When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The history of RWG?

llsteve80

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

I thought I'd bump this thread since it was raised in another topic.

The membership and original mod team of this forum (most still in the current team) used to reside on another domain prior to 2006, but when the admin of that forum disappeared and it looked like the bills would no longer be paid a rescue effort was launched which was this forum on a safer basis here. The members here 'are' RWG and always have been.

It was just as well, because the old forum did end up disappearing and the database being lost. RWG meanwhile has managed to continue on a safer basis for our growing membership for approaching four years now.

There are no links between RWG and the purchase of the old domain name by a (yet another) new forum.

The membership and original mod team of this forum (most still in the current team) used to reside on another domain prior to 2006, but when the admin of that forum disappeared and it looked like the bills would no longer be paid a rescue effort was launched which was this forum on a safer basis here. The members here 'are' RWG and always have been.

It was just as well, because the old forum did end up disappearing and the database being lost. RWG meanwhile has managed to continue on a safer basis for our growing membership for approaching four years now.

There are no links between RWG and the purchase of the old domain name by a (yet another) new forum.

I'm not stirring the pot here, I'm really not but I feel I should just make a few things clear.

I joined RWG.com back in 2007, followed by RWI, RG and here, RWG.cc a little while later, in that order. TRC was still running but my ageing brain cells can't remember if I was able to sign up there as well.

Anyway, when RWG.com imploded, this forum offered the members a temporary home here, for which we are still grateful. The refugee threads can still be viewed here to this day.

During this short period, Greg and Col decided to reform the old board as RWG.net. It ran under this guise for 14 months, steadily growing.

When the original RWG.com domain came up for auction, the staff there decided to bid for it against five other parties.

This was done for two reasons. Firstly, to prevent any would be scammers from using the old boards good name for ulterior motives and secondly to give .net it's identity back.

It was only fitting that RWG.net became RWG.com again as it was THE direct descendant of the original board.

As I stated at the begining of this post, I'm not trying to cause any problems between the forums, I'm just making clear exactly where this 'new forum' has it's roots...

Cheers, Bobby...

Hi Bobby,

Believe it or not we don't want problems either but we have found ourselves in a position where we had to set some facts straight.

What RWG 1:1 did was to set up a new board when the old one died, the problem is they were the second reincarnation, we did that years before hand and when we went we took the vast majority of the members, as much of the knowledge base as we could and the whole feel of the old forum...simply we were and always have been RWG.

Back on the old board the ship was sinking fast and the captain had long since fled leaving a few brave souls who decided to go down with the ship. Then a strange thing happened the ship, as luck would have it, was in shallow water and rested on the bottom, it was still taking a battering from the waves and slowly breaking up but those brave souls who stayed aboard saw this as an opportunity to party hard and slowly others ventured out to the bright lights.

Then one day the grand old boat could take no more and toppled over to rest under the waves, we rescued the handful of people that stayed with her until the end and we gave them shelter until they got another boat afloat but then lo and behold they buy the name and christen their new boat the SS.RWG and bestow on us the title of RWG2.

That title came from another misinformed johnny come lately but at least could be argued to be correct whilst the old board was still afloat, but not any longer, every VIP member and forum moderator of the old RWG voted to move lock stock and barrel to this new site.

We are RWG, we always have been and always will be.

Ken

KB...I think it is more accurate to say that the old 'Captain' at the original RWG went down in his Acura...rather than a boat.

He had a great Avatar.

If I remember correctly was he the one with the Penguin tripping the other Penguin??? :g:

It was hillarious!!

If I remember correctly was he the one with the Penguin tripping the other Penguin??? :g:

It was hillarious!!

Yes the Penguin was cute but not that cute....BLADE was not so cute in the end and tripped some of us :( but lets not forget that there is some truth in the saying that The Winners Get To Write History...would be interesting to hear BLADEs side of the story one day

I am always of the school of thought that the team is only as good as it's leadership, and our leadership seems to be almost the same as day one, if I understand correctly.. and the entire team is comprised of it's members..

Semantics aside and the "chicken or the egg" being an age long debate.. I believe, if the Leadership that is still largely in place on "this" board .. and by all accounts the bulk of the membership.. then it makes sense to me that we think of ourselves as still the original.

If a ship is sinking and the crew transfers to it's sister ship still flying the same colours but the sinking ship runs aground.. hasn't the crew abandoned ship but taken it's "flag" along with them.. ??.. Now the sinking ship runs aground and does not sink but the bulk of the membership .. all but a few has already planted it's "flag" on another seaworthy vessel.. and is flying it's colours "still"...and steering a course for calmer more prosperous waters.. and working to grow it's "Nation" for lack of a better word.

How many crisis situations have been fought to secure the well being of that Nation and it's colours..

in other words the membership as a whole, with "free will" planted it's colours on a more stable vessel.. ergo, claiming the new vessel home and Country....

Regardless of the ongoing debate which may never be resolved...it seem evident to at least this member, that we are and will be with Our membership, RWG.. not 1 nor 2 nor 3.. Just RWG, we are second to no board..we have the flag and the original members here.. and most importantly most of the original Leadership.

Isn't there Admin members on RWG that are also Admin members on RWI??..

I suppose when RWG's domain came up for auction the powers that be here decided it was not that important to purchase it, since we are what we are..

But I have been bothered to some extent by the claims of a co-Admin on 2 fora's claiming that we are RWG'2' .. How can you be flying 2 separate flags and claiming to be the "Original" forum still ??

I've never played or coached 2 separate teams and recruited for one over the other..

"Recruiting".. is this what is happening ?? just a thought.. but at times that is what it appears to be.. with posts complementing RWG "here" and then in the next breathe claiming to be the original RWG..

We have been through many conflicts here with our Home.. and there will be many more I'm sure.. the membership spans much farther back than 2006.. it is what it is.. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Bobby in your first post you asked questions, these questions related to a time before you were a member of any of the forums.

I politely and concisely demonstrated why we have stronger claims to the name than the boys at 1:1

You chose not to accept this, if you have facts that refute my claims please post them.

Otherwise take your own advice

I'm not stirring the pot here

And don't stir the pot.

Ken

Bad form Lani...no need to get personal...:(

edit: which is why I never mentioned being deleted regarding the domain being won at auction here within a few minutes of posting on the 28th last month...

"Personal".. what is personal.. questions and thought's ?? opinion.. conjecture ??.. to win something it has to be challenged .. no ?? if there is no interest in the competition then how can it be a victory..

Salvage has been talked about.. well, if we were to go on pure Admiralty Law .. then here is is.

Salvage is the process of rescuing the hull, equipment or cargo of a ship or boat that has suffered a mishap at sea. Generally the crew have lost control of or abandoned the ship due to sinking, being stranded on rocks or aground on a shallow sea bed , or simply because its means of propulsion has failed and it is drifting with the wind and tide.

and if a team "rescued" the sinking or grounded ship then that team has the rights to the ship... I'm just debating or arguing .. the point.. and any underlying issues that I see in my minds eye.. nothing personal .. .

there is always passive aggressive posts to attract members to other fora's.. I would be very naive, not read between the lines .. that in and of itself should be taken "personal".. but they (posts) have to my knowledge, not been... if anything we should take it as a personal attack when an admin from another (2) fora's uses those tactics..

call it my way of asking that it not be practiced.. if it wasn't intended to accomplish recruiting.. Then why was is done in the first place ?.. hard to call it a gray area, when it is done time and time again, by an Admin that belongs to multiple fora's.. and calls this forum "number 2". If we are truly one in the same then why the numerical classification ??

I would not have an issue if we were truly one RWG.. weather there are 2 separate boards or just one.. but to be "marketed" as "2" and not by our leadership.. then there is an issue ..although in principal and having nothing to do with monies at all.. we are a community of strong principals.. IMHO..

This RWG (rwgforum) is probably the very best replica watch forum around and I think that it deserves its name RWG

I am happy to have this RWG to visit and appreciate the efforts done here and I clearly seee I benefit from its existence. You have done a good jobb KB, Thomas, Nanug and all the others. Thank you rwgforum :group:

Obviously this forum is not the original RWG but is an amalgam of TRC and the old RWG

The main reason for this direction is likely do to the central administrator being TRC (and being a Liverpool FC supporter the Adm is clearly a good man and he lives in a place with deep snow like myself so is a fellow scandinavian)

This forum is now much more similar to what TRC was than it is like the pre 2005 RWG was, but I still feel that the RWG component here is sufficient. It is the closest thing to my old home as there is available. It is regretably less flamable than the old board was but the reasons why are understandable. Obviously some of the best replica watch geeks have left us for different reasons and that is a shame. However things change and must change and and should change and so this forum has changed accordingly.

Long live RWG and TRC :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Time is money

Gunnar The exAx

Edited by Gran

Bobby in your first post you asked questions, these questions related to a time before you were a member of any of the forums.

I politely and concisely demonstrated why we have stronger claims to the name than the boys at 1:1

You chose not to accept this, if you have facts that refute my claims please post them.

Otherwise take your own advice

And don't stir the pot.

Ken

This is my last post on the matter Ken. I feel my silence after this post will prove that I'm not trying to stir anything.

At which point in my initial post did I ask a question, I've looked real hard and still can't find one?

I simply made clear to any who were uninformed as to exactly where this 'new forum' (as it was called by CS) formed from .com's ashes in 2008, had its roots, no more, no less.

Regarding 'pot stirring', again, anyone who cares to back track and read my posts will see that I, like you Ken, were both concise and polite too.

The member who decided to change the threads tone is plain for all to see. I can sort of understand his reasons, as maybe he wasn't aware that when Replica Watch Guide and Replica Watch Group ran as seperate entities on the internet for some time, that one was always referred to as RWG2, no malice was intended then and none is now.

Anyway, I didn't mean to ruffle anybody's feathers, as all the rep boards out there each have their own merits and share a common goal, to prevent newbie’s from being scammed and a place where like-minded watch lovers can gather...

Peace Ken...;)

Edited by sconehead

The member who decided to change the threads tone is plain for all to see. I can sort of understand his reasons, as maybe he wasn't aware that when Replica Watch Guide and Replica Watch Group ran as seperate entities on the internet for some time, that one was always referred to as RWG2, no malice was intended then and none is now.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

So it's safe to call you all RWG 2010 ?? .. since it's now another new Admin ova thar.. :)

I'm here for all to see.. no doubt ..

I think anyone at RWG2010 would feel the same If I posted there in reference to whatever number I or we chose to label you all with.. and made more reference to this board having all the "original members" and most of the Mod crew..From the old Domain..

And I will be straight up in my comments..

And If you feel that my "Tone" was negative or demeaning then .. I have no problem taking responsibility for that .. I won't beat around and hint at what is or is not..

So be it .. There comes a time when I speak my mind after reading posts that refer to us as a "copy"..

Malama Pono

R

Peace to you to Bobby

And let me say we have always considered Gregr and TB to be friends (I have had beers with TB) but if one of my friends starting using my name I would get right in his face and ask "Who the hell does he think he is?"

Do you think it would change my attitude if he replied "But I bought your name!"

Ken

"If you call a tail a leg, how many legs has a dog? Five? No, four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."

- Abraham Lincoln

In the same way, putting the name "Rolex" on this does not make it a Rolex. It is a replica, no better than similar to the real thing, even if it contains some real parts.

In the same way, putting the name "RWG" on a website does not make it the "real" RWG if it is no more than a replica. Even if it contains some "real" parts.

What is a "Guide?" It is a repository of information, directed by persons tasked with maintaining its integrity.

Where is this large repository? Here.

Where are the persons tasked with maintaining that repository? Here.

I submit the "Guide" is here.