When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What gen would you buy for $500-1000

Ylfig

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I pretty much wear on a daily basis. The Nixon Automatic. More of a trendy watch with the board crowd. (skate, surf, snow)

I got it from my brother who used to own a board shop. They retailed here in Canada for $900, but I got it for cost, around $500 with taxes.

It is one solid watch. Very big, and very heavy duty. ETA 2836-2 powered. Very nice for a boutique watch. All stainless, tungsten bezel, sapphire, screw down crown, WR to 200M. But like I said, it is more of a trendy watch for the boutique crowd. May not be your cup of tea.

Mine is the black face.

automatic.jpg

They also just released an all black version (pvd I think?):

NixonDannyWay.jpg

I personally have a strong affinity towards the Issey Miyake watch line. Their not swiss and (mostly) quartz, blasphemy, I know, but they do look really cool! The Twelve and To are the most modern IMO, and the Insetto has a nice steampunk feel to it, but costs $1000-3000. They aren't sold outside of Japan, but there are some retailers floating around.

Issey Miyake

As vbarrett said, the Seiko monsters are really nice (and impossible to kill) as are their knights, samurai, and dive watches (esp on a nato strap).

And PMWF has a few sub $1000 top 20 lists PMWF

I personally have a strong affinity towards the Issey Miyake watch line. Their not swiss and (mostly) quartz, blasphemy, I know, but they do look really cool! The Twelve and To are the most modern IMO, and the Insetto has a nice steampunk feel to it, but costs $1000-3000. They aren't sold outside of Japan, but there are some retailers floating around.

Issey Miyake

As vbarrett said, the Seiko monsters are really nice (and impossible to kill) as are their knights, samurai, and dive watches (esp on a nato strap).

And PMWF has a few sub $1000 top 20 lists PMWF

Try the Oris web site, I have the Nico Rosberg edition, nice watches.

If it was me I would scour the vintage market because for $900-$1000 you can get some sharp old Rolexes, Omegas, and so on....

The Breitling ColtOcean is, in my opinion, a real work of s--t, hideous bargain basement design, atrocious value for money, definitely upgrade to a superocean if you want this style.

Seiko is too low a brand to spend more than $500...

The FORTIS chronograph suggested by Nanuq would definitely be my #1 out of all of the suggestions here, I like that it has a day-date complication and the swiss movement means reliable chronograph... but still it doesn't have the "look factor" of a high-end brand.

But why not save up a little longer and get something with real value? This item is selling on ebay for $6,500. It is 44mm and made by perhaps the finest manufacturer in the world;

500d_3.JPG

And the value of that watch will only go up!

A lot depends on your taste, what is your taste? If you like "tool" watches I would recommend these brands:

Enzo

Bathys

Ocean 7

Oris

Glycine

Ball

Tissot

You can get new watches for the price you are looking for. If you want a genuine, but 2nd hand, check out all these watch forums:

Time Zone

Watch U Seek

They have a great selection of 2nd hand watches in the price range you are looking at. What I might buy for that price and what you may buy are different things or they could be the same thing. ;)

Seiko is too low a brand to spend more than $500...

Methinks the gentleman should do more research.

There are only two players in the world with manufacture movement, who build almost every part for their watches including their crystals... one is Seiko the other Rolex.

I guess you won't be buying any Tuna Can Divers ($1500+) nor Grand Seikos ($3000+) soon. LOL :)

I second pmwf.com as THE place for research into your question.

Edited by NotASolder

Not to sound like a d***, but if I had $500- to $1000 to spend on a gen, I wouldn't. At that level reps are nearly always a far superior value. Aside from the warranty you get with it, a $500 watch is unlikely to be significantly better than a good rep, probably won't have better fit and finish, will likely have a similar ETA movement, and will have zero brand cachet if you care about that. It just does not compute to cheapskate like me why anyone would spend $1000 on a 44mm 6497 Powered third tier branded watch when they can spend $800 on a modded watch that is effectively identical to a $4000 Panerai, or buy a collectable Seiko dive watch when the same money gets you a highly collectable modded MBK "$5000" LV that would fool almost anyone on the wrist

Methinks the gentleman should do more research.

There are only two players in the world with manufacture movement, who build almost every part for their watches including their crystals... one is Seiko the other Rolex.

And only one of those has a snowball's chance in hell of helping you get laid...