When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dream details for those who are bored.....

Justasgood

First let me say that I have been collecting watches for well over 20 years. There was a time when I could buy vintage watches by the boxful at any Pawn shop.....now they act like big time Jewelers......anywho.......I have owned over 15 Various Rolex watches most of them subs and a Few Datejusts. The Sub, in my humble opinion, is the perfect watch......remember, that's just my opinion. The vintage subs have always held a very strong attraction namely the 5513.

My rep collecting began when I discovered this site.....or the old site......well, you get my meaning. Speaking of meaning, my login tells the whole story......let's be honest, aren't the Swiss ETA reps "Justasgood?.....well, almost.

So after many low end ETA subs, I discovered the MBW's....and I can't get enough.......vintage Sub MBW's of course.......modding them to within mm's of perfection was the challenge, but just as others have discovered.....you can make 'em look Gen.....you can even use gen parts......but what really makes a Rolex a Rolex......is the movement.

Fast forward.......just as Predfan has been seeking the perfect 5513.....so have I....... so now a start to my quest......an MBW 5513 Gilt with Poor dial and ETA Movement

Next; Gen Vintage Gilt 5513/5512 dial....may as well dream big...worth every dollar as you'll hear

018.jpg

Now a donor watch with a period correct movement....... along comes a 1961 Oyster Perpetual...I Paid $800.00...again, worth every $$

opcloseup.jpg

opmovement.jpg

Fun with the Donors:

011-1.jpg

Well, all was going well. The MBW case was modded, Gen tube, Gen Crown, Gen Complete NOS bezel assembly,Gen insert and Gen Bracelet were added. The lugholes were modded and gen springbars installed:

049.jpg

Now, all I needed were a vintage set of gilt hands and I am.....wait for it..........."Golden"...sorry, pun intended.

Well after months of angst and dead ends, I couldn't bring myself to install a new set of hands on such a beautiful dial......what's that? The Vintage parts market is going through the roof? Oh well, may as well offer up the dial to the collectors.........So I sold it..........Yeah, it hurt, I felt huge remorse and dammit, I know I'll never have another. But all that pain went away when the $$ hit my account......don't ask 'cause I ain't gonna tell....besides, you wouldn't believe me and you would probably hate me as well :D

So now what?

Well, I picked up a NOS Gen 5513 service dial and handset for a pretty good price......sent them over to my watchmaker who had serviced the movement, and threw it all together for me yesterday including a new Gen T-19....so for all the speculation as to wether a Gen Rolex movement can be used in an MBW.....and without further adieu I present some unPuglike pics......Comments always welcome :lol:

046-1.jpg

042-1.jpg

040-1.jpg

038.jpg

028.jpg

030.jpg

034.jpg

043-1.jpg

029.jpg

051.jpg

Recap ala Master card:

Gen 93150 bracelet with 501B end pieces - Market value $500 - $600

Gen NOS Dial and hands $550

Gen Crown/Tube $75.00

Gen gaskets $25.00

Gen springbars $12.00

Gen T-19 crystal $27.00

Gen caliber 1560 Chrnometer Movement with full service including New winding rotor $950.00

Gen NOS Bezel assembly with New Gen insert $275.00

MBW 5513 case modded by your's truly $375.00

Total cost....................... alot of $$

Wearing it and smiling everytime I look at it knowing Predfan is jealous.............Priceless......just kidding.....kinda

I hope you like it.....I sure do ;)

Boy, that brings back some memories. Your's looks just like the 80s vintage gen 5513 I had several years ago, except my pearl was missing (maybe that's why I take all of mine out??). As far as your statements about "Justasgood", I feel the same way. As I have said here before, I ended up smashing my gen 5513 against a concrete wall and boy was that costly. Had I known then what I know now, I could have fixed it myself. It wouldn't bother me near as much to damage a rep.

The good news for me is that I am finally confident enough with my watch skills that I am going to get a MBW next. I have disassembled and mod'ed to the point now that it is no big deal. The 5513 is my goal and though it may not be accurate, a MBW with a NDTRADING dial may be my only option (at least on my budget). One thing about it, I've enjoyed "vintaging" rep so much when I do get my 5513, it will look 30-40 years old. I just can't help it.

Great work and yes, I am very jealous!

Edited by predfan2001

Boy, that brings back some memories. Your's looks just like the 80s vintage gen 5513 I had several years ago, except my pearl was missing (maybe that's why I take all of mine out??). As far as your statements about "Justasgood", I feel the same way. As I have said here before, I ended up smashing my gen 5513 against a concrete wall and boy was that costly. Had I known then what I know now, I could have fixed it myself. It wouldn't bother me near as much to damage a rep.

The good news for me is that I am finally confident enough with my watch skills that I am going to get a MBW next. I have disassembled and mod'ed to the point now that it is no big deal. The 5513 is my goal and though it may not be accurate, a MBW with a NDTRADING dial may be my only option (at least on my budget).

Great work and yes, I am very jealous!

:p I am glad you have a sense of humor and you are feeling more confident to go after an MBW. I have an NDTrading dial and matching hands on the way to me ans should get here by Saturday. Nothing like having options eh?

let me know if I can help you with your project or parts.....I would be glad to help.

Thanks for your opinion and understanding :bleh:

Just beautiful. I can honestly say if I had put that together I think I would prefer it to the gen. You must get a wonderful feeling every time you look at it. Marvellous work.
I really do......strange huh? I guess that the participation in building and shaping it makes it different. Like Predfan, I also owned a late 80's Gen 5513 with the gloss dial and it was just another watch. However, this one will never see a sales corner. It has a home right next to my vintage Longines that I bought with some money my grandmaother left us when she passed away.

Thanks for your comments.

It has a home right next to my vintage Longines that I bought with some money my grandmaother left us when she passed away.

Aww...what is it with grandparents and Longines?

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=304639

P.S.: Your writer's strike rejoinder has me giggling every time I think of it.

Aww...what is it with grandparents and Longines?

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=304639

P.S.: Your writer's strike rejoinder has me giggling every time I think of it.

Yes well, don't get confused....had the money been left by my "Grandmother" the watch would have been long gone.....but fortunately, it was my "Grandmaother" which we all know means I'll take it to my grave ;) ....I need more coffee -_-

Yes well, don't get confused....had the money been left by my "Grandmother" the watch would have been long gone.....but fortunately, it was my "Grandmaother" which we all know means I'll take it to my grave ;) ....I need more coffee -_-

Ahh, you mean she was Irish? Good call. You can't mess that.

As a matter of fact....and with all kidding aside.......must fight urge for puns.........she was.........come to think of it, My Irish and German heritage explains alot........."hic"......"scuse me" :blink:

All Grandmaothers enjoy a bit of Laphroaig. I know my Scots grannie swore by it. Like a sailor.

All Grandmaothers enjoy a bit of Laphroaig. I know my Scots grannie swore by it. Like a sailor.

I've looked and read cover to cover..........but I don't see a reference for "Laphroig" in my "Idiots guide to the KamaSutra"......I thought for sure it would be listed under the "Like a Frog" section.............I mean, any position that causes you to "swear like a sailor" would certainly become a Goto favorite for me.......can you elaborate?