When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ever Heard Of Dirk Straps?

Willith

Well, most of us have heard of Dirk straps, named after the fine gentleman who makes them Dirk Grandry. He never thought to trademark his own name for the straps he made. Well, someone else did and is using him name now to market his own line of crap, I mean straps:

Link to Paneristi

How low do you have to be to take another man's name and use it to make money under false pretenses? :thumbdown:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that's a pretty good read.

Outside of that discussion, the question I have is this, I can't have a gen strap to go with my rep? According to the Risti's, that's bad form. My thing is I just want a nice strap, or bracelet for my watch, regardless of what it is.

it must be difficult to [censored] off as many people as he does.

also i am right there with whomever it was over there that said that 'as soon as his next 40% off special comes around he'll have all the sheep singing his praises' (paraphrased)

and i love how they call him E-Hole

I assume this will effect his business in a negative way. Can`t imagine why anybody wants to do business with such a lowlife.

Hey whoa, your forgetting about the 40% off sales and even better all his free give aways, I mean like theres a lot of guys that will tell you the sun shines out of his E-Hole because of his suck suck sales. :blink:

Ken

Hey whoa, your forgetting about the 40% off sales and even better all his free give aways, I mean like theres a lot of guys that will tell you the sun shines out of his E-Hole because of his suck suck sales. :blink:

Ken

I gather from your reaction and correct me if i`m wrong, you are not an Elliot fan?

The whole watch industry is about copy and paste anyway.

Btw, that's typical Ameraican way to do business.

Every coporation in US is doing similar thing. Sorry if you don't like it.

Aren't you part of the Elliot Fan Club? :huh:

Where is proof of a trademark registration of Dirk's name?

This is a point I was about to make. Other than the fact he has written 'TC Dirk TM' on his website, I have found no evidence of this actually being trademarked.

This looks a lot like 'passing off' - it's possible even against non-trademarked names.

Yes, found it. Bastard.

According to Wikipedia, TM is not a registered mark. It is a claim of right in the mark that is couched in use of the mark in commerce. The real Dirk should probably register his "Dirk" name in connection with his straps. He should still be able to, and he has the longer history of use of the name connected with watch straps. I love Wikipedia.

Aren't you part of the Elliot Fan Club? :huh:

Aren't you part of the Elliot Enemy Club? :huh:

Unfortunately that you can't make unbiased statement. There is no buddy between me and Elliot, but definitely no enemy. I never understand why would people hate someone that they have never seen to such an extent.

Well, I will buy from him when he posts a good deal. That's it. All these fans vs enenmy thing are just childish. So if I don't follow you guys to beat the hell out of Elliot, then I become Ellit's fans? Come on. ..I am not here defending Elliot's ass. Actually I don't even care about what has happened in the past.

It is definitely unethical if Elliot stole the dirk's name and trademarked it. (MAybe someone can prove it?) But this happens too often in the real business world. In fact, the whole watch industries copy around and that was my point. I am sorry that you have to view it from a biased angle. So I guess, from now on, everyone has to start the sentence by, "Elliot sucks...and...blah blah blah..."

Never underestimate the hatred of a person behind computer. Don't you think you guys are wasting too much time to bash Elliot? Can we spend more time on watch? I guess we don't come here for BS like that. I don't see the title of the forum being "Elliot Enemy Group"

Edited by cwai02

Reading on in WIKI, "unregistered trademark rights may be enforced by way of a lawsuit for passing off, while the exclusive rights which attach to a registered mark can be enforced by way of an action for trademark infringement."

Clicking on 'passing off' in the article: "Passing off is a common law tort which can be used to enforce unregistered trademark rights. Passing off essentially occurs where the reputation of party A is misappropriated by party B, such that party B misrepresents this reputation and damages the goodwill of party A. The law of passing off prevents one person from misrepresenting his or her goods or services as being the goods and services of the plaintiff, and also prevents one person from holding out his or her goods or services as having some association or connection with the plaintiff when this is not true."