When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Eta

yes, that is what i ment and i did do some research.

If by swiss you mean "swiss" as in the swiss-vs-asian distinction in replicas, then yes. If you mean "Made in Switzerland" then no. If you mean "Made for a Swiss company" then yes.

I give you three options and you say "yes, that one" ... :D

ps. Welcome to the forum. Pack an umbrella.

If by swiss you mean "swiss" as in the swiss-vs-asian distinction in replicas, then yes

Sorry for not making myself clear.

If by swiss you mean "swiss" as in the swiss-vs-asian distinction in replicas, then yes

Sorry for not making myself clear.

That's ok.

You need to be careful using the "Swiss" distinction in replicas. It's commonly used by scam sites to make something sound better than it is. Here, where we actually care about what goes inside the reps, we talk about specific movements as opposed to blanket terms.

You will find no reference to A1+ Swiss replicas here, and no-one will claim their reps were made by an off-shoot of Rolex using back-door surplus parts or swiss technicians.

Inseat, you'll find ETA2836, ETA2824, Asian 7750@21, 7750@28, Asian 21j ...

• 2 weeks later...
MOVEMENT: ETA UNITAS 6497-2 HAND WOUND MOVEMENT

Does this mean its swiss?

What I would like to know is, "How can you tell?"

I can tell the difference between the ETA 2836 and the Asian autos I have seen easy enogh, same with the Valjoux vs Asian copy (I think), but I have no earthly clue how to know whether the Unitas handwounds are genuine swiss, or an Asian copy.

With those, I depend on the Dealers I buy from, but one of the Dealers I buy from tells me that they accept the manufacturer's word s they wouldn't know the difference themselves.

What is a true mystery to me is the lack of an Asian copy of the Rolex movement. Considering the fact that the reps are getting so good that a good copy movement would set the secondary market on its ear, I am surprised nobody has made that yet.

Can anyone clarify - offer learned comment?

Bill

well if you are just a little less lazy...and do a research..you would know...like this, posting this "interesting question" in the Hi! I'm...section....you are going to recive NO ANSWER...

Well this is the newb section and the forum subtitle SAYS it is the place to ask newb questions... :huh:

This is also the place to ask any newbie questions.

• 2 weeks later...
Reps are available with genuine 6947-2 movements... and with Asian copies of this movement,

Experts have declared that the Asian copy is a bloody good movement.

Honest dealers will specify if their watch has a Swiss or Asian movement.

The Asian costs less than the Swiss... but lacks the pedigree

Your call...

With what I've been able to gather from some of the answers I've gotten to this question is that trying to make a distinction between "Made for Switzerland", "Modified and finished in Switzerland", "Swiss Made" and "Swiss Movement" will drive you nuts. Bottom line as I understand it is that ETA movements are made in China for ETA and shipped to Switzerland for some finshing touches to be labeled "Swiss Made". It is somewhat of a fallacy that these "swiss made" labeled movements are in some way inherently superior to the asian made movements by virtue of their pedigree since that pedigree does not truly exist. Now, of course, in house movements by Rolex, Girrard Peregeaux, Audemars, Patek etc do have this pedigree but they are not available to you and me, and to the replica factories, as retail movements. That is not to impune the accuracy and reliability of these ETA movement designs because some of them, the 2836, the 2824, the 2892 and the 7750, are tried and true movements that have proven their reliability over decades. I guess what I'm trying to say is "Swiss Made" when it comes to ETA movements is not a very important differentiating label. An ETA design made in China without the ETA stamp can be just as reliable.

• 2 weeks later...
What I would like to know is, "How can you tell?"

I can tell the difference between the ETA 2836 and the Asian autos I have seen easy enogh, same with the Valjoux vs Asian copy (I think), but I have no earthly clue how to know whether the Unitas handwounds are genuine swiss, or an Asian copy.

With those, I depend on the Dealers I buy from, but one of the Dealers I buy from tells me that they accept the manufacturer's word s they wouldn't know the difference themselves.

What is a true mystery to me is the lack of an Asian copy of the Rolex movement. Considering the fact that the reps are getting so good that a good copy movement would set the secondary market on its ear, I am surprised nobody has made that yet.

Can anyone clarify - offer learned comment?

Bill

If you look at the bridge plate under the balance wheel it will be stamped ETA - no stamp if it's asian. And it's not true that the asian 6497 is as well made as the ETA. I personally would not have an asian one as I have had a few through my hands that have had problems - not least of which has been the separation of some of the gears rendering the watch useless. I know that a couple of members here have had the same problems.

Guest overboosted

Easiest way for me to tell is the tick marks for adjustment. On the chinese copies they are stickers, that come off a little too easily. On "swiss" movements they are engraved.

82462-30094.jpg82462-30095.jpg