When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Some commonly pronounced mistakes

anton

Well, I constantly encounter conversation with some so-called watch "experts", and here is a composite of some errors I've come across...coming from the most novice of aficionados to expert salespeople to appraisers!

Brand...................Error.....................Correct Pronounciation

TAG Heuer............TAG Hew-er..............TAG Hoy-er

Panerai.................Pan-er-ray................Pan-er-eye

ETA......................E-T-A........................Etta

Breitling................Brayt-ling/Brit-ling.....Bright-ling

Patek Philippe.......Pah-teek Philippe........Pah-tech Philippe

Montblanc.............Mont-blank..................Mon-blah-nk

Hublot..................Hugh-Blot...................Hugh-Bloh

Whenever I'm at the AD, I laugh to myself when "trained" salespeople say the names of brands like this. But I always refrain myself from correcting them. One time I did, they treated me hostile!

And please, throw in your experienced error!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And please, throw in your experienced error!

Jaquet Droz.....Ja-qu-ette Drahz (draz...etc)....Jhackay Dro

Man, I suck at typing out the wonked and proper pronunciations phonetically. I think people get the idea though

This one always gets to me...ADs and WISes alike mispronounce this one...I just chuckle to myself, and quickly begin referring to it as a JD so I don't really start laughing! That said, it's easy since plenty of people don't know the brand, so I'm mostly asked what I'm wearing, which then allows me to tell the person in question how to properly pronounce it.

Another fantastic thread, Anton! I think I've seen one or two like it here, but it's always good to refresh our pronunciations. :)

Here is my beloved Sssurfer's pronunciation guide to Panerai-related words (mp3):

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=1729

From Gemnation -- using English phonetics:

EXAMPLE - Yankee: Yang-KEY.

Audemars Piguet: OH-duh-MAHR PEA-GAY

A. Lange & Sohne: AH Lung-Geh Oohnt Sew-neh

Baume & Mercier: bohm AY mer-SEE-AY

Bedat: bid-UT

Blancpain: blunk-PAN

Breguet: breh-GAY

Breitling: brEYE-tling

Bulgari: bull-gar-EE

Cartier: Car-TEA-AY

Chopard: Show-Par

Concord: Con-cord

Corum: Core-oom

Ebel: AY-bell

Franck Muller: Fronk MEW-ler

Glashutte: Glass-WHO-tuh

Girard-Perregaux: Jee-rar Pear-ago

Hublot: OOH-blow

IWC: EYE-DOUBLE-YOU-SEE

Jaeger-LeCoultre: YAY-ger Le-Cool-ter

Longines: Lonn-JEAN

Movado: Moe-vah-doh

Omega: Oh-MAY-ga

Oris: Oris

Panerai: Pun-a-rye

Parmigiani: Par-mi-GEE-ah-NEE

Patek Philippe: Pah-tek Fee-LEAP

Philippe Charriol: Fee-LEAP Shar-ee-ole

Piaget: PEE-ah-JAY

Rado: Rah-doe

Raymond Weil: Ray-mand WHILE

Richard Mille: REE-Shar MEAL

Rolex: Row-Lex

TAG Heuer: Tahg Hoy-er

Ulysse Nardin: YOU-lis Nur-den

Vacheron Constantin: Va-sher-own Cone-Stun-tuhn

Zenith: ZEE-nith

EDIT: Unfortunately, we English-speakers have a tendency to add an "ay" sound to Latin names. Breguet above is thus not Breh-GAY and Cartier is not Car-tee-AY, but (difficult to render this correctly, because it's said FAST):

Breh-geh

Carrr-tee-eh

Just note that in French, the tendency is to pronounce the last syllable, whereas in English the default is on the first. Don't feel embarrassed to pronounce something "right" because it sounds affected.

Tangentially, when I was at my local Blockbusters, I heard a man ask if Denzel Washington's film was out yet, pronouncing Dej

Perhaps the Asian pronunciation (as used at source) would be more edifying...certainly more amusing!!!

I recall TTK & I looking blankly at each other while an excited lady supplier in Bangkok waved and shouted repeatedly 'Have Hoo-lops!'. It was a while before we realised she didnt have something contageous, but finally had the Hublots we'd been asking her for weeks to get !!

Others you might need to know:

Lolecks

Oh,mee-gar

Fank

ko-lum

Bi-tling

Boobalee

Dee-on

What fun we have!

my beloved Sssurfer

:wub: heartily reciprocated, V. :wub:

And congrats on your guide! :good:

Lolecks

Oh,mee-gar

Fank

ko-lum

Bi-tling

Boobalee

Dee-on

What fun we have!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps the Asian pronunciation (as used at source) would be more edifying...certainly more amusing!!!

I recall TTK & I looking blankly at each other while an excited lady supplier in Bangkok waved and shouted repeatedly 'Have Hoo-lops!'. It was a while before we realised she didnt have something contageous, but finally had the Hublots we'd been asking her for weeks to get !!

Others you might need to know:

Lolecks

Oh,mee-gar

Fank

ko-lum

Bi-tling

Boobalee

Dee-on

What fun we have!

When you say Asian, what do you mean specifically? Surely, you can't mean that EVERYONE in the Asian (and for you UK readers I mean East Asian and/or SE Asian) region pronounces it this way?

@ Vbarrett: IWC: EYE-DOUBLE-YOU-SEE

If you can't pronounce an acronym, then you have no business purchasing any kind of watch.

Patek Philippe: Pah-tek Fee-LEAP

I beg to differ. There was an episode of "The Oprah Winfrey Show" a few years ago where she was looking through expensive items celebrities enjoy purchasing. Anyway, some representative from PP came down and showed her a few watches.

Oprah remarked that she alwasy pronounced it "Paah-tek PHILLIP"

The man replied that it was "Pah-Tek Feel - ee - pay"

To this day I will not forget that episode and I wish I had taped it because I think she actually dropped the watch at one point. But back then for me all watches were the same!!

254880~Oprah-Winfrey-Posters.jpg

"I ALWAYS THOUGHT IT WAS "PA-TEK-PHIL-LIP"

"No. It's not."

Breguet is pronounced differently to every suggestion I've seen here. As far as I can tell, it's pronounced Bruh-Geh with emphasis on neither syllable.

Oh, and Blancpain is pronounced Mother's Pride. ;)

I awlays thought "Breguet" was pronounced as "Bray-Zhay", not "Bray-U-Get" like a jeweler once said. Oh, and same jeweler said "Blahnk-Pain" for Blancpain when I assumed it was "Blahnk-Pahn"

Boys, life must be hard to you whose languages do not have a 1:1 (uhm... ok, 0.9:1) writing/pronounce relation! :lol:

i remember walking into a big watch store in Vegas... i asked if they carried Panerai (pan-er-eye) and the salesman looked at me like i was an idiot and said "its pronounced "pan-air-eee" the way you would say canary (the bird). I was like "uhm ok buddy" haha. My Italian buddy i was with started laughing at him. It was good. They were actually a Panerai AD, among other brands and their sales staff cant even pronounce the brand name, brutal.

ROTFLMAO!!!

Considering one of those was for my mum, I suspect, thanks for the Hoo-lops!!

Boobalee

Bvlgari. :lol: :lol:

When I read this, through our tears of laughter, my mother figured it out. She's a really un-PC lady who frequently calls our local Chinese restaurant to place a take-out order:

"2 rarge Flied lice wi' chrim, plea"

And by God if they don't have 2 large fried rice with shrimp waiting for her to pick up. :lol:

EDIT: Read this back to her, and she said I forgot the 'rarge'.

(Spare me if this shocks anyone. You think no one has ever made fun of her German accent. Lighten up people!)

You must be unfamiliar with IPA. :D

Surely I am. We have no need for an IPA here. What we write defines [almost] exactly how it must be pronounced. :D