When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Posting for the sake of Posting

andreww

TTK you are joke, try to fulfill your orders rather than rambling on about other people posting.
Oooohhh......that's original.....a 28 year old brain with a 28 point IQ....you want some of me....I'll help you as well.....you just won't get off on the kind of help I'll give you...nowI know you feel you have something positive to contribute......so help the fight against global warming......shutup........!

Who are you sonny.....do I know you.....should I know you....do I wanna know you....easy answer....!

Edited by TTK

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Time, I believe to chime in with my thoughts.

This as a long term member of this and many other forums, not as a mod as such,

(although it helps to have a knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes)

The direction the forum has taken of late, has been a great concern to me personally.

There have been plentiful discussions privately, on this and other somewhat related matters.

Firstly, it is not within the powers of the admin team to act on anyone posting, until and unless rules are broken. (Even then it can take some time, as the team need to discuss these things)

However, I cannot say, I have been happy with the direction in which we have been heading, and the many posts from long term contributing members here, some who speak of leaving over this, can only be viewed with alarm.

From a mods point of view, we don

I would reply to TTK's rambling but since he was man enough to tattle on me to the admin, I have been asked not to insult our precious little Neil in fear of hurting his feelings. I am a man (dog) of my word, and so, I will leave Neil alone with his compositions.

Attention doughball.....STOP using my name in your threads.....or I WILL go to town on you.....you're a bumbling idiot....and I'm not the only one to adopt that POV.....I don't need Admin's help to put the village idiot in his place.....!

And get this straight......YOU and I are NOT buddies......YOU and I are NOT just having banter.....no matter how many times you try to convince yourself and the MODS......you're no buddy of mine......and as a matter of public record......I don't associate with idiots.....!

Yes, privately, members have raised this concern; the one option available appeared to be a private discussion with the poster, to try to have some areas of posting, become a little more focused, and less personality based.

I don't think the injection of personality is a problem. It's the injection of personality minus any topical content ad nauseam that's a problem, whether it be vbarret, TTGay, or anyone else. :lol: It's happening far too much now, both in the starting of new topics and in the hijacking of / thread crapping on existing ones.

To the newbies who say "But person X really helped me!" That's great. But the truth of the matter is that the forum as a whole is your greatest resource, not any single person. There is more collective knowledge here than anywhere else and nobody knows it all. That's what makes this place great.....Still. And I don't want to find myself having to restate that as "That's what made this place great........"

Although I disagree with the way some are handling this, I am glad it was brought up.

I guess many of us knew it would come to this.. People aren't saying she is a person that wishes harm on anyone, but rather that the quality of the forum is greatly reduced (and this does not only pertain to just one person) for contributing members, and members seeking related information. I have found some of vbarrett's topics amusing and informative, but there are limits for everything.

As far as the "Letting her know" some of of you are on about, you'd have to be pretty god damn blind not to see the signs. I have not sent a single PM about the matter, but I have seen people's growing disdain for it, and even direct polite remarks that have gone unheeded.

When it goes as far as highly respected members are tiring of the static, contemplating leaving or spending less time here it has got to stop. We can't afford losing many of them before this forum is in freefall.

-Ape-

Well I am watching this thread and tried to write as best as I could my opinion on this.

I couldn't have said it better than Ape....

Attention doughball.....STOP using my name in your threads.....or I WILL go to town on you.....you're a bumbling idiot....and I'm not the only one to adopt that POV.....I don't need Admin's help to put the village idiot in his place.....!

The deal was, you stay out of my threads, I stay out of yours. This thread is neither mine nor yours, it was originally started by "andrew". However, I will step up here and be the bigger man... you may think I'm an idiot, that's fine... heck, I don't consider myself the smartest guy in town, and I do not question your intelligence, sir, but you consistently insult other members here, and when you did it to me, it doesn't go away that easy (as you can tell). There is a reason I have targeted you - and you need to sit back, relax, sip some cocoa, and try to understand why exactly that is. A little politeness goes a long way my friend, and unfortunately when you decide to treat me with disrespect it gets to the point where you need to run screaming for help, cuz you know what, when it comes to situations like this, I don't back down that easily. Consider it my warning to you, leave me alone, for heaven's sakes, because I won't quit until you do.

Please do not reply to this post, just read and stop. I will make the agreement further... I won't even talk about you, at all, but you have to do the same. If you have the nerve to speak impolitely towards myself then you will feel the consequences and that is something you clearly do not want. So do not quote this post, do not reply to it, just take it into consideration. This will be the last message I ever write to you (yes - crack a joke - "thanks god"), and it would be in your best interest to keep it that way please. The ball is in your court, how you choose to play it is up to you... but remember... for every action there is an equal re-action.

For more information contact me privately, I will be happy to respond to any questions you may have.

As far as pointing out one persons faults on a forum such as this out in the open......well, thats in poor taste as I see it, as well as lacking in class. It is, however, apparent that there is a general feeling that this forum is losing its....uh,...personality....I guess. If thats the case then....how about everyone adding to the forum more and not less? That alone would give others more to read and the opportunity to skip over what they consider "lesser" topics and frivolity.

A PM says "I" feel .... a thread gives the opportunity to show the communities thoughts.

Also, please review Andreww's post, he does not say VB so blame should not be his for this, and if it was that obvious who he was talking about, maybe there really is a problem?

As far as pointing out one persons faults on a forum such as this out in the open......well, thats in poor taste as I see it, as well as lacking in class. It is, however, apparent that there is a general feeling that this forum is losing its....uh,...personality....I guess. If thats the case then....how about everyone adding to the forum more and not less? That alone would give others more to read and the opportunity to skip over what they consider "lesser" topics and frivolity.

Missing the point I'm afraid.

As I said earlier, you think those who have spoken out here LIKE to do this??? Was the last thing any of us wanted, but every other avenue was closed off in the end. Unfortunate and there's no pride here believe me, but sometimes you have to fight fire with fire, and the poor taste and lack of class you speak of barely registers on a level comparable to the tone of many of this member's posts.

As for the suggestion of posting more not less to drown out the spam, well easy to say but when senior members say things like "why should I bother spending hours doing up a review/thread/how-to" when almost immediately it is lost amongst the latest "which celebrity's wearing what?" thread". Even posting has become a chore to many, such is the plethora of drivel posted recently.

It's easy for emotions and immaturity (jsmith, corgi) to help us go off on a tangent.....but let's not lose sight of something very important (IMHO).

Andreww NEVER called anyone out. He made a point that obviously others were thinking as well.

The VERY NEXT post was our dear miss V (victim?) jumping right into the mix. No reason to cut and paste what she said.....just go have a look at page one yourself.

I believe she could have handled it much better than she did. Her responses show her character (or lack thereof). That's my opinion.

As for the comment regarding money (I can't remember which whiner brought it up...and don't care to go look) I've put in more in one donation than you and the other sycophant (or is it psychophant :p ) have combined.

If you want to say that money matters.....how much would I have to put in to minimize the drivel spouting like a fountain from south Florida?

I agree with andreww and could not put it any better than TTK and some others.

We should all take note.....tread carefully at this point because we have apparently been put on notice from our dear victimized associate.... :rolleyes::harp:

"This type of cyber-gang ups will be responded to in due course."

Being such an afficianado of film.....the next thing we may hear is....

"Say hello to my little friend!" (It's a south Florida thing...) :gun2:

elwopo

my immaturity???/ Because I dont get all caught up or upset when someone on an internet forum posts random stuff. All the good reviews and what not are stickied so it doesnt drown them out. Call me immature if you want but in reality its only an internet forum and if she wants to post all the time so be it.

It's a real, single person? I always figured it was a team of people trying to liven up the forum by posting constantly under a female persona to get the boys in a tizzy... Miss Understood to the next level... Oh well. who knew...

That actually makes sense. It would certainly explain the experiences, stories, and background(s) :g:

I've been reading this post with mixed feelings, for whilst I agree with both Ape and DBR's assessment of the situation, I'm less comfortable with the 'witch-hunt' feeling.

I joined this forum because I am fascinated with the minutiae of mechanical watches - the sheer volume of detailed information available to me was astounding on first encounter, and still remains so today; I feel privileged to be a part of a community that includes so many knowledgeable, intelligent and entertaining members.

However, over the last couple of weeks, I've been less inclined to read all the 'new posts' since one name seems to dominate, and what's more this name seems to be the most recent poster no matter what time of the day that I log on. It's not that I disagree with this persons comments or posts, but they have become slightly egocentric, to the point where you realise that the post is no longer a discussion, merely a soapbox.

Picking up on Neil's favourite pub analogy, I'll add that in the real world the 'been there/done that/bought the T-shirt' character inevitably ends up alone - sure, it's interesting to listen to for a while, even play along in someone else's fantasy, but it becomes boring quickly and the audience will soon start to heckle, talk amongst themselves, or leave.

I came here to learn about watches goddammit, can we get back to that now please? ;)

Travel for a day and you miss quite a bit. :huh: This is one of the most vitriolic loops I have ever seen. What is most disturbing is that one person can cause so much aggravation. I will assume that this has been directly discussed with VB via pm. If not than shame on everyone.

I do have to say that the increasing incessant and often irrelevant posting has become annoying. And yes, if I think about it, posts of this nature have caused me to spend less time here or not bother with many threads when I am. But we have seen this before with other well-meaning noobs and they eventually slow down. A number have become valued members of our forum. And, after all, life is a recurring pattern.

What is alarming based on reading this thread is that in this case it appears that all these posts are coming from someone who is leading an imaginary life??? It is not maddening. It is saddening if this is the case. The other revealing element of this loop is the amount of animosity being voiced by a number of folks who are long time friends and the fact that they would take the time to do this level of research and actually make these posts. To VB I have to say - it now appears there is more abhorrence of you than I have seen of people who are known to have stolen money from forum members. But the loop also shows you have friends here as well as detractors.My advice to you is to simply slow down and settle-in.

Ona a larger level the solution in this situation seems fairly obvious. If there is a general consensus (and there appears to be) that there is too much spamming whatever you want to call it taking place from any one member than the member should be asked to slow down their posting. If the person complies life is good. Those who are friendly with the member can continue their forum relationship with the member and it makes the member think twice before posting. And that way the forum member has the choice to comply and remain on the forum or to leave. Ultimately, if the forum member cannot comply for whatever reason be it political, psychological or whatever than they are banned.

Ona a larger level the solution in this situation seems fairly obvious. If there is a general consensus (and there appears to be) that there is too much spamming whatever you want to call it taking place from any one member than the member should be asked to slow down their posting. If the person complies life is good. Those who are friendly with the member can continue their forum relationship with the member and it makes the member think twice before posting. And that way the forum member has the choice to comply and remain on the forum or to leave. Ultimately, if the forum member cannot comply for whatever reason be it political, psychological or whatever than they are banned.

@W

The voice of wisdom...

Indeed a [daily] limit would seem to be a good option...

Say...

Oh, I don't know...

Maybe...

Around...

10-15...

Problem solved...

VB, I know you've been reading all day, though not replying [some things you cannot hide]...

Consider this a pleasant request [at this point]...

TT

I don't get to publicly address issues where members want to leave based on an event like this but hell, I get to dabble with my opinion over here on RWG. My opinion may sound RWI'ish but it is what it is (my opinion) but if members are threatening to leave over this (not this thread but what it addresses) that would be a sad and silly act on their part. IMO, something has been bothering them more than this because this is silly stuff yet they choose to use this as an excuse to voice their frustration. It is most likely burnout but burnout can be multi-faceted.

I probably care to much which is why comments like this [censored] me off (as an administrator).

But I've been wrong before. Please flame gently :)