When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Should the new SeaDweller be classed as a super rep?

FxrAndy

Should the new SeaDweller be classed as a super rep?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Should the new SeaDweller be classed as a super rep?

• Yes
    • No

its not the most accurate Rep out there - but by far the best modern Seadweller.

i think its on the same level like the noob - Submariner ... both have faults,

but are nice Reps.

i don't think there will be ever a better version of the Seadweller - so

if you like this Rolex-model - jump on it ;)

even unmodified - i think only owners of the gen could spot the differences.

cheers,

Frank

And the pearl.

I'm not sure that either of those things could be seen from a distance. I guess it depends on what you call a distance? Sitting across a table (or a bar), it's going to be difficult to see, clearly, that the CG's are incorrect, or that the pearl is wrong. Now if you're right beside someone, then it's likely you'd be able to see that these details are wrong. But at that distance, you can also see the incorrect logo on a UPO dial, but a UPO is considered by many to be a Super Rep.

In any event, I get your point. Not sure if I agree, but I see where you're coming from.

too many easily fixable flaws that the factory overlooked or cut corners on. Crown guards being the #1 problem as always, and why cant they make a proper pearl or insert? If they spent another $10 and another couple of hours in setting up the manufacturing process then they could have had a super rep.

NOT a super rep by todays standards.

Now I'm intrigued!!! :wacko: - and more than a little bit embarassed :blush: - more than two decades in the industry and I'm still learning...I've heard of a few guys saying they needed to manually release the gas from their watches during decompression and there I was assuming that the HEV on the Sea Dweller had to be depressed only to now find out that it deploys automatically in the opposite direction when the pressure inside the watch exceeds the exterior pressure - no wonder my trusted dealer didn't respond to my question lol.

I asked the guys in the chambers about this tonight and they understood why I would have thought that because many watches used (including the Seamaster) in the industry have to done manually - it didn't stop them ripping me for it though lol :bangin: . I was only slightly less embarassed when one of the divers (who doesn't own an SD) and a few of the topside crew said they thought it needed to be manually pressed as well so it wasn't just me that learned something new today :doh: .

Apparently the design is very clever and is theoretically working all the time so the 'functional' HEV in the rep could be true and we have an idea as to how this could be tested. We are taking measures to ensure there will be no damage to the divers or the chamber if it does explode during decompression but if it survives I suppose we can assume that it does work if, before we start the decompression, the diver unscrews the crown to its maximum extent to allow Heliox into the watch then screw the crown back in and start the decompression.

Many thanks for the info FxrAndy and those original old Comex valve sketches are brilliant - and confirmed my previous assumptions about how the HEV worked were nonsense. Apparently the instructions for some gens do state that manual HEV's should never be used in the water...and one of the divers I spoke to about this tonight who owns a gen SD thinks he remembers seeing something about never using the HEV in the water in the instructions he got with his SD SportsRider - and I can recall listening to many conversations over the years about the Submariner vs the Sea Dweller and all the arguing back and forth about the HEV...I just didn't realise it worked in the opposite direction because it was always referred to as the HEV button - :oops:

Quick Update - no diving today because of weather, should be back in the water tomorrow if weather forecast correct - SSD working well after 24 hours+ in Heliox saturation and first deep water dive

I have the watch in hand. It's nice. The CGs are a problem since they are SO tight to the crown. When you file them, it's hard (impossible?) to get the midpoint of the CG away from the crown without the CG becomming too thin. That's my major beef. Pearl is not as bad as photos, but needs replacing. Rehaut does not look exact by any means, but the bevel on the glass makes it hard to see what's going on in that area, so I wouldn't worry about it. Springbars on mine do need just a bit of a bend to hit the holes, which I don't like. The crown tube is GLUED in there!

I would say this is a step up from the noob for sure. Next purchase will have to have the CGs exact from the factory.

I agree with Jet and Pugs. Nice rep, but definitely not a "super rep".

There are too many issues with it. Pearl, bezel, crown guards, and bad SELs aside, I can't get over the rehaut profile. It doesn't seem to bother the membership that much, but personally... I simply can't get over it, it looks nothing like the gen. Maybe it's not that bad "in the flesh" though.

dwelleruz4.jpg

Here's the King's earlier rep (it was only available with gen movement), which is superior to this released one in every possible way (besides the maxi-dial). I hope they'll release a 2892 version with this case... it's absolutely brilliant. I'm just afraid that the case used in the pictures was genuine. Somebody should ask King.

ROLEX-352-6.jpg

Rehaut does not look exact by any means, but the bevel on the glass makes it hard to see what's going on in that area, so I wouldn't worry about it. Springbars on mine do need just a bit of a bend to hit the holes, which I don't like. The crown tube is GLUED in there!

I agree with you about the rehaut. Not correct, but with that crystal, its not so easy to notice. (you must be anal to notice it! :lol: )

What about the tube? Glued? :o

I'm studying the photos, because I hadn't decided yet if I should buy or not this SD. It looks damn good.

Dial is amazing. DW font is correct, but it looks too big (compared to the gen).

Many flaws, of course. But not so difficult to fix.

Great rep out of the box. (IMHO, obviously)

For the life of me, I can't understand why the replica gurus cant get this simple watch replication correct. It seems every time a certain issue is resolved, 2-3 others crop up. The Omega SMP Chrono is so much more complicated and so freeking close to the genuine that I have considered punting my genuine and getting the rep...why cant these guys get a 40 year old, three hand center post design right and do it consistantly? Does every Sub/SD replica have to come out of China with the wrong crown guard shape? Why can't these simple shape and detail issues be resolved?

:brow:

I have to confess that I was very exited about getting a modern SD replica...and probably contributed to the hype for this Super Sea Dweller.

It was promising, but it's not a "super" at all...

-Crystal is bad (too visible crown or no crown at all), rehaut tickness is off too (despite the numerous pics that members spent a lot of energy to publish here), the case is still not any better than any other Rolie rep, insert confusion, HEV, ....and so on.

This is not a super rep :(

We will NEVER see a super rep of Rolex, forget it.

There must be reasons that we do not understand for this situation but I'm sure of that; no super rep of Rolex will ever exist.

Look at the MBK caseback that were wrong for years, but the watch and dials were great...

Now the caseback is correct but the dial is bad!

:whistling:

Some of the members here are looking for the graal for 10 years almost... :angry:

The only way to have a super rep is :

1) buy a gen (safe but expensive and of course not allways possible in case of a single red)

2) invest 1.000$ or even much more in a replica which will remain a replica forever but will at least look so close that we can enjoy it (my choice).

Would you ever have the money and the opportunity to pay several millions for a Van Gogh or would you pay 10K for a "perfect" copy?

If your answer is NO way to both questions, then get yourself a good "photo" of it and frame it.

That is what we are doing in fact with our reps and I enjoy it very much because I love these Rolies and want them on my wrist Daily.

But, I cannot afford a genuine of 30.000$ and surely not a collection of 1.000.000 $

Things changes, my modern SD will be a genuine.

And Rolex should say thanks to RWG by the way.

The collectors here with their super SD were so disappointing again (after their pretended so called perfect or ultimate Subs) that I decided to pass on their replica of the modern SD.

For the first time, I seriously consider to get myself a genuine.

Quantity over quality ?

I used to own over 60 watches a couple of months ago.

I'm thinking about reducing to as few as 10 or 15 now ...including the Tissot and Swatch.

Look at how much HBB and IWC whatever they name it (Cousteau?) you can buy from members for a fraction of the price these days.

They were so desirable when they came out and so expensive!

- The UPO are carrying the worst crowns/tubes we ever saw,

- VC Overseas bracelets cannot be resized,

- my speedy costs me 4 different tools to add a link and I just ordered a leather strap finally as I couldn't add that bloody link!

- the 3717 has bad day date wheels, and do not forget to set the date at the right time or you will screw the mvt!

- the TimeWalker is a pain resizing too...

- the wonderfull clasp of the AP RO Mbk is so hard to wear that I sold it...it's hurting my wrist in fact.

- the permanent missplaced swiss made on Pams

- ...the list is endless.

The truth to my humble opinion is:

- buy lots of reps and enjoy them as they are

- buy few reps and make them as close as possible

Cheers and sorry

I don't really want to spoil the party but if the collectors are not offering better stuff...I won't buy anymore.

Stephane

The super SD certainly looks good, and it appears to be water resistant also.

Remember that any non-WIS wouldn't:

a: even know what rehaut is

b: know what constitutes a "correct" cg and pearl

c: have any idea about the etched crown

Besides which, even gens have subtle changes over the production run, so who's to say what's "correct" at any given time?

WIS are different to "normal" people of course, and will pick up these tiny faults immediately.

But still, come on guys, this is a $300 watch :D Feel free to spend $4000 instead to fix these issues!

But still, come on guys, this is a $300 watch :D Feel free to spend $4000 instead to fix these issues!

Well said!!!!

I think the search for the Holy Grail is a vain attempt to make this $4000 vs $300 comparison moot. Certain replicas will be excellent visual reproductions and therfore attractive bargains for collectors who want a desireable design without paying the price. I think the obsessive detail nuts among us are more interested in the fantasy of walking into a Rolex AD some day saying "OK, let's go mano a mano...your genuine against my 1/20th the price rep...I bet you I have everything you have and didn't break the bank. Myself, I am somewhat put off by the "luxury" item marquee being the engine that is driving the Swiss watch industry's incredible comeback over the last 15 years but it saved the mechanical watch's ass as a viable product...it's just too bad that 35 years ago, you could buy a mass market Girard Perregaux Gyromatic at your jeweler for $75 and today...for an entry level GP...what are we talking??? 6K...10K????

It is only us being so anal when it comes to the accuracy of reps. The average person would not notice nor care. When was the last time someone busted you that you were wearing a rep? The SD is a nice watch, just like so many others. Is there such thing as a perfect rep? Even the Steelfish, PO, Link, and SMP Chrono have noticible flaws. Those are considered among the best reps of all time. Maybe they are intended not to be built perfect. I think the factories and designers purposely design reps not to be 100% accurate. China is the master of counterfeiting. They can duplicate very accurately everything from watches to cellphones, to clothing.

Ahh. Okay. I was under the impression that the He valve on the SD deployed automatically when a pressure delta in the case exists (whereas with the SMP, you have to unscrew the crown on the He valve in order for it to function). I didn't know you had to press the valve manually.

Thanks for all the great info!

Yeah, that's news to me too. Wow, interesting.

Definitely a super rep IMO. Despite minor flaws, it has a gen sort of feel to it. Fabulous watch.