When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Chinese and "gen" MBK Nautilus

Pix

post-22-1192632577_thumb.jpg

My MBK with black dial

I had a similar experience to TTK in a local AD with my MBK Nautilus.

While in the shop that carries many high end watches including PP, a sales member noticed my Nautilus, asking me simply how long I had owned it. Without close examination of it, she asked me whether it was a 3800. My reply was simply yes. She then went on to ask if I had seen the new 5711? Yes, I replied, I had seen them on line. She then went on to talk about the relative unavailabilty of the 5711 for most AD's in our area. When more closely examining my Nautilus (while on my wrist), she stated that the watch was really handsome, etc. I felt fine showing it to her, without close examination of course.

I do not recommend wearing rep watches necessarily into AD's, but in this case I felt no trepidation.

The shop had a new model of the Nautica with the rubber strap and checkered dial. I don't particulaly

care for that model, and at retail (in this dealer) at 16,500.00, I told her I felt as though it was over priced. Her comment then was...'Well if we are able to offer the new 5711, it will retail at around 22,000.00!

For my 430.00 and the presence the MBK Nautilus has on the wrist...much less its comfort and quality of finish, I think that the 400.00 bucks is certainly worth the money. In many recent auctions 3700 and 3800 jumbos are selling for in excess of 50,000.00.

And, by the way, TTK is also correct in saying that the center seconds hand has been ordered on past jumbo models since the mid 1970's. A jumbo with seconds hand is not all that a rareity.

Although I have not attempted removing the movement for the MBK model, I assume that it is the same procedure as a gen, i.e., open the top of the case, remove the sweeping center seconds hand, and dial, to work on the movement. Perhaps a member like Euno or Ubi have performed that operation.

After much thought I pulled the trigger and purchased the Nautilus from TTK. It is simply amazing! While admittedly not 100% perfect...who cares? I can wear it and those who don't know what a PP is admire it and those who do know what a PP is are in awe. Beneath the cuff of a Charvet shirt who is going to question whether or not it has a seconds hand???

Thanks TTK.

im always a fan of MBW watches, with the exception of chinese VCO since it has the quality of comfort. ThisPP naughty is one of the watch that i have been considering between the two. The MBW is good but sounds like it will take a while for me to get MBW from TTK and it requires skype to order. after this article, i hope someone will have a comparism for both so we all know what to pick!

Haven't there been members here that have removed the second hands themselves? I'd be interested to hear them speak up.

I think Klink did, I'm planning on sending mines to The Zigmeister next year for a full servicing and remove the seconds hand. The Zigmeister recommended "cutting" the hands off which would leave the middle of it but you wouldn't be able to see it moving.

im always a fan of MBW watches, with the exception of chinese VCO since it has the quality of comfort. ThisPP naughty is one of the watch that i have been considering between the two. The MBW is good but sounds like it will take a while for me to get MBW from TTK and it requires skype to order. after this article, i hope someone will have a comparism for both so we all know what to pick!

Well, it's unfortunately very unlikely that someone has both, to make a real comparison :(

I'm ready to do it...provided TTK sends me a free sample :lol:

Another way is trying to arrange a trip to thaland and carrying your PP naughty at the MBW mall. Its how I got all my MBW watches. The most difficult thing is trying to convince my girlfriend why we always have to go to Bangkok for vacation.

TTK,

you just made my day !

:D

A deep thank you.

I must run and apologize to my dealer.

Any idea however how to remove this bl**dy thing from the case ?

TTK was talking about winding the crown, as it winds in one direction only.

I think your problem is different, in that it only winds when rotated in one direction, indicating that you don't have an ETA movement inside which would be bi-directional.

Hope that helps clear that up, but we still don't know what's under the hood!

I think you have to remove the screws at the "ears" and then lift the case up to get access to the innards. No idea what to do next, sorry. I'm too scared to break it than try it!

Good luck.

Mmm...that's why I corrected my initial post. I'm afraid there's a misunderstanding on my question (sorry for the bad phrasing).

So I'm back to the first feeling. What's in this Nautilus ? :g:

Runs 28,8 kbph, rotor winds only in one direction. Datewheel looks like the one in my AP, which is confirmed to be an ETA 2824.

I have opened the thing already, but can't access the back of the movement, and I won't force it down, I would bend the stem.

It seems indeed, as suggested before, that removing the hands and the dial are compulsory :(

Sorry, same old question : does anyone have experience with the Sellita ?

I bought an ultimate PO about February this year, advertised as "Swiss ETA" turned out to be a Selita SW200. The movement has worked flawlessly and keeps great time, never more than +/-3 seconds per 24 hours. The only thing that makes me think you don't have this movement is that I'm fairly sure the SW200 winds in both directions. Don't know if this helps or not.

I don’t think that it’s a sellita because a sellita should be as expensive as a gen eta and also the sw 200 it’s a bidirectional winding movement… well, by the price it should be an asian clone or some old eta, but I really don’t know. How is it that any one doesn’t have a clue how to remove the nautilus movement (cause i don

Edited by emuozz

Small evening shot...

Sorry, the colour is not accurate (light's not adapted).

It's Chinese, but not crappy ;)

More in the small review I'm preparing for the W.E.

23724561sl6.jpg

What version is the AP in the picture.

Doesn't look like an MBK by looking at the clasp and hex bezel screws.

Is it a Jumbo or 36mm?

Chinese as well... You all know I'm cheap ;)

Have a look in my signature, I reviewed the thing.

For the Sellita, I know it's not worse and not probably cheaper, just different. And it tends to replace the ETA in reps as well, due to ETA getting more and more expensive.

BTW, as these movements are not available for sales (I mean at our level), I think that basically no one can really say how cheaper/expensive they are.

@Jeff : can you prove it ? ;):lol:

The mbwk version definetly has a eta in it. My watchsmith took it appart (i dropped it,and the mvt stopped), and he said it was superb quality.

The way to work on the movement, is to remove the hands and dial. Its the only way to get to the release stem. After that, its all easy:-)

The mbwk version definetly has a eta in it. My watchsmith took it appart (i dropped it,and the mvt stopped), and he said it was superb quality.

The way to work on the movement, is to remove the hands and dial. Its the only way to get to the release stem. After that, its all easy:-)

Still don't quite get it. The stem release button is on the back side of the movement. Even if by removing the hands and dial, how to turn the movement to the back side? There shouldn't be enough room to tuen the movement 180 degrees with the stem attached. Did you see how your watchsmith do it?

I didnt see him do it, but the movment sits loose in the case when the upper part is removed. I dont think the movement matches the dial size, so i suppose if you pull the stem all the way out, you can flip it over. Thats what he said anyway.

• 4 years later...

I didnt see him do it, but the movment sits loose in the case when the upper part is removed. I dont think the movement matches the dial size, so i suppose if you pull the stem all the way out, you can flip it over. Thats what he said anyway.

Sorry for bringing this back up from the dead, but it's the first time I see an explanation on how to access the movement on the MBW Nautilus! It would have been easier to put a split stem it seems. I wonder how the dial hold on the movement as it can't be tightened with screws obviously. Think I'll have to take a peek at mine to confirm it's an ETA and to see which one it is.