look at before the dust settles too.

It sounds like you're proactively pushing pp's buttons and getting good advice to boot, so I'm only throwing a few thoughts on the pile.

Clearly, when problems happen with pp the miserable experience and frustration is well known. It is more likely than not, it seems, that dealing with them is hopeless.

You have very little contractually you can work with, nor in terms of financial regulation, and they are not concerned with public opinion or relations.

However, I do think that they tend to take a path of least resistance. This is the rationale for some of their moves.

So while they are unlikely to put up a fight for your 'e money' (as they so kindly call it) - they aren't going to put up much of a fight for the account of the person that ripped you off either.

pp are the king of chargebacks and refunds - and as I understand it the funds were moved from your account to another pp account as 'a purchase'. Although it was off ebay - your best point of attack (and I think you are already doing this) is to undermine this so-called 'sale' - there are no goods and they never arrive, the seller can't show any evidence of you buying anything, etc.

Use the grief of sellers on paypalsucks as a blueprint to see how bastard buyers manage to get their funds back (even off-ebay), if you see what I mean.

In terms of civil liability there basically is none, and of course it's expensive and impractical to go down this route. However, if pp are following a path of least resistance, there is always the off-chance that talking the talk might get you an extra yard or two.

pp staff may be used to hiding behind their terms of service and the lack of banking legislation - so what you have to do is to look elsewhere for your rights and to get information on the person who ripped you off (at some point along the chain they have to get the money 'out')

One possibility is that although pp were free and easy when your account was hacked, a whole range of new common law and criminal law responsibilities might have fallen upon them the minute that you told them that you had been defrauded. Once you tell them that you have been defrauded, their subsequent actions take on a new light. I don't want to overplay this, but it is outside their terms of service that your rights lie. They cannot contract out of criminal liability. Fraud is a serious crime - at the least the police may be in a position to obtain IP addresses and account activity about who did this to you from pp.

Again, the hope would be that, in the face of this, pp would take the path of least resistance.

Fingers crossed for you, in whatever actions you take. Like so many here, I am happy to pitch in.

Edited by cornerstone

... and ...

Like I said, it's most likely a login sniffer on the old RWG site.

Oh, I didnt read that one. But I still wonder how they got his pp eMail address (unless of course its the same he signed up with on RWG).

Edited by slay

Oh, I didnt read that one. But I still wonder how they got his pp eMail address (unless of course its the same he signed up with on RWG).

I use EBAY alot and also sell a lot on forums and stuff so hundreds of people have my business email address for pp. It is not the email I signed up to the forums with, but still easily obtainable as I post it in a couple of listings, and have given it to hundreds of members for payments.

man that sucks, im getting tthreats through email , and i dont even know the guy , i edited caust i want to see what it is all about before i expose him

im for sure it it someone that is bitter or got the ax, i just am not ready to say who till i know for sure and it is coming very soon i hope