When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT Master - Oyster or Jubilee?

Nanuq

Which is the perfect match for a GMT, the jubilee or oyster bracelet?

Just to make a certain someone :whistling: happy, I fitted a folded links oyster to my GMT and took

a comparison shot. What do you think?

Jubilee

gmt_3c.jpg

Oyster

gmt_oyster.jpg

Just to make a certain someone :whistling: happy, I fitted a folded links oyster to my GMT and took a comparison shot. What do you think?
:D

Obviously I'd first have to say that "someone" clearly has superb taste :whistling:

Secondly, such a lovely shot for the Jubilee campaign but why such a quick and dirty pic for the Oyster? :o (hmmm, been reading the "Robert Mugabe Book of Democracy" have we? :brow:)

Well no surprises that I'm an Oyster man through and through - no offence intended but I see Jubilee-lovers as banjo-playing, sheep-worrying, nylon-wearing, Vegas-slot-playing throwbacks.

N - seriously, if you really can't stand the sight of that infidel folded Oyster on your beauty, then you could always send it on a little transatlantic trip ;)

Edited by docblackrock

The Jubilee band was standard issue when the GMT was first given out to PanAm.

Not true. PanAm and Alitalia approached Rolex waaay back in '53 to commission the GMT Master. The 6542 was borne followed by the 1675. All on Oysters, first rivetted then folded. It wasn't until the early '70s that a Jubilee became available as an alternative to the Oyster.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. So would a riveted bracelet be appropriate for a '64 GMT? I may be able to stomache that easier

than the ghastly folded oyster.

:yuk:

Hmmm, '64, yes I believe you could pull that off, same as you could drop a gilt dial and 'small' GMT hand.

Right now, gorgeous as she is, you have a '60's watch with a '70's bracelet with an (almost)'80's dial. Of course, that's merely a purist opinion, you spec her however you like.

"Ghastly" you say? We can't have you suffering like that, no no. You know what you have to do ;)

The interesting thing is that '64 was a big transitional year in the evolution of the GMT, a LOT of changes occured both cosmetic (CG's, dial etc) and internal (switchover from c.1565 to c.1575). So you could swing both ways, kick with either foot, bat for both teams etc. heh heh...

Me, I'd go as early original as I could get away with. You know I saw something interesting for you earlier, just have to dig it out, hold on....

Ah, here it is....

Rolex GMT-Master ref. 1675, cassa con spallette a punta, prodotto nel 1964.

Quadrante nero glossy con grafica oro e minuteria chiusa, definito "tropicale" per la tonalit

Edited by docblackrock

Which is the perfect match for a GMT, the jubilee or oyster bracelet?

Just to make a certain someone :whistling: happy, I fitted a folded links oyster to my GMT and took

a comparison shot. What do you think?

Jubilee

gmt_3c.jpg

Oyster

gmt_oyster.jpg

Why does it have to be either or??? ;)

Not true. PanAm and Alitalia approached Rolex waaay back in '53 to commission the GMT Master. The 6542 was borne followed by the 1675. All on Oysters, first rivetted then folded. It wasn't until the early '70s that a Jubilee became available as an alternative to the Oyster.

Actually, that's not true. At least in respects to 1675 (not 6542). I can agree that it appears to generally be true. But with all things Rolex, nothing remains today or in the past, entirely true.

Here's circa '60 Pointed Guard 1675 with 1565 and original to the watch Jubilee:

DSC02496-1.jpg

And here's circa '66 1675 with 1575 with original Jubilee:

MY-GMT-B.jpg

For 1960s 1675, Jubilee remained somewhat more common in North/South America and Asia whereas Europe tended to have more Oysters.

And there was good reason as to why many preferred the Jubilee.

The 1st generation 20mm Rivit Oyster was the dreaded stretch version which was an INSANE hair puller.

Anyhow, Juan Trippe requested that the PanAm watches be fitted with Jubilee due to the trouble with the stretch Oyster, and later due to the non-stretch Rivit stretching badly only after wearing one for 1 year. The public followed their beloved Boeing pilots and requested Jubilees. Interstingly, the GMT-I was the only sports model to sport (for lack of a better word) a Jubilee.

It's not possible to make a non-Pointy into a Pointy because the non-Pointy is lacking some metal where the Pointed Guard would begin its more relaxed slope. And, the Pointed Guard is larger on the underside than the non-Pointy.

Somewhere on one of the drives I have some comparison shots I took. It could take me years to find them :wacko:

Funny enough, I prefer my 1675 on leather. I admit that I go through periods of a few months at a time where I slap on a rivit Oyster. The same goes for the original Jubilee.

I don't quite know what I'm saying!

Ok, I do.

What I meant to say was that I like my 1675 on whatever I feel like slapping on. The watch looks great and feels great on any 3 combinations. The Oyster is the most plain looking and it makes the watch look like a plain ol' ubiquitous Sub. The Jubilee is really unique. The leather makes the watch look like a cheapo Lucerne or Buler dive watch. Or does it?

:crazy:

The 1675 is the best watch in the world. I really do think so. Ok, it's one of the best watches in the world :D

Oyster definitely. Original or not, I don't like the Jubilee on a GMT.

My old man had his GMT on a folded Oyster. How about that? It's flimsy as hell though... but SO "Rolex".

16701fp3.jpg

Nice Coke vic!

And so many nice pics.

GMT is the finest Rolex ever made. It's actually quite amazing that the 1675's haven't become more collectible than they are. While I understand the attraction of the DRSD and red 1680, they are no match to 1675. GMT is much more fascinating watch (imho). I think buying one now could be a good investment in the long run.

Nice Coke vic!

My football-loving dad calls it his Flamengo. Rubro-negro. :)

GMT is the finest Rolex ever made.

Strong opinion from a solid Rolex expert! I wonder if Stephane would agree?

BTW, I wasn't much for the GMT. It seemed fussy. I've TOTALLY changed my mind. It's perfect. My father absolutely adores his rep, and I think I'll sell some stocks to get him a gen for Christmas...might be a lean 2008 for me, but anything to make my dad happy. :)

Thanks vic. I'm not a Rolex expert though. Ubiquitous, Eunomians and Nanuq are experts. I'm just a fan.

I know the modern Rolexes (GMT, ExpII, Sub, SD) quite well, but the vintages... not so much.

Actually, that's not true. At least in respects to 1675 (not 6542). I can agree that it appears to generally be true. But with all things Rolex, nothing remains today or in the past, entirely true.The 1st generation 20mm Rivit Oyster was the dreaded stretch version which was an INSANE hair puller.
Ah I knew Euno would weigh in on this with his mk I '60's Jubilee. Very interesting, especially as I have never seen or come across one of these vintage Jubilees over here in EU.

I don't have FACT to back me up here, as simply none exists, but I have it good authority that this is one of those times when Rolex bracelet detail splits in two onto diverging paths. Early Jubilee were almost exclusively produced for the US (and possibly Asian) markets (same as the C&I bracelets), whereas Europe remained steadfastly Oyster. Possibly one of the reasons for this is that as I said earlier, a European national airline (Alitalia) was an original stakeholder/'interested party' in the commission of the GMT, yet for whatever reason did not follow through on order. The GMT 6542 became quite literally the PanAm watch (both pilots and the rare white-dialled ground crew version) and the rest is history.